Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Free stuff with Amazon Prime purchase

Old 12-09-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Free stuff with Amazon Prime purchase

I was looking to buy an HD-DVD and they were offering me the movie for free if I signed up for Prime.

Not sure how high you can go, but just testing it out, you can get the Lost box set DVD for $40 for free.

Not too bad if you were considering signing up for Prime. Since I plan on buying quite a few HD-DVDs over the next year with the extra 10% off, I'm considering getting Prime - good ol' free 2 day shipping.

But there aren't any HD-DVDs getting up to $40, so I'm not sure if I'll just pay a little more for Prime (and get a $25 HD-DVD "free"), or try and maximize the "free"-ness of the Prime offer.

Just a heads up.
Old 12-09-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like $40 is the most you can get free. Found a couple $39.99 DVDs "free" but anything at $41.99 or $42.99 isn't part of the offer.
Old 12-09-06, 09:15 PM

Not bad, with the $40 DVD it's like paying $35 for prime. If I wasn't limiting my purchases for 2007 I'd go for it.
Old 12-10-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ended up biting. Got the King Kong HD DVD ($28) for free, so Prime ended up costing $50. Not bad for what you get - and since I do plan on buying quite a few HD-DVDs from Amazon this year, it made sense. Went back and canceled a few orders I had placed and re-ordered them with free two day shipping. Not a bad deal.

I also e-mailed them to see if I could get two $19.95 dvds for free, but they wouldn't let me do that and there weren't any $39.99 box sets I was interested in.
Old 12-10-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried to get this to work but couldn't
Old 12-10-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm doing a free trial of Amazon Prime and it is an awesome program. I don't think I could pay the money for it -- it's a little steep at $75 -- but it is definitely handy.
Old 12-11-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pilot
I tried to get this to work but couldn't
Odd, I e-mailed them trying to get the most out of it, and it appears to be just for select people, and it only works on select items I believe. YMMV.
Old 12-11-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by djmont
I'm doing a free trial of Amazon Prime and it is an awesome program. I don't think I could pay the money for it -- it's a little steep at $75 -- but it is definitely handy.
Same here, except mine ended yesterday. It also helps keep my purchases down- having to wait until there's $25 worth of stuff I really want! But yeah, good program, way too much for me though.
Old 09-18-12, 12:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Free stuff with Amazon Prime purchase

Didn't find a generic 'Amazon Prime deals' thread, looked like this was the closest.

For those of us still on the free Amazon Mom mailing list, you may have recently received an email offering you $70 off an Amazon Mom order of $100 or more when you buy Prime.

Might just give that $70 to a friend that has a baby, but it was enough to get me to renew my Prime membership.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-21-12 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-19-12, 10:30 AM

We have amazon student prime, r perks same?
Old 09-19-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was only offered $30 off (a month ago), so I passed. For $70, I'd bite too. I have lots of friends with babies. Plus, some toys qualify as part of the baby store, and Christmas is right around the corner...
Old 09-21-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Since I plan on buying quite a few HD-DVDs over the next year
How'd that end up working out for you?
Old 09-22-12, 10:35 AM

Renew Prime membership??

I didn't want to start a new thread but my Prime membership will expire the first part of October. I've turned off auto renewal since in reality I probably don't purchase enough to cover the "free" shipping. Does anyone know if Amazon will offer any incentives after expiration to "get me back"??

One reason I ask is I recently was going to join Angie's List to compare a HVAC contractor for next spring. When I didn't join immediately I've been receiving discounted e-mail offers for membership. Glad I waited actually.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 09-22-12, 12:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Renew Prime membership??

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread but my Prime membership will expire the first part of October. I've turned off auto renewal since in reality I probably don't purchase enough to cover the "free" shipping. Does anyone know if Amazon will offer any incentives after expiration to "get me back"??
You mean besides the things we've said in two of the last four posts?

Historically, they don't offer a lot of discounts or incentives on Prime or Prine renewals. I was shocked to get the $70.
Old 09-22-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to mention you get Amazon Streaming with your membership dues. That on itself is worth it for those that don't want Netflix. It comes to about $6.58 per month.
Old 09-25-12, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Not to mention you get Amazon Streaming with your membership dues. That on itself is worth it for those that don't want Netflix. It comes to about $6.58 per month.
Jeeez, I totally forgot about that. Not that I watch too many movies but does add to value.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 09-25-12, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by zoran009 View Post
We have amazon student prime, r perks same?
bump
any one?
Old 10-07-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup
Old 10-07-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post

One reason I ask is I recently was going to join Angie's List to compare a HVAC contractor for next spring. When I didn't join immediately I've been receiving discounted e-mail offers for membership. Glad I waited actually.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
My Prime ended a month ago, and NO they did not offer me anything to re-up, which is just as well, I have not missed Prime and in fact have spent less money in the last 30 days.
Old 10-07-12, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My Prime ended a month ago, and NO they did not offer me anything to re-up, which is just as well, I have not missed Prime and in fact have spent less money in the last 30 days.
I suspect that will also be my experience.

Rick