Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong DVD Info Request

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Hong Kong DVD Info Request

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 08:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to DVD (player is on its way so I am a total newbie) and I'm of course just beginning my DVD library. One of my favorite filmmakers today is China's Zhang Yimou and checking ebay I find a number of his films are available on DVD from sellers in Hong Kong.

Can someone advise if these are pretty reliable, I do wish more of them took PayPal or easier ways of paying for them than sending cash or costly BidPay.

Looking forward to my DVD player, and lots of great viewing, will appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Old 06-20-01, 09:05 PM
Suspended

You can click on any of the usernames on Ebay to view a history of past transactions. I wouldn't recommend new sellers, only those who have a good user feedback. I hope this helps. =)
Old 06-21-01, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by dragon1509
...I wouldn't recommend new sellers, only those who have a good user feedback. I hope this helps. =)
Hang on, that's a bit harsh! How does someone get good user feedback if no-one buys off them in the first place?
Old 06-21-01, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Not buying from new sellers is just a safety precaution. I only recommend it if you want to be extra careful. Even the news has warned about new sellers selling counterfeit and stolen stuff. I've been ripped off by new sellers three times.
Old 06-21-01, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

Back to the Hong Kong videos?

Thanks for the comments, but it looks like this thread is more on ebay than on the Hong Kong videos, and that is my primary question - I buy and sell on ebay and have for some time, and always check feedback before bidding. And you are right, sometimes one has to risk a newbie seller and hope for the best.

Let me try this rephrasing this question, the movies I'm looking at right now, for example, are some by Zhang Yimou that aren't available here in any format - such as his The Road Home. This is up on ebay by a seller from Hong Kong and I'm wondering how reliable the quality of such a DVD would be? Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-22-01, 02:26 AM

I too had this issue with HK films. I have learned over the past months that while u can get some, lets say, dodgy work u can also get some classics.

If you want you can check out some HK online dealers who may even be able to offer u a better deal. My favourite,no plug by the way, is:

http://www.dddhouse.com/

and
http://www.hivizone.com

is pretty good.

Be careful that u are not spending more than u can afford to lose that is something I have realised.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-01, 08:55 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks!

Thanks much Saviola, that is just what I was looking for, I'll give them a try!
Old 06-22-01, 09:01 AM
Cool New Member

Regions?

After checking those sites out, I have another question about regions. They listed releases as being for region 3, does that mean a type of code that players read? I said I was a newbie! Thanks
Old 06-22-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pancks: ...go here:

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

. . .
Old 06-22-01, 11:44 AM
Cool New Member

My thanks!

Thanks very much, that answered my question!