Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Strongly Considering Folding DVD International Forum into DVD Talk and DVD Bargains

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Strongly Considering Folding DVD International Forum into DVD Talk and DVD Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like we get between 1-3 threads in this forum a day, so it may make sence to fold this forum into the DVD Talk and DVD Bargain forum.

Old 06-16-01, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by gkleinman
Looks like we get between 1-3 threads in this forum a day, so it may make sence to fold this forum into the DVD Talk and DVD Bargain forum.

aargh.. not again

I would argue that the small volume of posts/threads in this forum is a good reason to keep it separate from dvd talk and dvd bargains - if it were to be merged into either (or both) of those forums then the small volume of "international" posts would get lost in mass of other posts.

Myself I’d believe that the number of threads in this forum is low because there is only a minimal amount of junk. Unlike some of the other forums, which include numerous duplicate threads and oft asked questions, the international forum has maintained a fairly good signal-to-noise ratio. Just because I don’t feel the need to post a “me too” message every time I visit, it does not mean that I don’t come here..

What does it “cost” dvdtalk to keep this as a separate forum? What would you gain from doing away with this particular forum?

Hemulen
Old 06-16-01, 09:43 PM

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Hemulen.

The low number of International forum posts makes it easy to run through those that interest me, but stick them into the bigger DVD Talk and DVD Bargain forums and they wil be lost.

I have long since stopped regularly checking out both of those forums as they are plagued with repeated topics, irrelevant topics and plain rubbish. Toss the International forum into them and the topics will be lost in a mass of stuff that I simply will not bother to wade through.

Ian
Old 06-17-01, 12:52 AM
Banned

Please don`t fold this forum into the others.
Old 06-17-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hemulen is right.

Putting this forum in with the BARGAINS forum could mean that most of the good international threads and bargains would get lost in the heap.

Also, most of the threads in International forum are
relavent and free of junk.
Old 06-17-01, 02:23 AM

I totally agree with the other comments made in this thread: keep this forum seperate please!
Old 06-17-01, 02:32 AM

Yes, leave it like it is please. In a big forum, international threads will be lost...
Old 06-17-01, 02:55 AM
Cool New Member

I totally agree; it's very convenient to find the international deals in a separate forum.

///Martin
Old 06-17-01, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Geoff,

My name is Keyser, and I'm an OTTER from the FARM.

I like this as a separate forum, because it is easy for me to come in here, and see what is being talked about in other "region" DVDs. I have a region free player, and this is where I can come and read up on what people like/dislike in the DVDs I can't pick up domestically here.

I say, leave it this way.

-k
###
Old 06-17-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may have never found dddhouse or TAU if the threads get buried too quickly. Please keep this area separate!
Old 06-17-01, 09:26 AM
Cool New Member

Not this again....

NO! You've already removed the only other useful forum, don't lose the remaining one.
Old 06-17-01, 12:48 PM

I'd like to echo everything Hemulen stated above. Please don't can my favorite forum! If you can live with a BookTalk, VideoGameTalk, and Other forum, you can certainly allow this DVD related forum to exist!!!
Old 06-17-01, 01:28 PM
Registered

Thanks for your feedback. I post messages like this because I'm thinking about something and want feedback.

Again, I'm in consideration space, no decision has been made either way.
Old 06-17-01, 01:58 PM

Geoff, you should also take the "views" into account IMHO. Some threads have low posts, while the views are a large multiple of the posts. This should also be an indication of the traffic in this International folder.

For example, I'm sure many read this thread and didn't bother posting a "I agree too" because it's been said many times already. I know I wouldn't if I didn't think of the Views arguement.

So for the record, "I agree too!"

Old 06-17-01, 03:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like a separate forum although perhaps the name could be changed to something like International Bargains and DVD. I know it is a hodge podge but if "folded back" there'd have to be a "rule" about prefacing posts with "INTERNATIONAL:" and [BANNING] US members who got pissy when their forum received the odd post that they mistakenly deemed to be off-topic.

Is there a finite number of forums using this software? I was wondering if the abolition of "International" would be a precursor to the establishment of, say, a music forum....
Old 06-17-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you can please leave the Intl forum where it is now Geoff, there have no new posts because we are from different countries.If I were to post every single DVD released in Japan then you would have a larger posting but is that what we want this forum to be like?
Old 06-17-01, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by gkleinman
Again, I'm in consideration space, no decision has been made either way.
Geoff,

I would say that if you are seriously having to consider space, then I would seriously consider removing one of the other forums that have nothing (or at least, very little) to do with DVD. After all, this is the DVDTalk Forum is it not - and the International forum does deal with DVD specifically does it not?

I think that Hemulen summed it up very well when he made his comment about signal-to-noise ratio - this is a very well behaved and civil forum, and as such there is little in the way of unneccessary posting that goes on.

regards, Tim...
Old 06-17-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with what others have said here, if at all possible please keep this forum open.

-g
Old 06-17-01, 09:43 PM

Keep it open please
Old 06-17-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living out of country this would seem the best place to look for certain information. Canada ain't so far away but we sure do some things different.
Old 06-17-01, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Kumar J
If I were to post every single DVD released in Japan then you would have a larger posting but is that what we want this forum to be like?
I for one would love it if someone from Japan would perhaps start a weekly thread detailing the latest DVD releases and include information on their extras, audio, and if the title is 16X9 or not. Threads like that from any country would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-01, 11:27 PM
Registered

OK..

Thanks for your comments. I'll keep it open!