Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

I just looked at E-Music. Unless I missed something, they're MP3 only. I WILL NEVER buy an MP3, lossless only for me.
Old 05-29-09, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I just looked at E-Music. Unless I missed something, they're MP3 only. I WILL NEVER buy an MP3, lossless only for me.
I kind of agree with that. But a few items aren't available on CD. Some are exclusive MP3-only. If you want the music, you've got no choice. Also, amazon.com sometimes sells albums for $0.99. If it's something I'm not serious about, I'll buy it on a lark sometimes. I just picked up a Grateful Dead album for $0.99, and surprisingly I kind of liked it. I'd never buy the CD, but it was worth a buck to have.

The thing is, MP3s are sonically compromised, and they don't offer value, unless they're very, very cheap.

I bought the latest Coldplay EP from amazon for a buck, too. I burned it for my friend, and then bought the CD from bmgmusic for myself.

Speaking of which, I really need a code for free shipping with box sets. If I can't get one, then I've placed my last order with bmgmusic, sad to say.
Old 05-30-09, 07:46 AM

Anyone else getting the "An internal system error has occurred. " message when trying to log in?
Old 05-30-09, 01:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by skidmark
Anyone else getting the "An internal system error has occurred. " message when trying to log in?
Nope, just worked for me. I'd try again.
Old 05-30-09, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by okay
Nope, just worked for me. I'd try again.
Yup - working now.
Old 05-30-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got "internal system error" last night, back up today. They must be doing "maintenance" at night

Also getting concerned that they shipped 3 boxes together & only 2 arrived (I had a box not arrive in April also). At this point, not sure if the issue is BMG or a new employee at the local post office who likes cd's. I know media mail can be weird, but I also know that in years of doing business with BMG I never had a delivery problem until last month.
Old 05-30-09, 09:30 PM

I got "internal system error" last night, back up today. They must be doing "maintenance" at night
In the past all the BMG website maintenance and updating was always done overnight. But now that the end of BMG is near who knows what the heck is going on?
Old 05-31-09, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

Perhaps once they pass the 31-May-09 "old deadline" they will consider some codes for the final 3 weeks...

Optimistic in FL with one more load of CDs in my Cart...
Old 06-01-09, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by MIT90
Perhaps once they pass the 31-May-09 "old deadline" they will consider some codes for the final 3 weeks...

Optimistic in FL with one more load of CDs in my Cart...
I guess a 90% off would definitely help you.
Old 06-01-09, 08:38 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but eMusic MP3s are cheap enough ($.20/song on my plan) that I feel its worth it. I prefer to buy CDs, but my desire for new music currently outstrips my budget (and my wife's patience). One thing I like about eMusic is I can download an album I'm curious about, and if I like it enough, then go looking for the CD; but if it turns out not to be good, then I haven't lost much.
Old 06-01-09, 10:04 AM

(More eMusic - sorry if this is off-topic)

eMusic announced today that they're adding a big chunk of Sony's back catalog, so I guess they're not so indie-only anymore. But for those of you who were disappointed by the lack of classic rock, etc., you might want to take a second look.
Old 06-01-09, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MusicLover7
I guess a 90% off would definitely help you.
They did make a MINOR change: instead of the standing B1G4 (basically 80% off every time you buy 5), they now have a standing "unlimited 80% off" offer. The only difference is you can get 80% off on just one title vs. 5 at a time.

Where this gets interesting (my opinion) is for the 2-CD sets at $20 -- it drops the per CD price to $4.69 ... it's still $1 more than 90% off, but it may be the best offer they give.

There are no expiry dates -- or I can find them -- so they might just go away like the last set of generous codes. I'm going to wait a little while...
Old 06-01-09, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

(I can't find them) (typo)
Old 06-01-09, 04:22 PM

This is an interesting development. For about a year I've had the buy-one-get-four-free offer as my default deal. I never thought they would change it. But now I see the "Unlimited 80% off!" offer as my default deal. Watching with curiosity.

- - - - -

To get the $6.99 CDs, plus Free Shipping offer, enter the promotion code "Y9X26" in the box on the left side of our website's homepage and click "apply." But hurry! Promo code is only good until 6/7/09!

Last edited by Manos; 06-01-09 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added new code
Old 06-01-09, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Manos
This is an interesting development. For about a year I've had the buy-one-get-four-free offer as my default deal. I never thought they would change it. But now I see the "Unlimited 80% off!" offer as my default deal. Watching with curiosity

The 80% off default is nice, maybe the 90% off default is coming soon.
Old 06-01-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

both of my accounts are also showing the 80% off as default. All of my last batch of cd's that I was actually billed for have now arrived other then 2 clearance titles that were shipped a couple days later then the others.
Old 06-02-09, 04:15 PM

Long time member here. Just discovered this forum a few months ago. Here's my first post:

A bit of history that may or may not turn out to be relevant:

I've been in the club since 1984. That's not a typo. 1984.

When I joined the club, I got LP's in the mail, then cassettes, then (and apparently finally) CD's.

Around 1990 they phased out LP's. One day I got an offer in the mail that stated that I could have ten selections for free if I would just pay shipping. If I also purchased one selection at regular price, then I could have ten more selections just for the cost of shipping.

Intrigued, I called Customer Service and asked how many selections a multi-disc set should count as. "One" was the reply.

Waaaaaaaaahoooooooooooo. Box set city here I come.

My resulting twenty-one selections came to 77 LP's. The total cost came to about $100. Top notch labels, orchestras, and conductors. I was a happy boy.

That's my story. Will history repeat itself? Doubtful, but I can hope.
Old 06-02-09, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Long time member here. Just discovered this forum a few months ago. Here's my first post:

A bit of history that may or may not turn out to be relevant:

I've been in the club since 1984. That's not a typo. 1984.

When I joined the club, I got LP's in the mail, then cassettes, then (and apparently finally) CD's.

Around 1990 they phased out LP's. One day I got an offer in the mail that stated that I could have ten selections for free if I would just pay shipping. If I also purchased one selection at regular price, then I could have ten more selections just for the cost of shipping.

Intrigued, I called Customer Service and asked how many selections a multi-disc set should count as. "One" was the reply.

Waaaaaaaaahoooooooooooo. Box set city here I come.

My resulting twenty-one selections came to 77 LP's. The total cost came to about $100. Top notch labels, orchestras, and conductors. I was a happy boy.

That's my story. Will history repeat itself? Doubtful, but I can hope.
Nice. Ditto on hoping that history repeats
Old 06-02-09, 05:51 PM

Thanks for your story, YellowJacket. There will be plenty of boxed sets with the "BMG Direct" imprint in the bar code box that will need to be liquidated.
Old 06-02-09, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

I suspect they'll just convert excess inventory to yourmusic.com inventory.
Old 06-02-09, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jimsumner
I suspect they'll just convert excess inventory to yourmusic.com inventory.
I agree, especially since they both share the same warehouse.
Old 06-03-09, 10:04 AM

Just out of curiosity, are any of you guys part of BMG's "2 Free For Life" program?
Old 06-03-09, 10:39 AM

Just out of curiosity, are any of you guys part of BMG's "2 Free For Life" program?
Yes, I am (or I should say "was"). I just received my final two selections a week ago. I'm going to miss that program.

I don't remember exactly when it was that they were running that promotion, but I think it was the late 80s. I debated whether it was worth it at the time because you used to have to deal with mailing in your replies every few weeks...all that postage and headache.

I think I got my money's worth from that promotion.
Old 06-03-09, 12:01 PM

It's always been a pain. If after the Internet part of the club cranked up, they still sent me the once a year notification via a postcard. I'd have to then write out the item number and title of each of the two on the back of the post card and then put in a business envelope, folding it in half to make it fit.

As a result, that card would sometimes lay on my desk for months before I'd finally do the research and fill it out. I didn't find out until last year that I could have emailed it in to customer service.

My last order is being processed now.

Duckfan, when did you become a member of the club?
Old 06-03-09, 02:46 PM

I've never heard of it---I joined in 1993.

What did one have to do to join this program?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.