Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

cheapest comic book subscriptions???

Old 04-26-06, 08:00 PM

cheapest comic book subscriptions???

Westfield,Mile High,mycomicshopcom,etc,Who has the best prices on suscriptions?The average price for DC and Marvel is now $2.99.Thats a bit much for me so I am looking to save some money on Hulk,Avengers,Hellblazer and Green Lantern.
Old 04-27-06, 06:49 AM
Defunct Account

I haven't checked it out, but if you're only getting four titles, I'd guess that shipping would kill any savings. Your local comic store would probably be the best bet.
Old 04-27-06, 07:23 AM

http://www.mailordercomics.com/

I haven't ordered from this place, but someone once recommended it to me. So you might want to check it out.
Old 04-27-06, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by videophile
I haven't checked it out, but if you're only getting four titles, I'd guess that shipping would kill any savings. Your local comic store would probably be the best bet.
Agreed.
Old 04-27-06, 10:24 AM

I've been using DCBS for some time now. Most comics are 40% off, first issues and some new story arcs are 75% off. Shipping is almost $6 for monthly deliveries so you'll needd to see if it's worth it for you.

http://www.dcbservice.com/index.aspx
Old 04-27-06, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by foxxvox
Westfield,Mile High,mycomicshopcom,etc,Who has the best prices on suscriptions?The average price for DC and Marvel is now $2.99.Thats a bit much for me so I am looking to save some money on Hulk,Avengers,Hellblazer and Green Lantern.
Ah, Green Lantern.... my favorite.
I stopped collecting that title when they got rid of Hal Jordon.....
But now I hear he's back.... might have to restart :P

But it does seem that most comic collectors get their subscriptions through their local comic book store.... I assume these stores get a bulk discount and some of the savings is passed on to you. (Of course, these are the only ones I see.... I suppose I'd never see the people getting online/home-delivery :P )

Last edited by ShawnMercury; 04-27-06 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 01:07 PM

My local comic book store is raping and pillaging its customers. that is why I prefer going to a mailorder shop. I just recently restated collecting, and I am glad this was my last week going to the LCS because i would cringe at them not offering any discount!
Old 05-02-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
My local comic book store is raping and pillaging its customers. that is why I prefer going to a mailorder shop. I just recently restated collecting, and I am glad this was my last week going to the LCS because i would cringe at them not offering any discount!
Raping and pillaging = charging cover price?

If that's "raping and pillaging" to you, you must live a very charmed life.
Old 05-02-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Comic book stores have tremendous overhead... there's a column done by a LCS owner that's very revealing, and one article remarked that offering a significant discount is pretty much a sure way to go out of business if you're just starting up (if you have an established clientele, it's probably a bit different). Sure, the guy gets a discount on the comics he buys. But he also eats every comic he over orders, hoping that, in this age of graphic novels, someone will actually buy some of his backissues before he has to clearance them for space. Every comic he underorders, he risks ticking off people coming into the store, losing them to other businesses. Keep in mind that he has to make decisions on how much to purchase 3 months in advance... and that he has to predict how popular new series are going to be, how steep a drop off he needs to have from issue 1 to issue 2, and which issues will sell more due to special events and crossovers. This is not even taking into account the cost of running the business, the shipping costs, bagging, etc. Or the virtual monopoly Diamond has on the comic distribution business, and just how many comics a store has to order for how long before they can get a significant discount.

It is true that mail order companies like DCBS and mailordercomics (which I personally use) have much, much better discounts (usually 30-50% or more). This is because they make you order from the Previews catalog, three months in advance... a lot of the guesswork is taken out because not only do they usually not have a physical store and the overhead it causes, but they also know exactly how much to order for each person, and I'm sure the volume is huge.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a mailordercomics.com guy, so I'm not against online ordering, but I do want people to understand that they're hardly "raping" you by charging regular price. Now when comic stores start sending out peons to buy up all the rare toys at local toystores and mark them up 5x, or when they mark up new issues over cover price, THAT's when they're raping you.

For four comics a month, even with the discount I doubt online stores are the way to go (the other drawback of online stores with discounts is that you order months ahead, so it's easy to miss some new series or not drop a series when you want to). the shipping costs alone will probably eat into whatever discount you get.
Old 05-03-06, 02:04 AM

I think I'll just place an order online with the local brick and mortar comic shop;Jude Dredd The Megazine,Justce League of America #0 and the Highlander 25cents issue.The others I'll either pick up in the store or just wait til the next con.I mean whats the point in paying cover price for certain comics when they stand a good chance of showing up several months later in the 1 dollar or 50cents boxes?
Old 05-04-06, 03:38 PM

I've been using M&M COMICS for years (http://www.mmcomics.com) and they constantly provide great discounts and great service.
Old 05-06-06, 12:59 PM

You also may wanna try http://www.superheroeslounge.com/ there's a 20% off all trade paperbacks, hardcover books and pre-pack comic sets.
Old 05-07-06, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use http://www.dreamlandcomics.com/ . They are generally 35% off and 4.99 flat shipping per month/shipment.
Old 05-11-06, 10:33 PM

I'd have to second the recommendation of DCBS (Discount Comic Book Service). I've used them for about a year and saved a small fortune. There is a $6 shipping, but dependent on what you're order you'll save that much anyway
Old 05-12-06, 09:08 PM

I'll recommend DCB and MOC as well,

DCB has discounts of 40% on most Big Two titles, 75% off a few selected books a month, great discounts on Bowen statues and 50% off just about any book/trade paperback item. Their crediting of delayed, cancelled, or re-solicited books is sometimes hard to figure out, but that's by only complaint.

My buddy swears by MOC, who has similar discounts and throws in a free Previews to help you order monthly (assuming you spent their min. amount).

Westfield is the best I've experienced as far as custoomer service, but their 20-25% off vs. 40+% elsewhere, made me jump ship.