Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

60% off Restaurant.com ($25 Dining GC for $4)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

60% Off @ Restaurant.com

Promotional code: 73639

Enter promotional code at checkout, and click on "recalculate total" to apply savings.

Expires 8/31/5
Old 08-24-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up. These are the same folks who in a past incarnation issued a bunch of g.c. without the permission of the restaurants (or way more g.c.s than the restaurant approved), and quite a few restaurants refused to accept them, and the website wouldn't refund them either. One of those 'too good to be true' deals. I, for example, had to toss over $2500 value of certs that none of the dining establishments would honor, for which I spent about $800.00 that I could not get back. I know many people have had no problems with the new restaurant.com certs but I for one won't support a retailer that did what they did to old customers, nor will I take the chance that they will have the same problems again. My advice is if you want to do this, spend small amounts each time and redeem them quickly- I suggest you do not think of this as such a good deal that you will buy enough certs to last for the next year, as you run the risk that the restaurant won't accept them in a few weeks or months. A lot of DVDTalkers got burnt with the problems last time, so buyer beware.

Last edited by raytrade; 08-25-05 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-24-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally concur with raytrade. I was one who got burned too....

And, they are out of the certs in the best places around here.
Old 08-24-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would you buy $800 in certificates in the first place
Old 08-24-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
umm perhaps some people eat out on a regular basis?
Old 08-24-05, 11:28 AM
Banned

Can't you ask before you eat if they accept it???
Old 08-24-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy certificates from them several times a year and have never had a problem using them. They have 50-60% off coupons that pop up at least every few weeks (they email them to me since I've purchased there in the past), so don't ever pay full price.

I've found some real gems that I never would have tried, which is obviously the purpose of the program. One particular place stopped selling certificates after we went the first time (I'm not sure why they were trying to get new business anyway because they're always busy), but we still go back every now and then because the food is so good. It's even out of our way and hard to park, but we love it.

I've purchased certificates ahead of time when I'm going to be travelling, too. You're probably going to be eating at new restaurants anyway, why not do it less expensively?

They take Paypal, too, if you have a balance to burn as I sometimes do (I can't bring myself to give Paypal any info about my bank account).
Old 08-24-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Usually you don't want to ask unless the certificate tells you to ask first. Some places will give you smaller portions if they know you're using a certificate. Refund policy from restaraunt.com is pretty bad so make sure you call the places you want to eat at first, make sure they accept them and use the certificates asap. Basically restaraunt.com will give you credit for whatever amount you spent on certificates but when you want to buy new certificates with the credit you won't be able to use coupons and will have to pay full price... So a certificate that cost you $4 before will now cost you the whole $10...
Old 08-24-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just reminded me that I bought 3 during their last sale...gotta use them up
Old 08-24-05, 08:22 PM

We have recently started making small purchases of certificates from restaurant.com during these 60 percent off sales. We purchased some for a restaurant that no longer honored them. We made one quick phone call to restaurant.com to complain and they gave us double our money back. YMMV, but all of the dealings that I have had with this site have been positive so far.
Old 08-24-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
The best thing to do IMHO is to call the restaurant before you order, to see if they accept the certificates.
Old 08-25-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
They were having a similar major discount, and when you eat out for every single meal like I do, getting $20 worth of food for $5-6 was too good a deal (or so it seemed) to pass up. Also, at the time, they offered G.C. to retailers and spas too, so for example, I bought $500 worth of g.c. to a furniture store for $150 or so thinking I would use it to buy a dresser or bed, only to find the store never authorized these certs.

As for those suggesting you call the restaurant first to ensure they would honor the certs before buying, you should still use the certs you get ASAP. Many DVDTalkers did the same thing in the past, thinking it would protect them, but just 1 or 2 weeks later when the g.c.s arrived, after the restaurant had gotten flooded with g.c.s way beyond the amount they authorized, they could no longer afford the loss and refused to honor them. As others have pointed out, at that point restaurant.com essentially screws you over. The worst part was all the people who reported they had finished their expensive meals, presented the g.c.s which were declined, then were stuck with the embarrassing situation of having to pay for a very expensive meal. Obviously people hadn't planned for this and some didn't even have the money or credit to cover the meal and had huge problems with cops being called, etc. The "real-life" stories of such problems were truly horrifying. There were cases where people took their family or friends out and ordered $500 worth of food which they tried to pay with certs they bought for $100, and then had to come up with $500 for the meal.

Last edited by raytrade; 08-25-05 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 09:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks, I ordered one for one of my fav places in NY, FIREHOUSE. I figured for $1.20 I'd give it a shot.
Old 08-25-05, 09:44 AM

I also got burned for a couple of their certs back in 2001, and I won't ever use them again. In addition, a steak house around the corner from me (East Side Steak and Ale) has a sign up on their menu board on the sidewalk saying "We do not accept Restaurant.com certificates" so they have clearly had problems.
Old 08-27-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question: Can you typically use multipe certificates at one time?
Old 08-27-05, 11:35 PM

Bought a 25.00 for 4 bucks to a really nice place downtown (steak and seaford) where I planned on going anyway. We shall see if it works.
Old 08-29-05, 10:30 AM

UPDATE: Went with a friend to Firehouse on Friday. Before the bill came I told the waitress that I had a coupon, and she looked at it and said "oh, a voucher, no problem just give it to me when you pay." So I spent $1.20 and got $10 off the bill. It worked fine and I'll most likey try again.

I'm guessing the trick is to not get greedy, follow the instructions, and use them quickly. "Stockpiling" the vouchers will probably screw you in the long run.
Old 08-29-05, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JNielsen
It said on the voucher that you can only use ONE at a time, and only ONE in the space of a month. They actually call the # in, so it might be tough to get around.
Old 08-29-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JNielsen
No, that's made clear. One certificate per party, per visit. There's often a limit to how often, as well, like one per month as the previous poster mentioned. The point of the certificates is to get you to the restaurant to try it and hopefully spend more money than your certificate is worth, not to give you a ton of free food.

I read into how the program works one time, pretending to be a restaurant owner. The restaurants don't get any compensation for the certificates. They get the "free" promotion in return for honoring them.
Old 09-06-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Down to 50% savings instead of 60%, but good for a few more days.

Click "Check Out" and enter promotional code 97556. Click "Recalculate Total" to apply your savings.

Expires 9/10/05.

Darn.

I can't report my own post to a moderator to ask for a title change to reflect the 50% rate.