Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

laptop for $1k or less?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

laptop for $1k or less?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
laptop for $1k or less?

I'm not up to date on current trends in laptops. What I want is something to do modeling, graphic art, writing, and other minor things on. I'm not looking to play the latest unreal or doom on it.

Are there any good deals like this or where would be a good place to research laptops.

Oh yeah I'm currently using Gimp for graphics and bender for modeling.
Old 10-07-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I, too, am looking for a laptop. Whereas I'd much prefer a Mac, I understand that Microsoft ones are cheaper. I'm looking for one on which I can do rudimentary video editing.
I'd want a DVD writer drive, and at least: 80 gigabytes of hard drive space, a 14 inch screen, two USB ports, firewire, a processor of 1 Gigahertz speed, 512 megabytes of RAM and ability to connect to the internet wirelessly. That's what I'd like at least - of course, if I could get better I'd be very happy... I want to use this as my primary computer, and transfer all my VHS camcorder tapes to digital format so that I can edit them.
Old 10-07-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
a desktop would perform much better as a 3d modeling/ video editor than a laptop, given the same price range for both. with that said, if you must buy a laptop, and want a good deal, then wait a while, and surf around, and you'll find a good deal.
Old 10-07-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep an eye out for Dell coupons or some of those amazing 1 day only sales.
Old 10-07-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a desktop that is just fine. The laptop is for mobility. I probably won't be using it at home much. Dell huh, I'll keep my eye out.
Old 10-07-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I love my Dell laptop. Some may agree/disagree but it gets a thumbs up from me.
Old 01-24-07, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates here? I think I'm in to get one soon.
Old 01-24-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Best Buy always has a laptop on sale for bout $500. I got a pretty decent Gateway one there for that price.

AMD Turion 64. I had to add some more RAM, but it's worked well.
Old 01-24-07, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Best Buy always has a laptop on sale for bout $500. I got a pretty decent Gateway one there for that price.

AMD Turion 64. I had to add some more RAM, but it's worked well.
Yeah they're always on sale but are they any good?

I'd like to get a duo core one.
Old 01-24-07, 01:20 PM

I dropped about 1350 for the dv9035 at Best Buy a month ago and have been completely satisfied.
Old 01-24-07, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
I dropped about 1350 for the dv9035 at Best Buy a month ago and have been completely satisfied.
I want to pay more than $500 but less than 1k. It's not going to be my main machine. It's mostly going to be for emailing and some light audio work.
Old 01-24-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I paid $739 at CC for a Compaq AMD Turion™ 64 X2 TL-50 with a 100GB HD. Has worked like a champ so far. No problems yet, but I've only been using it for iTunes, some light word processing and the internet. No idea if it has the muscle for modeling or music editing, etc., but perfect for what I've needed it for.
Old 01-24-07, 03:38 PM

http://www.gotapex.com/

Check there, they post dell deals every day
Old 01-24-07, 06:57 PM

I've been hearing a lot about going with Centrino processor if you're going to be doing anything intense.

Costco has a coupon coming up for $100 of an HP making the final price $899. It has 2 GB of memory, a 160 GB hard drive and a DVD recorder. I don't have the coupon handy, so don't remember the dates.
Old 01-24-07, 10:46 PM

You want -

Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Turion 64 x2 processor
At least 1 GB RAM, preferably more
At least 80 GB HD, preferably over 100 GB
ATI, Nvidia Graphics card. Avoid Intel Graphics Media Acclerator.
Old 01-25-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some points I would like to make:

1. Now is not the best time to buy a notebook. In a few months and this summer would be a better time. Because a bunch of new technologies are coming out-
1. Santa Rosa - new fourth-generation Centrino platform coming out in April/May
2. New Graphics cards coming out, DX10 graphics cards which will be equipped to handle the next generation games.
3. New wireless technology coming out 802.11n. Which will be improved, very good. Coming out in a few weeks for some companies, little bit later for others.

You can buy if you want to now if you don't care about having the latest stuff. Just be aware of the market.

Other keys when getting a notebook-

A) Avoid 4200 RPM hard drives. VERY Slow. 5400 and 7200 rpm drives are much better, and most notebooks come with 5400rpm, which is not that much slower than a 7200rpm.

B) Get a 1 gig of ram, preferably 1 slot of 1 gig and not 2 slots of 512 as that will be more of a pain when you decide to upgrade the memory

c) research, research, research. A lot of notebooks have issues, all brands. Problems like light leakage, poor view angles, heating issues, and on and on. Don't rush into a notebook purchase.

d) Take the proper steps to maintain your battery as many notebook batteries die within a year because of user mistakes.
Old 01-25-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would wait just to get the New Wireless N built in laptops.
Old 01-25-07, 05:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelland
I've been hearing a lot about going with Centrino processor if you're going to be doing anything intense.

Costco has a coupon coming up for $100 of an HP making the final price $899. It has 2 GB of memory, a 160 GB hard drive and a DVD recorder. I don't have the coupon handy, so don't remember the dates.
Its valid from February 26 to March 8. I'm planning on buyiing that one unless somebody gives me a better recommendation.
Old 01-25-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yeah they're always on sale but are they any good?

I'd like to get a duo core one.
Yes. I use mine strictly for internet and poker playing. It's not a gaming machine by any means. But for what I need it to do, it does it well.
Old 01-25-07, 08:56 AM
Banned

This needs to be bought before May.

Again, I'm not so concerned with getting the newest and the best, especially if it's going to cost me. This won't be my primary machine. If those things can be added and won't rape me, great. If they will, no thanks.
Old 01-28-07, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bballing
Some points I would like to make:

1. Now is not the best time to buy a notebook. In a few months and this summer would be a better time. Because a bunch of new technologies are coming out-
1. Santa Rosa - new fourth-generation Centrino platform coming out in April/May
2. New Graphics cards coming out, DX10 graphics cards which will be equipped to handle the next generation games.
3. New wireless technology coming out 802.11n. Which will be improved, very good. Coming out in a few weeks for some companies, little bit later for others.

You can buy if you want to now if you don't care about having the latest stuff. Just be aware of the market.

Other keys when getting a notebook-

A) Avoid 4200 RPM hard drives. VERY Slow. 5400 and 7200 rpm drives are much better, and most notebooks come with 5400rpm, which is not that much slower than a 7200rpm.

B) Get a 1 gig of ram, preferably 1 slot of 1 gig and not 2 slots of 512 as that will be more of a pain when you decide to upgrade the memory

c) research, research, research. A lot of notebooks have issues, all brands. Problems like light leakage, poor view angles, heating issues, and on and on. Don't rush into a notebook purchase.

d) Take the proper steps to maintain your battery as many notebook batteries die within a year because of user mistakes.

I realize the point of your post, and there are many good points, but would it also stand to reason that if we wait until the new stuff comes out that the older stuff will be going on sale to make room for the new stuff?

I too am looking for a laptop as well and will only use it for basic surfing and e-mail, (although I am an avid gamer, but thats ok) I am just looking for something affordable.
Old 01-28-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bballing
This is better suited for Tech Talk, but just out of curiosity, what are the proper steps?

I ordered a new laptop, which should arrive this week. One of the problems with my old one was a wonky battery.
Old 01-28-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
This is better suited for Tech Talk, but just out of curiosity, what are the proper steps?

I ordered a new laptop, which should arrive this week. One of the problems with my old one was a wonky battery.
This will give you all the info you want-

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...=battery+guide
Old 01-28-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
I realize the point of your post, and there are many good points, but would it also stand to reason that if we wait until the new stuff comes out that the older stuff will be going on sale to make room for the new stuff?

I too am looking for a laptop as well and will only use it for basic surfing and e-mail, (although I am an avid gamer, but thats ok) I am just looking for something affordable.

Yes, for sure. If I needed a notebook for simple surfing and basic applications, I would drop $500 on an HP or Compaq.

For around $600, you can get a pretty decent HP dv2000z series.
Old 02-10-07, 01:21 AM
Suspended

I think this thing is a great bang for the buck....

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...770UAR&cat=NBB

And way under $1k

Councelor

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.