Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

should i wait until after xmas to buy a new computer?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 12-13-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

its going to be a gift but since i wont be able to give it to that person until after xmas, i figure maybe if i wait, there will be good deals right after. anyone know (based on past history) if there might be some really good computer deals after christmas?
Old 12-13-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: should i wait until after xmas to buy a new computer?

It might help if you were a little more specific - laptop or desktop, dual core or quadcore or i7, minimum RAM & HD size requirements. There were all sorts of BF deals but they tend to be fairly lightweight machines. I'm kind of looking too but don't need it anytime soon. Besides the forums at fatwallet, I check bensbargains.net regularly which is where I found a good laptop deal last year that suited my specs.
Old 12-14-09, 09:27 AM
Cool New Member

It depends on how long you want to wait after Christmas. Retailers now plan for the post holiday spending in their forecasts and include the first few weeks after Christmas as part of their holiday forecasts. So don't expect great clearance deals right after Christmas. However, if you are looking for the latest and greatest of the next systems, then a post holiday purchase might be worth the wait. My recommendation is to find the right system for the needs at the price you want to spend and go for it. If you have a great system you want to get and you are waiting, you may end up with an "out of stock" response after the holidays.
Old 12-14-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy View Post
It might help if you were a little more specific - laptop or desktop, dual core or quadcore or i7, minimum RAM & HD size requirements. There were all sorts of BF deals but they tend to be fairly lightweight machines. I'm kind of looking too but don't need it anytime soon. Besides the forums at fatwallet, I check bensbargains.net regularly which is where I found a good laptop deal last year that suited my specs.
it will be a desktop - nothing too fancy. just a new computer for my dad who isnt very computer savy. his current computer is old and slow. i thought hed appreciate a new one.

thanks for the tip on bensbargains.net - ill check it out.
Old 12-14-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SDSU92 View Post
It depends on how long you want to wait after Christmas. Retailers now plan for the post holiday spending in their forecasts and include the first few weeks after Christmas as part of their holiday forecasts. So don't expect great clearance deals right after Christmas. However, if you are looking for the latest and greatest of the next systems, then a post holiday purchase might be worth the wait. My recommendation is to find the right system for the needs at the price you want to spend and go for it. If you have a great system you want to get and you are waiting, you may end up with an "out of stock" response after the holidays.
thanks.
Old 12-14-09, 12:51 PM

I would build it yourself and save a boatload.
Old 12-14-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrsnickers View Post
I would build it yourself and save a boatload.
if i knew how, i would. plus its a gift.
Old 12-15-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just get a Gateway SX2800-03. Gateway's customer support sux, but you can't beat this system for its cheap price.
Old 12-15-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ericwr114 View Post
hehe, what's your budget? desktop, or laptop?
Desktop. Maybe $500ish. It's for my dad who knows nothing about computers but his current one is sooooo slow so I thought this would be a nice gift.

Also dumb question but will his current monitor work with whatever pc I get him? He has a nice big monitor right now.
Old 12-16-09, 11:26 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep an eye on the desktop deals at dealnews.com. There's nothing hot right now, but they seem to update frequently.
Old 02-15-10, 03:45 PM

Save your money