International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Help with RCE

Old 05-26-01, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this stupid RCE.
Now I have found out one or two sites that my DVD player is not compatiable with RCE but I was wanting to know a few things about RCE or I might need to get a new player.

1.Can someone tell me if that playing an non rce disc for a few seconds then ejecting it and putting in an rce disc will work?

2.On that FAQ of RCE it says that RCE will be implemented in October. Is it likely all the studios will do it? I heard rumours many studios were passing on it as most players can bypass RCE.

3.I was wanting to get the DVD of "One day in September". Can someone tell me if this has RCE?

I have a Philips DVD820 Player. I am not sure of selling it but if this RCE thing gets any bigger I might have to

Thanks and please help
Old 06-09-01, 02:24 PM

As for #1 - no: playing one disc and then switching to another will not help bypass RCE because the RCE encoded disc will still have to be read by your player prior to playing.
Right now it seems to be predominantly Columbia and Warner who are using RCE as a rule, but probably more and more studios will be using it in time.
The only way around RCE encoded discs is for your player to be able to select 'Region-1' only. If your player cannot do this (and I'm not familiar with your player's specs) then you might indeed want to look at getting yourself a multi-region (as opposed to 'code-free') player. Be sure you ask whomever you plan to purchase your next MR player from whether it allows you to specify a region from an on-screen menu.

vMy DVD list at DVD Tracker
Old 06-10-01, 04:27 AM

Are you sure your Philips player doens't play them ? I have a Philips 711 and it has no problems with RCE discs...
Old 06-10-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...or take a look at the Skyworth DVD player, which is supposed to do everything (except make coffee), and which is claimed to be RCE-proof:

http://www.hivizone.com/

. . .