Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I get "Shiri" all region?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Where can I get "Shiri" all region?

Old 04-16-01, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to find the all-region version of "Shiri" but I'm afriad that it might've gone OOP.
I'm really new to this international DVD stuff. I don't have an allregion player. Does anyone know of any online etailers that still carry this or whether strolling down to Chinatown (I live in Toronto where Chinatown is big) might help?
Thanks
Andy
Old 04-17-01, 01:16 AM

You're only hope would be to try and find it in a local import store in Chinatown. The first all region pressing was only a small pressing run and is now out of print with the region 3 only dts version being in print at the moment. I'd try ebay as well, before prices get too ridiculous.
Old 04-25-01, 04:53 AM

hey andy......know of any other good korean movies out on dvd?? is JSA out on DVD yet??by the way i saw chingoo....it was pretty good...
Old 04-25-01, 07:10 AM

HI Puzzle,
Actually, Shiri is the 1st Korean movie I've ever seen...or atleast the 1st that I can remember. I was hoping maybe you or someone else could recommend some titles that are good.
Old 04-25-01, 12:43 PM

Nowhere to Hide

If you want to see another pretty cool Korean film, check out Nowhere to Hide; it's a typical cops chasing the bad guy kind of plot, but the director has more visual style than most others out there. Imagine Guy Ritchie times 10. Various homages to HK films (the main character is named Woo, giving you an idea of the influences here), Eisenstein and more; if you can see it on a big screen, do so - it looks amazing. Unfortunately, I think the only widescreen version on DVD may be region 3, but I would have to double check. There is an American release, but it's pan and scan and has been cut. Why they would bother to even release it in that condition is beyond me, but it's their money.
Old 04-29-01, 10:34 PM

If you wanna know more about Korean movies, try at this site
http://www.koreanfilm.org/
There are lots of infomations about Korean movies and TV dramas.
Yes, this site is in English. And you can talk about Korean movies at forum in this site.

[Edited by oeezee on 04-29-01 at 08:37 PM]
Old 04-30-01, 10:24 AM

Shiri ...special edition

Actually Shiri is due out next week on a special edition 2-disc set....The first disc contains the movie(with English subs)while the 2nd disc contains LOTS of extras...including out-takes, making of etc....It will be released in Korea but will be region coded...it will also be in DTS..I will be picking up a copy ASAP....
Old 04-30-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe the new Korean SE will be anamorphic as well. I'm tempted to pick it up but I imagine that the extras are all in Korean only so I might as well just stick with the R3 copy I already have. Let us know if the new one is substantially better.
Old 04-30-01, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SHIRI SE sound too good to be true.I loved this movie, well this is the first Korean movie that I liked and understood without the English subtitles.Getting a dvd set but with English extra and DTS is trully worth a buy.
Old 04-30-01, 07:40 PM

Shiri Special Edition.

I actually live here in Korea and have received a little info about the SE...It will be anarmorphic,DTS, coded for region 3 and contain the extras...."what Shiri symbolizes",Diretors cut of the movie,Out takes,Interviews and a "Making of"...The menu screen for the extras is in English so I PRESUME that the extras will have English Subs too....The first disc runs approx 120 mins while the Extras disc runs a whopping 110 mins..
Old 05-09-01, 09:46 PM

Re: Shiri Special Edition.

Originally posted by Big Guy
I actually live here in Korea and have received a little info about the SE...It will be anarmorphic,DTS, coded for region 3 and contain the extras...."what Shiri symbolizes",Diretors cut of the movie,Out takes,Interviews and a "Making of"...The menu screen for the extras is in English so I PRESUME that the extras will have English Subs too....The first disc runs approx 120 mins while the Extras disc runs a whopping 110 mins..
Any further word on when this will actually be released? I'd love to buy it if I could only find it somewhere.
Old 05-10-01, 09:24 PM

You might try to buy it from the online shop,such as DVD Shelf.com.I got one copy of All region from HK's online shop. It has the letter box format, DTS sound, and the behind the scenes.
Old 05-10-01, 11:20 PM

Shiri DTS is region 3

DVDshelf's information is erroneous on their website. The DTS edition is region 3 coded, not all region.
Old 05-10-01, 11:27 PM

Hmmm...
looks like I might be out of luck then.
The all region is OOP and the new SE from Korea is region 3...
any other options?
Old 05-11-01, 12:26 PM

Re: Shiri Special Edition.

Originally posted by Big Guy
I just received an email from Poker Industries saying they'll have this 2-disc set in next week but that it is all region, yet still anamorphic. I don't believe an allregion DVD has ever been anamorphic... is this really possible?
Old 05-11-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
gotdvd?,

Be sure to report back if you make the jump and buy the new SE. I would really like to get it but I'm worried that the extras will be in Korean only with no English subs.
Old 05-11-01, 04:38 PM

GOTDVD,
Please let us know here whether the information that its ALL region is true or not.
Old 05-11-01, 05:34 PM

Well let's put it this way, if it's an all-region DVD I'm not buying it - I don't like bootleg quality. If I find out elsewhere that it is region 3 coded I will definitely buy it. The search for accurate information continues...
Old 05-11-01, 08:38 PM

There are a number of anamorphic all-region titles, including a few Korean ones, a host of American ones, lots of UK ones, and on and on. Region coding has little to do with whether a film is "bootleg quality" and it is a bit problematic to connect the two. Being a Korean release, it won't be a precedent to see it be an all region Anamorphic release (Ring Virus, one of a few, meets both criteria without being bootleg quality).
Old 05-11-01, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Furious
There are a number of anamorphic all-region titles, including a few Korean ones, a host of American ones, lots of UK ones, and on and on. Region coding has little to do with whether a film is "bootleg quality" and it is a bit problematic to connect the two. Being a Korean release, it won't be a precedent to see it be an all region Anamorphic release (Ring Virus, one of a few, meets both criteria without being bootleg quality).
Out of curiousity, what American DVDs are 16X9 enhanced yet regionfree? As you'll see from one of my earlier posts to this thread I was not aware of any "legit" regionfree anamorphic titles. If there are some that's great, I just didn't know they existed. If that's indeed the case I will definitely order the 2-disc from Poker Industries.
Old 05-12-01, 12:06 AM

Just ordered Shiri 2-DVD version

I just ordered the Shiri special edition 2-DVD set from pokerindustries, and I see that they also have it at dvdasian for about the same price (around $28) if anyone's looking for it.

I have the Shiri VCD if anyone wants to buy it from me, especially those of you for whom region coding is a concern (VCDs are region-free obviously).

I also have the region 3 DTS version of Shiri, still sealed, which I purchased just prior to finding out about the 2-DVD set, if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands as well.
Old 05-12-01, 03:10 AM

Shiri ...special edition

Yeh I recently bought the Shiri Special Edition...It contains 2 discs....On the first is the Anamorphic (All region) NTSC version of the movie with 44 chapter stops.It is subtitled in English and Japanese(Removable).
The second disc contains many extras...Out takes, Interviews, Music video,trailers(Korean and Japan), Making of, Behind the scenes, cast and director profiles and an information gallery on the guns used in the film.It comes in a beautifully designed fold out box with booklet.....
While the movie is a beautiful flawless print the only problem is that the second disc has NO subtitle options.Only Korean language.The second disc lasts for approx 120 mins (not checked this though.)
The DVD retails here for 27,000 won (1300 won = 1 US dollar)
I think that the rights to Shiri have been sold to North America recently so maybe you would be better waiting to see if a region 1 DVD is released if you don't want to sit through the extras in Korean.....An excellent DVD release that is one of the best in my collection
Old 05-12-01, 03:15 AM

One More Thing

The previous release of Shiri by the same company was indeed Region 3 only.The new one is the ALL REGION ,DTS, Widescreen Anamorphic, 2disc(single sided-Dual layered) version....Certainly not a BOOTLEG...Bitwin(the DVD company)is owned by Samsung electronics.....
Old 05-12-01, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all of the info Big Guy! Guess I need to decide if I want to pay extra for the 2-disc set with extras I won't understand.
Old 05-13-01, 04:29 PM

So the new Shiri SE IS All region then?!

Where can I pick this up then?