Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 6)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Direct Brands purchased BMG, Columbia House & Others from them.
Najafi Companies/Direct Brands purchased BMG in July 2008.
Old 05-27-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Website still shows "processing", but from shipped emails received today & the amount I was billed it appears that The Who Join Together box is TOOS.
Old 05-27-09, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeevan
Just out of curiosity... Some of the CDs sold by bmgmusic do not include lyrics in the booklet... Do the regular CDs have the same problem?
BMG produces the exact same CD you'd find elsewhere. I'd guess that the album in question never comes with lyrics.
Old 05-27-09, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceknight
BMG produces the exact same CD you'd find elsewhere. I'd guess that the album in question never comes with lyrics.
I disagree. Some classical CD's come with booklets with the text in three languages. BMG-produced CD's of the same title often omit the non-English text.

The order status function is not working properly. My last order shows processing, even though the items arrived today. A jazz title that showed up over the weekend at Yourmusic just got posted at BMG today. No one's minding the store at the mothership. I wouldn't be surprised if we discover another code goof in the remaining days.
Old 05-27-09, 09:43 PM
Cool New Member

Are ALL the codes gone? That really bites. I managed to use one of the two 90% off codes, but went to sleep on the second!!!! (I knew it was a single-use so I was loading up my cart -- planning to blast a huge order all at once!) With the standing "deal" they have assigned to my account, the price is about $1.40 more per CD w/o the 90% off.

Any chance they'll bring back either 70% off plus free shipping OR 90% off plus shipping? (The two are very close in price actually)
Old 05-27-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manos
I disagree. Some classical CD's come with booklets with the text in three languages. BMG-produced CD's of the same title often omit the non-English text.

The order status function is not working properly. My last order shows processing, even though the items arrived today. A jazz title that showed up over the weekend at Yourmusic just got posted at BMG today. No one's minding the store at the mothership. I wouldn't be surprised if we discover another code goof in the remaining days.
I had a similar experience today. My recent order still shows processing. Today I received both the shipped emails, & also 2/3's of my order arrived on the same day as the shipped emails.........

Customer service also still has not replied to my ? about the glitches on their website.
Old 05-27-09, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

I had a similar experience today. My recent order still shows processing. Today I received both the shipped emails, & also 2/3's of my order arrived on the same day as the shipped emails.........

Customer service also still has not replied to my ? about the glitches on their website.
I was surprised to see a bunch of boxes from USPS on Tuesday and then the "Your Order has Shipped" e-mail showed up TODAY (Wednesday) -- that's a first for me. I guess they are placing a priority on getting us our CDs and not on status e-mails. Good choice!
Old 05-28-09, 06:45 AM

Is the BMG website down? I can't reach it from here.
Old 05-28-09, 08:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by eglenn
Is the BMG website down? I can't reach it from here.
I just tried (9:08am) and it works.
Old 05-28-09, 08:14 AM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have experience with e-Music? I responded to a promotion, checked them out, and I was disappointed to NOT find the titles I was looking for PLUS some of what I did find sounding different than the original studio recording I know so well. (Had they worked out, their pricing was $0.10 / track -- pretty cheap -- might also explain why the "sound" wasn't top quality.)
Old 05-28-09, 09:42 AM
Cool New Member

emusic is a subscription download service for independent labels. There's a lot of good stuff there but nothing from the majors. So, you'll not find Springsteen, U2, Dylan, et. al.

As for BMG. Like others, I used one of the 90% off codes and was holding onto the other for one last bulk order. Snooze-lose, I suppose.

The current b1, g4f, code would save about $2.00 from yourmusic prices for five CDs. But I spent some time last night and found that almost everything still in my BMG cart could be obtained cheaper via amazon.com third-party sellers.

So, unless some more codes pop up, this might be it for me. Oh, well. Got a lot of good music for good prices.

Last edited by jimsumner; 05-28-09 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same for me. An interesting side note, the new Morrissey CD is the same as you would find in a store. It didn't have the Mftd. for BMG label and it did have the security sticker on the top of the case.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 05-28-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jimsumner
The current b1, g4f, code would save about $2.00 from yourmusic prices for five CDs. But I spent some time last night and found that almost everything still in my BMG cart could be obtained cheaper via amazon.com third-party sellers.
I wish that were the case for me. With the buy 1 get 4 free, the discs average out to be $6.58 delivered. The same discs through Amazon marketplace sellers may be offered at a lower price but once the postage is added in, they're all significantly higher than the B1G4 free deal.
Old 05-28-09, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

Mike,

You probably have more refined tastes than me.
Old 05-28-09, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceknight
Just to point out the only other difference between a 'made for BMG' cd and a retail one (besides the barcode, imprint on CD, and lyrics being in only one language) is that retail cd's that would come in a digipak are come in a regular jewel case with a regular cd booklet. Off the top of my head, I remember a Dee-Lite cd being this way.
Old 05-28-09, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Same for me. An interesting side note, the new Morrissey CD is the same as you would find in a store. It didn't have the Mftd. for BMG label and it did have the security sticker on the top of the case.

The Bird and the Bee by The Bird and the Bee had the same situation like you said but not Ray Guns Are Not Just The Future.
Old 05-28-09, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jimsumner
Mike,

You probably have more refined tastes than me.

Unless you're a jazz fan, that would go without saying.
Old 05-28-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Order history on the site on both my accounts is now back to normal. Perhaps that's why some folks had trouble accessing the site this morning? As an fyi, over half of the 15 cd's I received yesterday had no BMG club markings.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 05-28-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by MIT90
Does anyone have experience with e-Music?
A warning about eMusic. They *will* sell your email to spammers.

I signed up about 6 months ago and quit after a relatively short time (less than a month). Since then the unique email I used for my account, which was never used anywhere else, has gotten ever increasing amounts of spam.
Old 05-28-09, 08:21 PM

To get the $3.99 CDs offer, enter the promotion code "Y9X23" in the box on the left side of our website's homepage and click "apply." But hurry! Promo code is only good until 6/2/09!
Old 05-28-09, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

As an fyi, over half of the 15 cd's I received yesterday had no BMG club markings.
Sucks to be me, I suppose: I received eight of eleven titles yesterday and only one (Horace Silver's "Song for My Father") had the normal barcode. I've noticed, though, every Blue Note title I've gotten from them had the normal barcode.

Online, my order status has not changed in over a week despite this shipment. All eleven titles ordered still show "paid by credit card" as the status. The paper shipping receipt included in the package I got shows the remaining three on backorder, though (James Brown "Live at the Apollo," Blue Mountain's "Dog Days," and Derek & the Dominos' "Layla, for those keeping track of OOS titles).
Old 05-29-09, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by elborak
A warning about eMusic. They *will* sell your email to spammers.

I signed up about 6 months ago and quit after a relatively short time (less than a month). Since then the unique email I used for my account, which was never used anywhere else, has gotten ever increasing amounts of spam.
I've been a member for 5 years and never received one spam email to my Emusic address.
Old 05-29-09, 08:32 AM

in addition to the one MusicLover posted above...

3.99 CDs - No Other Purchase Necessary
Y9X23, 24

$6.99 CDs, plus Free Shipping
Y9X25, 26
Old 05-29-09, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
I've been a member for 5 years and never received one spam email to my Emusic address.
Maybe they only sell your address once you quit...
Old 05-29-09, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MIT90
Does anyone have experience with e-Music? I responded to a promotion, checked them out, and I was disappointed to NOT find the titles I was looking for PLUS some of what I did find sounding different than the original studio recording I know so well.
I love eMusic (I've been a member for about 4 years), but they make no claim to being an encyclopedic music site. I think they only carry music by independent labels, but for me that meant that I could go there for all the stuff I couldn't get through BMG. Now BMG is gonna go and wreck that arrangement...

You do have to tread carefully, because they do traffic in weird covers and alternate versions of famous songs. But they're great for Indie Rock, Jazz, Blues, Folk, and Experimental music, and every once in a while they surprise me with other cool stuff. (They had all the Stones ABKCO records up for about 3 months a while ago, which was awesome)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.