Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

SMOKING HOT! Garmin c320 for $200 shipped

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

SMOKING HOT! Garmin c320 for $200 shipped

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by illini420
I'm new to GPS so maybe I'm just not understanding correctly. But, why are you all loading POI's?? I used the Garmin ver. 8 software that came with this, loaded it to the SD card and it has all the local businesses already in there. Met some friends at a restaurant I've never been to last night and all I did was type in the name and the GPS showed me the way. I guess I'm just not getting something...
Because certain things aren't in there...like traffic cameras, school zones (with speed warnings), etc.

Sure, the internal one is good, but there are still some things missing.

= J
Old 03-25-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the c320 supports a memory card of 4GB? woot.com has it on sale for 24.99 + 5.00 shipping. It'll be gone by the time anyone reads this but just in case it comes up again, I'd like to know if I should buy it or if the device won't even support it.

thanks!

also, how do you use the POI files? I have MapInstall on my computer and downloaded some POIs. Any idea how to go about that?
Old 03-25-07, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Because certain things aren't in there...like traffic cameras, school zones (with speed warnings), etc.

Sure, the internal one is good, but there are still some things missing.

= J

Ok, that's cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by runner001
Does anyone know if the c320 supports a memory card of 4GB? woot.com has it on sale for 24.99 + 5.00 shipping. It'll be gone by the time anyone reads this but just in case it comes up again, I'd like to know if I should buy it or if the device won't even support it.
I don't know for certain, but I do know that my 2GB card is plenty big and additional POI files are miniscule. Unless someone else knows why, I can't fathom that anything larger than a 2GB card would ever be needed.
Old 03-25-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I don't know for certain, but I do know that my 2GB card is plenty big and additional POI files are miniscule. Unless someone else knows why, I can't fathom that anything larger than a 2GB card would ever be needed.
I'm using mine as an MP3 player in the vehicle so have an 8gb SDHC card in it (need an SDHC reader for computer to load files...not just SD)... but again mine is the NUVI 370 don't know if the other models would accept that big of a card.
Old 03-25-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm actually using MapSource. I installed POI installer, it doesn't do anything (literally) just like MapInstall didn't do anything when I open it. So I opened MapSource and tried to use it to view/download the POI files. I have NO CLUE what to do.
Old 04-16-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
They "found a few more" in stock.
Questions:
* Is the card that comes with it, big enough for a couple of states, say, NC, SC, and GA?
* Is it true that the plug doesn't disconnect from the device, so even if you make it 'portable' you've got the charging cable hanging from it?
* Does it let you find a location by lat/longitude (entering L/L instead of address or name, for instance)
* Is this still an issue: "One annoying aspect is that when I stop, the SteetPilot is powered down, but then when restarted, the destination is cleared, and must be reprogrammed in, and a route recalculated." http://www.technudgelive.com/reviews/?p=89

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-16-07 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:32 AM

i was able to fit NC, GA, VA, and MD on the card. Didn't try SC.
the charger plugs into its base so no, the cable won't be hanging from the unit
i don't think it does. never tried tho.
Old 04-16-07, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
They "found a few more" in stock.
Questions:
* Is the card that comes with it, big enough for a couple of states, say, NC, SC, and GA?
* Is it true that the plug doesn't disconnect from the device, so even if you make it 'portable' you've got the charging cable hanging from it?
* Does it let you find a location by lat/longitude (entering L/L instead of address or name, for instance)
* Is this still an issue: "One annoying aspect is that when I stop, the SteetPilot is powered down, but then when restarted, the destination is cleared, and must be reprogrammed in, and a route recalculated." http://www.technudgelive.com/reviews/?p=89
I just received my C320 from Frys a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately, living in Manhattan, I don't drive that much so I haven't used it in real-world yet. But I already love the thing, and can't wait to add it to my car next weekend for a drive.

I am no expert, but I'll do my best to answer a couple of your questions. First of all, at $199, this thing is a steal. I was able to get the C320, the dash mount from Amazon (don't want to attach this to my windshield), and an anti-glare screen protector from boxwave for about $245 total. Considering what the C320 cost alone just a year or two ago, that is pretty great.

This comes with a relatively small SD card, but I am sure it holds at least a couple of states. But at best, like me, you may have an extra 1gb or 2gb card laying around, in which case you can use the bigger card with no extra cost. Or you can buy a new 1gb or 2gb card these days for like $10 or less all the time with rebates at places like buy.com, newegg, etc. The SD card should not be a concern.

The plug does disconnect from the device. You can charge it up, and use it without plugging it in. I believe the battery is rated around 8 hours or so before re-charging.

I don't believe you can enter lat/long instead of an address, and I am not sure why you'd need to??

Not sure about the last question yet as I haven't used it in practice yet. I've just run some test routes at home with the satellite off.

One other thing, if you wait too long for answers, you'll probably lose out on the units, as I am sure the re-stocking will make its way around pretty quickly. I'd jump on it--this thing is a very good GPS unit at a great price.
Old 04-16-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I don't believe you can enter lat/long instead of an address, and I am not sure why you'd need to??
My wife has expressed an interest in geocaching, and while this model is definitely not 'meant' for that, if it supported l/l, it could be used for that, or get that data in there somehow (loc files?). Although I definitely think the street/POI navigation would be much more useful/used.
One other thing, if you wait too long for answers, you'll probably lose out on the units, as I am sure the re-stocking will make its way around pretty quickly. I'd jump on it--this thing is a very good GPS unit at a great price.
that's what I'm thinking. I could have used it two weeks ago when on a trip, but I'm sure we'll go somewhere else soon : )
I think I've got a spare SD card somewhere, and if not, my boy's digital camera has a 2GB, I think, so I could swap (128 MB would be enough for him), and odds are, if it holds just the neighbouring states, that's enough for 96% of our traveling.

thanks for the responses, both you and nodoubt.
Old 04-16-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To answer the last question regarding whether or not it shuts off when the car is stopped, it doesn't. if the car charger disconnects, the unit will count down and give you 30 seconds to choose to continue on battery power or shut off.

it works great and I'm glad i spent the $199.
Old 04-16-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You cannot enter locations by lat/long through the touchscreen interface, but you CAN enter the data in a POI file and upload it using Garmin's freeware. For geocaching, it would be an ideal solution, assuming you have the lat/long data BEFORE you head out to find the cache.

And to answer a different question - when the unit is powered down, it DOES remember your last position and where you were going. When you restore power, it reacquires the satellites to update your position, and recomputes the route to your destination. If you have a via point set, I *believe* it factors that into your routing, though I'll have to check to be certain. The only times I've powered down my unit while enroute to a location I was not heading toward a via point.

BTW - I just clicked on the original link and they STILL have some in stock at the $199 price.

http://www.frys.com/product/4579507
Limit 5 per customer - While supplies last
Old 04-16-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

This comes with a relatively small SD card, but I am sure it holds at least a couple of states. But at best, like me, you may have an extra 1gb or 2gb card laying around, in which case you can use the bigger card with no extra cost. Or you can buy a new 1gb or 2gb card these days for like $10 or less all the time with rebates at places like buy.com, newegg, etc. The SD card should not be a concern.
i was able to load all of the us and canada onto a 2gb card on my garmin 2610.
Old 04-17-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about loading maps...how many maps will fit, etc...that's the reason why the Nuvi is worth the extra duckets

USA, Puerto Rico, and Canada...all preloaded.

= J
Old 04-17-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this the Nuvi that's 250% the cost of the 320? I think I'll spring for a ten buck SD card for additional space. Plus, I have never been to Puerto Rico or Canada, and don't see it happening in the foreseeable future, so having maps preloaded that I'll never use is not really a feature. It seems like the lowest tier Nuvi costs 300$+ more for features I'll never use. Though the maps are all preloaded, that's an awful lot of pay for the convenience of saving eight minutes loading time.
Old 04-17-07, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i was able to load all of the us and canada onto a 2gb card on my garmin 2610.
Frankly, with the V.8 maps, you can load all of US and Canada on a 1gb card. No need to use the 2gb, but obviously if that's what you have, no harm in using it.

As to the map loading issue, it was a very minor (and quick) inconvenience considering the savings.

And since this is still in stock, seems they found more than just a "few". Maybe a few hundred, or a few thousand. But still a great deal.
Old 04-17-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tarantino, I tell you what.... If saving your time is worth the extra ducats, then PayPal me for a Nuvi... I'll buy a 320 and a 2GB card and will load the maps for you myself. One hundred smackers for 15 minutes of my time is a bargain!
Old 04-17-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Frankly, with the V.8 maps, you can load all of US and Canada on a 1gb card. No need to use the 2gb, but obviously if that's what you have, no harm in using it.

As to the map loading issue, it was a very minor (and quick) inconvenience considering the savings.

And since this is still in stock, seems they found more than just a "few". Maybe a few hundred, or a few thousand. But still a great deal.
maybe future maps will get bigger, and considering that 2gb cards are so cheap these days, why not just get one anyways?
Old 04-17-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

regarding the sizes of cards...anyone know where the POIs are stored, if its on the card or within the unit somewhere? Is it possible to choose where they are stored and if so, how do you go about doing that?
Old 04-19-07, 12:21 AM

Mine arrived today (Wednesday). Just ordered on Monday. Love everything about it so far, except for the windshield mount. I have an '07 Toyota Yaris hatchback, so the huge sloping front windshield is not great for mounting an item I need to be able to reach (for the touchscreen).

Now I'm poking around in GPS forums looking for tips & tricks, custom POI (points of interest) files, etc. A new toy! If anyone has a third-party suggestion for a mount for this model, please share it.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-07, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phraseturner
Mine arrived today (Wednesday). Just ordered on Monday. Love everything about it so far, except for the windshield mount. I have an '07 Toyota Yaris hatchback, so the huge sloping front windshield is not great for mounting an item I need to be able to reach (for the touchscreen).
PT: There are two different mounting options I can think of that might help you -- both of them involve putting the unit on the top of your dash:

a - The c320 shipped with a mounting disk. It's intended to be used in states where a windshield mount is illegal (CA and MN?). You peel the sticky backing off the disk, adhere it to your dashboard, then use the windshield suction mount to attach the mount to the disk. The disk provides a uniformly smooth surface for the suction cup to stick to. The entire assembly can be removed at any time by unsticking the suction cup, but the disk is more or less permanently attached to your dash. If you have more than one car, you'll need additional disks.

b - Garmin also makes a removable "friction" mount that has a set of three "beanbag" weights that hold the unit in place on your dash. It's heavy, pretty sturdy, and the beanbags are textured to add extra friction to help keep your unit in place while driving. It's a pretty good solution, though if you're gonna play Speed Racer and take turns on two wheels the unit is unlikely to stay put. Hey, it's physics. The nice thing is that the mount comes with an extra power adapter, even though you don't absolutely need one. The part # is 010-10613-00 and it can be found on Amazon, eBay, and via Froogle for $30 or less.

[Edited to add] - If you don't mind spending the $30, I'd recommend the friction mount. Check out the reviews on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dashboa...dp/B0007LJHVK/

Last edited by kenbuzz; 04-19-07 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-19-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I ordered one yest...If there are any good places for info on the POI's and usage and stuff please post any links...
Old 04-19-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
PT: There are two different mounting options I can think of that might help you -- both of them involve putting the unit on the top of your dash:

a - The c320 shipped with a mounting disk. It's intended to be used in states where a windshield mount is illegal (CA and MN?). You peel the sticky backing off the disk, adhere it to your dashboard, then use the windshield suction mount to attach the mount to the disk. The disk provides a uniformly smooth surface for the suction cup to stick to. The entire assembly can be removed at any time by unsticking the suction cup, but the disk is more or less permanently attached to your dash. If you have more than one car, you'll need additional disks.

b - Garmin also makes a removable "friction" mount that has a set of three "beanbag" weights that hold the unit in place on your dash. It's heavy, pretty sturdy, and the beanbags are textured to add extra friction to help keep your unit in place while driving. It's a pretty good solution, though if you're gonna play Speed Racer and take turns on two wheels the unit is unlikely to stay put. Hey, it's physics. The nice thing is that the mount comes with an extra power adapter, even though you don't absolutely need one. The part # is 010-10613-00 and it can be found on Amazon, eBay, and via Froogle for $30 or less.

[Edited to add] - If you don't mind spending the $30, I'd recommend the friction mount. Check out the reviews on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dashboa...dp/B0007LJHVK/
i have the friction mount...i think it's way better than the suction cup mount. only thing is, if you brake really hard, then it might slide off the dash.
Old 04-20-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears they're sold out.
Old 04-20-07, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the mount options. Neither really appeals to me, so it looks like I'll come up with some "home brew" method...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.