Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Buying car tires online?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Buying car tires online?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying car tires online?

I need to buy new tires for my 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS and they are 225/55/18's. They are pretty expensive locally so I was wondering if anyone knew of a credible place to buy them online? Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-31-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Buying car tires online?

tirerack.com

I have ordered tires and rims from them several times and recommend them if their prices are good for you.
Old 03-31-09, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
tirerack.com

I have ordered tires and rims from them several times and recommend them if their prices are good for you.
Thanks for the info,would you happen to know if they price match other on line sites?
I found onlinetires.com and they have better prices but I don't how credible they are?
Has anyone ever used onlinetires.com and are they credible?
Old 03-31-09, 12:35 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
tirerack.com

+1 for tirerack. I didn't see any local installers on onlinetires.com and that was a big part of what made tirerack easy for me. A large choice online and then just drop the car off locally for installation.
Old 03-31-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Thanks for the info,would you happen to know if they price match other on line sites?
I found onlinetires.com and they have better prices but I don't how credible they are?
Has anyone ever used onlinetires.com and are they credible?
I really don't know to be honest.
Old 03-31-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My local shop has told me that they would install tires from tire rack for me. Of course they would charge me for the mounting and balancing, which maybe they wouldnt if I bought the tires from them. But, when I was looking at tires, the shipping negated any savings I was getting by getting the tires cheaper. Of course, my guy may be cutting me a break on the price on buying the tires locally.
Old 03-31-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get your best online prices (print them out), add shipping, then head for your local tire dealers. I've done this many times and they've always matched or beat the price. Plus, if anything goes wrong, they're easier to find than tirerack.
Old 03-31-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
Get your best online prices (print them out), add shipping, then head for your local tire dealers. I've done this many times and they've always matched or beat the price. Plus, if anything goes wrong, they're easier to find than tirerack.
I second this... especially if you have a Discount Tire local to you. I had them match tirerack.com (they weren't that much different in any case, but every little bit helps).
Old 03-31-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought tires from:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
Free shipping too.
Old 04-01-09, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sniper308
I second this... especially if you have a Discount Tire local to you. I had them match tirerack.com (they weren't that much different in any case, but every little bit helps).
I do have Discount tire here locally but the problem is I was looking at buying the MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 and they don't come up on their site. I'm not sure if the actual store can order them and if so would they even price match?
Tirerack has them for $179 and the onlinetires has them for $149.Locally the best price is Costco for $190. That is a big price difference. That is the reason I was curious how credible onlinetires is? If I could get them locally for that price,that is a no brainer. If not maybe getting tirerack to price match would be the second best thing?
Old 04-01-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do have Discount tire here locally but the problem is I was looking at buying the MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 and they don't come up on their site. I'm not sure if the actual store can order them and if so would they even price match?
Walk into the store and ask if they can obtain the tires you seek and will pricematch. Much better dialog than using their online site.
Old 04-01-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

EdgeRacing was a good place, but they went under.

Here's another:

http://www.vulcantire.com/
Old 04-07-09, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by kayak99
Walk into the store and ask if they can obtain the tires you seek and will pricematch. Much better dialog than using their online site.
Well Discount Tire would not price-match onlinetires deal. The best deal locally for the Michelin MXV4 tires is $181/ea. That is a big price difference compared to $149/ea and shipping is only like $55(for all four). That comes out to like $646 shipping.
Has anyone dealt with onlinetires.com? Are they a credible company? Tirerack would not price-match either .
Anyone have the MXV4 and what do you think of them?
Old 04-07-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

any reason you're not getting the Yokohama AVID TRZ? They're only $111 each on tirerack. so long as they meet the load and speed requirements of your car, then it should be fine.
Old 04-08-09, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
any reason you're not getting the Yokohama AVID TRZ? They're only $111 each on tirerack. so long as they meet the load and speed requirements of your car, then it should be fine.
I think folks tend to overlook the importance of tires, regardless of driving situation. This really matters in areas such as braking distance and steering response, particularly in emergency situations. I don't know what the OEM tires are on the Outlander, but if they happen to be MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 and the driver has had a positive experience with them, I can see why s/he would stick with those. I checked the customer feedback on Tire Rack where those tires are concerned, and it appears to be the best rated at that size; with that said, I would probably give the Yokohamas a second look: they're inexpensive, and a fairly solid performer in both wet and snow conditions. I would get the AVID TRZs at Dicount Tire (over Tire Rack) because they offer free lifetime rotations (I think they still do; with my Michelins, they did) and it's only $5 more per tire locally.
Old 04-08-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have the MXV4 and what do you think of them?
My wife has them on her Honda Accord. They are very good all season tires. We get them at Costco.
Old 04-09-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PrivatePixel
I think folks tend to overlook the importance of tires, regardless of driving situation. This really matters in areas such as braking distance and steering response, particularly in emergency situations. I don't know what the OEM tires are on the Outlander, but if they happen to be MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 and the driver has had a positive experience with them, I can see why s/he would stick with those. I checked the customer feedback on Tire Rack where those tires are concerned, and it appears to be the best rated at that size; with that said, I would probably give the Yokohamas a second look: they're inexpensive, and a fairly solid performer in both wet and snow conditions. I would get the AVID TRZs at Dicount Tire (over Tire Rack) because they offer free lifetime rotations (I think they still do; with my Michelins, they did) and it's only $5 more per tire locally.
i understand why people want to stick with what they know, and that's fine. remember, that's what the tire manuf. are hoping for. they sell the tires at huge discounts, or sometimes even give them away to car manuf. so they'd use them on their car. both the michelin and yoko are solid performers overall, and specifically speaking, they do a similar job. and the price savings is quite substantial in this case. i'm sure if someone's main concern was performance (braking, handling), then they wouldn't be looking at AS tires.

btw, using the specified tire is not always the best choice...i remember ford had to recall some firestone tires because they had so many blowouts or something like that.
Old 04-10-09, 12:28 PM

i understand why people want to stick with what they know, and that's fine. remember, that's what the tire manuf. are hoping for. they sell the tires at huge discounts, or sometimes even give them away to car manuf. so they'd use them on their car. both the michelin and yoko are solid performers overall, and specifically speaking, they do a similar job. and the price savings is quite substantial in this case. i'm sure if someone's main concern was performance (braking, handling), then they wouldn't be looking at AS tires.
A/S (all-season) tires can be a very good compromise for those who do encounter seasonal changes without having to deal with the expenditures associated with two sets of dedicated tires (summer & winter). In my case, although I have encountered at least 1-2 snowstorms per winter, the quantity of snowfall received throughout the season did not warrant dedicated snow tires (if I lived a bit further north, they would be a must).

My experience with OEM tires was less than favourable, so I had no reservations switching brands (I'm currently on my third manufacturer and it has yielded the best results thus far). Unless the retailer offers an exchange program if you're dissatisfied within the first 30 days of ownership, there really is no way for customers to evaluate tires properly, other than soliciting feedback from others, but even this is largely anecdotal.
Old 04-10-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i remember ford had to recall some firestone tires because they had so many blowouts or something like that.
IIRC the real reason was that the manufacturer of the tire wanted the correct pressure and the manufacturer of the vehicle wanted a pressure that would make their truck ride nice. That was the reason why they had tires failing.

Much has been written and broadcast in the past month about the lethal combination of Ford Explorers and Firestone tires. This is a design defect exacerbated by the fact that Ford required a low inflation pressure of 26 psi to mitigate rollover problems with these vehicles. Firestone ATX, ATX II and Wilderness tires on Ford Explorers are overheating with highway use, causing the tread to separate and the SUVs to experience catastrophic crashes, not infrequently rolling over and causing fatal injuries. At least 135 people world-wide have died.
http://www.citizen.org/autosafety/su...es.cfm?ID=5414
Old 04-10-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
IIRC the real reason was that the manufacturer of the tire wanted the correct pressure and the manufacturer of the vehicle wanted a pressure that would make their truck ride nice. That was the reason why they had tires failing.
I believe you are correct. I borrowed my brothers 1997 Ford Explorer, last week, while my car was in the shop. The tires looked WAY low to me, so I check the pressure against what was posted on the door frame, and they had proper pressure. I couldn't believe it.
Old 04-10-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.citizen.org/autosafety/su...es.cfm?ID=5414
my point was that following the manuf. recommendation is not always the best. i would, of course, follow them as a minimum of course, but at times you can and should exceed it or alter it as necessary. of course, be careful when altering it as it may impact warranty...

and don't think this is limited to Ford only, even the highly reliability rated Toyota had a sludge problem a few years ago, even when people followed the prescribed OCI. this problem could have been fixed, or at least somewhat mitigated, had they recommended shorter OCI. And of course, the other top reliability rated Honda has tons of tranny problems.

i'm digressing, but the main point i wanted to get across is that following the manuf. recommendation is not always the best course of action.
Old 04-11-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Discount Tire would pricematch Tirerack - they even pulled up the price on their register / computer terminal. But they add tire rack's shipping.

In the end, I had them call Mazda since Mazda's price was about $10 less - they did it and pricematched the price no problem.

Call Discount Tire corporate and see if it's their policy to match tirerack.
Old 04-24-09, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PrivatePixel
Well I brought the car brand new and it came with Goodyear LS2 on them. I liked them but the only reason I want to try a different brand(Michelin) is because when I drove up in the snow any incline I stopped on I would spin out and here in town if I accelerate to fast my tires spin just a bit. I will say this that at the time the tires have about 33,000 miles on them. The Goodyear tires are rated to 35-40K miles.
At this point I'm thinking it's because of the tires.
If I can't find a good price for them locally I might take a look at the Yoko's or get Goodyear LS2's again.
I found the Michelin's for $149/ea on tiresonline but I have idea how good they are so I'm a little leary of going with them.

I will throw this out.......The Outlander is a great car and so glad I test drove this on a fluke. I was going to go with either a Toyota or Honda small-SUV.
My wife has them on her Honda Accord. They are very good all season tires. We get them at Costco.
The Costco here does not carry my size . I tried to see if Discount Tire would price-match but they wouldn't
Old 05-07-09, 01:33 AM

Well I finally decided between two: the MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 or the Goodyear Comfort Tread(was told it was better than the Goodyear LS2's,which is what I have now). Discount decided to price match(supposedly) the MICHELIN Primacy MXV4 price I found on Onlinetires.com. After all was said and done they offered $791 out the door. The closest I could find anywhere was Costco for $828. I could get the the Comfort Tread for about $100 less. I decided to go with the MICHELIN Primacy MXV4. The reviews on the Comfort Tread's were not that great(at tirerack.com) and I figured I was getting a really good tire for a good price. I will have them put on tomorrow(Thursday) we will see how they work out.
On a side note I was considering the Yoko's but I figured they were only about $110 less. We will see what happens.
Old 05-07-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hey, as long as you're happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.