Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiki's Delivery Service - should I get the Japanese DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Kiki's Delivery Service - should I get the Japanese DVD?

Old 06-18-01, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there everybody. I was wondering if Disney, in their infinite wisdom, has any plans of releasing Kiki's Delivery Service to the US DVD market... if not I'm going to buy the Japanese 2-disc set, since it just came out here in Japan.

I only ask because it'll be a bit easier for me to play US region DVDs when I come back to the US, and the Japanese disc is a bit pricey at about $45. For those curious, it does have English and Japanese subtitles and audio tracks (2 channel stereo). Didn't think to check if it was anamorphic when I was looking at the box today...

By the way, if anyone really wants this I'd be happy to pick up some extra copies. Not dozens and dozens though. =)
Old 06-18-01, 05:42 PM

It doesn't have English subtitles...it has English dubtitles, accordingly. And the dub is from Disney's version (I think) or the Streamline version. Not sure which they used.

But get it because I doubt Disney will ever release another Miyazaki film until Eisner is kicked out of office. Long story...
Old 06-18-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is indeed anamorphic (1.85:1 aspect ratio).

-matt
Old 06-18-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts
Originally posted by The Eigeman
It doesn't have English subtitles...it has English dubtitles, accordingly. And the dub is from Disney's version (I think) or the Streamline version. Not sure which they used.

But get it because I doubt Disney will ever release another Miyazaki film until Eisner is kicked out of office. Long story...
Care to elaborate? I loved Mononoke, and would like to see more of his stuff. Did Disney just buy up the rights to sit on them so they couldn't compete with their all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world?

tks
Old 06-19-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. i will have to see how i can get my hands on it. since it was one movie i watched blindly and really really liked. I say pick it up considering how disney takes it time for disc, and movies that are not the pure main stream. besides. i doubt disney will ever put a 2 disc dvd if it is not a hot disney classic.
Old 06-24-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kiki's Delivery Service (Majo no Takkyubin) 2-dvd version comes with a very nice 5 minute extra (on the 2nd DVD) that was originally only sold as a standalone Video CD single (5 inch laserdisc). This is the video (set to background music) of the fantastic illustration by Ursula which she showed to Kiki. I almost almost almost almost commissioned an artist to make a duplicate of this painting for my personal collection. The cost of $600 finally persuaded me not to, but it was a very close call. Perhaps one day, I might try again. It would be a very nice illustration to hang up on the wall.

If Disney releases a USA version, you can probably expect another barebones version; i.e. you won't get many of the extras included with the homage Japanese version.

So, if you are sitting on the fence, my personal recommendation is that if you are a serious fan you should get this Japanese DVD set.

Disc ID: VWDZ-8008
Released: June 6, 2001
Discs: 2
Length: 117 min, 219min with additional stuff
Price: 4935 yen
Video: 16:9 LB
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0ch
Old 06-24-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ive never seen the movie but I will be soon due to a friends recommendation but I heard from a reliable source that it will probably be out on DVD at the beginning of the year.

Old 06-24-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may indeed come out on Region 1 someday, but if it does, expect a "lesser" version - according to Disney, this is a "kids movie".

So, I'd say, if you can play it, get it.

(I did!)

Old 06-24-01, 10:41 PM
Banned

Dubtitles are the subtitles that are taken from the dubbed version of the movie and not the subtitles of the translation of the original Japanese. I like the movie, but the English is often inaccurate.