Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for recommendations on WW2 movies from other countries

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Looking for recommendations on WW2 movies from other countries

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently, dvd_fan recommended a Finnish World War 2 to me movie called Rukajarven tie (aka Ambush). I made a trade for this import DVD and really enjoyed the film and the DVD presentation itself. This has got me curious as to if there are other movies based on WW2 made in other countries. Surely there are but what are there names? If I have a title I can at least check them up at IMDb. I loved the U.S. movies Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line and Ambush was right up there with them IMO. Most importantly, I want other DVDs with English subtitles, 16X9 enhancement, anh hopefully a 5.1 soundtrack. So what can you recommend for me?

Old 06-11-01, 01:34 AM

There are three great Soviet WWII movies now availible in the U.S.: Torpedo Bombers, Ballad Of a Soldier and The Cranes Are Flying. These films have been much acclaimed; the last two are probably the best known in the U.S. as both had seen VHS releases and both were awarded major prizes at Cannes.
But don't expect a lot of battle scenes in these films as they all concentrate more on how the war changed lives of ordinary Soviet citizens, suddenly faced with a task of defending their homeland against the invaders, testing their character.
These discs contain optional English 5.1 Dubbing and optional English subtitles.
To buy go to http://www.st-p.com/ecategory.asp?category=dvd
There are some other great WWII films from Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and other countries, but they are not availible on DVD yet.
Old 06-11-01, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh, let's see now...

...two German movies about WW II, both available on R1 DVD:

* Das Boot

* Stalingrad

...one Dutch movie about WW II, directed by Paul Verhoeven of "Robocop" fame, R1 DVD released by Anchor Bay...

* Soldier Of Orange

...and if you can Play R2/PAL discs, here are some British WW II movies:

* In Which We Serve

* We Dive At Dawn

* The Battle Of The River Plate

* A Matter Of Life And Death

...Enjoy!...

. . .

Old 06-12-01, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!

Are there any more recent good WW2 flicks from the 80s and 90s that are worth checking out???
Old 06-24-01, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure when it was made but I've heard Admiral Yamamoto is supposed to be pretty good. It stars Toshiro Mifune, but unfortunately the only DVD I've found so far is R3 and no english subs
Old 06-24-01, 11:51 PM

my contribution . . .

Talk about Finnish movies, I've heard good things about the WINTER WAR, but only on VHS.

From Germany there's CROSS OF IRON, practically devoid of special features, but interesting nevertheless. There's also MEIN KREIG, a documentary of actual WWII footage with narration from veterans. Haven't seen this one, though.

Old 06-25-01, 11:54 AM

A beautiful Japanese World War II anime from 1988 is GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (Hotaru no haka). No battle scenes, though.
Old 06-27-01, 02:42 AM

Re: my contribution . . .

Originally posted by gopeglegs!
Talk about Finnish movies, I've heard good things about the WINTER WAR, but only on VHS.
I've heard that Winter War is coming soon to DVD.

From Germany there's CROSS OF IRON, practically devoid of special features, but interesting nevertheless.
According to IMDb, it's pan and scan so I'll pass on that one.
Old 06-27-01, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by marie_D
A beautiful Japanese World War II anime from 1988 is GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (Hotaru no haka). No battle scenes, though.
Used to own it but didn't care for it. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.
Old 06-27-01, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Winter War is available now on R1 DVD directly from http://www.belleandblade.com/. Their site is a pain to use and is never clear on which titles are out on DVD so it's best to call with any questions. I have this excellent film on VHS from them so I haven't gotten around to upgrading to DVD yet. The VHS is framed at about 1.66:1 so I would imagine the DVD is the same.

They also have Stalingrad: Dogs, You Want to Live Forever? out on DVD but I haven't seen this one so I can't comment on it.

Cross of Iron is available in an anamorphic widescreen PAL R2 edition. This is a British re-release of the French Studio Canal version.

Mein Kreig is available on a R1 DVD from Kino, distributed by Image.

Oh, and if anyone else is interested in getting Rukajärven Tie, I ordered a copy from http://www.filmifriikki.fi/ for $18.92 (including shipping -- pretty favorable exchange rate) and received the disc in less than a week. Their site is in Finnish so you have to sort of muddle through the checkout process and they never did send a confirmation email.

[Edited by mugwump on 06-27-01 at 06:11 AM]
Old 06-28-01, 10:34 AM

Pre-order "Enemy At The Gates". I really loved the movie. I have mine pre-ordered already. Would you care for 'Great Blunders of WWII"? I think it was an interesting documentary.
Old 06-28-01, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by dvdordie
Pre-order "Enemy At The Gates". I really loved the movie. I have mine pre-ordered already. Would you care for 'Great Blunders of WWII"? I think it was an interesting documentary.
I plan on getting this one as well.
Old 06-28-01, 04:06 PM

Definately get the Winter War (Talvisota as we call it in Finland)! The older B&W movie as there are two different ones. Hopefully we'll get it on DVD soon. I also have the Ambush but I haven't watched it yet (just a 2 minute segment to check the quality). I was stunned by its picture quality, being a movie made here in Finland in the middle of polar bears. (We don't have them here but a lot of my american friends thought so, who also thought we are part of Russia or a city in Canada
Old 06-28-01, 04:33 PM

Yeah, Soldier of Orange is a great movie, highly recommend it. Also, A Bridge Too Far (also takes place in Holland) is a wonderful film with lots of star power (Sean Connery, Sir Anthony Hopkins, James Caan, etc.)

In the pacific theater, Bridge on the River Kwai with Sir Alec "Obiwan" Guinness as well as the Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence are great movies, although I don't know if the latter has been released on DVD.

JP