Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Air Purifiers?

Old 11-22-06, 05:29 PM

Air Purifiers?

Looking to get one of these . Read the ionic breezers (type) are not that great and over priced. If so what would you recommend and why?
Old 11-22-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Airwashers are great. A bit pricey, but no filters to buy and no killer ozone. BBB has occasional 20% coupons you can use for them.
Old 11-22-06, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

I recently did my own investigating into air filters as we have sever dust problems in my home. Probably because we have several indoor pets that I feel contribute to the problem. I have never read much good about the ionic purifiers either. What I did find is a very good and quiet HEPA air filter which I bought about a month ago and I'm very happy with. It is made by Blueair and I purchased the model 501. The web site is
Blueair
I called them directly to get more information and the operator was very helpful. She suggested I purchase it online from Costco and you don't even need to be a member when getting it online. The advantage was that they included 2 sets of filters which means you don't have to purchase additional filters for 1 year. I'm very pleased with it. Just remember to size the unit to the room you will be using it in.
Old 11-22-06, 08:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Definitely get something that has a HEPA filter, Blueair looks interesting but it sure doesn't look cheap. We have two Hamiltons, has low, high, and automatic fan controls. The ionics do work but are really ineffective because no air is forced through it.
Old 11-24-06, 10:47 AM

We have 2 of those Oreck units you see on the infomercials,
http://oreck.com/air-purifiers/air8.cfm
I like the idea of them not needing replacement filters (you just wash them) there is a carbon filter you can replace every few months to reduce odors in the air but its not neccessary to make the aircleaner work.

I clean them out every 3-4 weeks and they are usually pretty full of stuff (I dip the cells in hot water after spraying them with a can of oreck cell cleaner, then rinse / dry them off ready to use again) and the water is black and has dust fuzzies everywhere in it.

The unit itself I take outside and spray out with a can of air to get more out of it and the fans inside it, seems to catch alot of crap in the air but they were expensive from what I remember I think like $450 for both at the time she bought them, and she got a lightweight little vac with the deal (the vac actually works well).

To me a box fan and a square filter from home depot for $25 would do the same then replace the square filter ($5) every few weeks would do the same, of course thats not "HEPA" and all but still same basic concept...

Not knocking the orecks, they look nice are quiet and seem to become dirty often (so guess that means they work) but sorta think the whole filter machine concept thing is a big rip-off personally.

I know a lot of people are sensitive to the air and or NEED filtration, im just tryin to keep the dirt roads and woods outside - OUTSIDE hehe.

Bill

Last edited by BillA; 11-24-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-25-06, 01:24 AM

Hey thanks for the info. I will check on this. If anyone else has a opinion please reply.
Old 11-25-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Want a good and cheap air filter?

Buy a box fan and a new, high quality, furnace filter that is roughly the same size (the types of filters that run about $12 or $15, not the cheap fiberglass ones). Tape it to the box fan so all air has to go through the filter. Replace the filter periodically.
Old 11-25-06, 12:46 PM

That would work as a ghetto purifier but the looks may not impress the SO.
Old 11-25-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not as bad as you think, it looks like a box fan with something behind it. You have the filter facing a wall.

A friend of mine is big into wood working and was telling me about this. There was a wood working magazine that did a review of air purifiers for wood working shops that included the box fan / filter in the review. The box fan outperformed over half of the other units they were tested and was only beaten by the better ones because of their capability to clean an entire room quickly.

Think about it - you have air flowing through a high efficiency filter. How much more efficient can an air purifier be?
Old 11-26-06, 05:12 AM

what exactly do you mean by "box fan"? is that a special type of fan? (pardon my ignorance...)
Old 11-26-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^box fan^
Old 11-26-06, 09:53 AM

that would be way to loud and take up to much room