Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

DirecTV HD-DVR $199 AR + service credits!

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DirecTV's customer retention department last night asking for the price quote for a Directv/Tivo HD-DVR. The price they are currently offered is $299 with no rebates. After one call I received it for $299 less $100 rebate and on top of that $150.00 credit and HBO & Showtime for $2.00 for six months.

Here is the thread over at AVS Forums with my post from there below (kenkobra63)
This is what I did to make it work. I canceled my account back in FEB of this year and planned on coming back once the NFL season started. I called and was offered the following:

$299.00 DVR
-$100.00 MIR
-$30.00 ($5.00 per month for HD channels)
$169.00 (after rebate)
$19.00 (after $150.00 credit*) *see below
(six months of showtime and hbo for only $2.00)

(The first rep would not give me the $150.00 credit so I did the following below.)

Called back 5 hours later and received a $150.00 credit towards programming. (Stated I spoke with Bryce) and the nice CS rep told me not a problem and added the credit to my account.

It pays to be nice on the phone. While I was waiting for her to enter in the info to my account I heard in the background other reps just ripping on other customers who called in. The were talking about how other customers called and lied about how long they had service and what a bunch of dumb fu*ks they were. Yes, this is what I heard in the background. Just be nice and you will get what you need.

Link to the thread at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...60#post6043660
Old 08-17-05, 07:19 AM
Pip

Is it possible they are doing this because they have cancelled their contract with TiVo? Did you ask what will happen to your TiVo when they change over to their own DVR system?
Old 08-17-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reply to Pip:
My SAT-T60 DirecTV w/ Tivo is still working strong. No problems at all.
Old 08-17-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Shit. This is a smoking good deal. I'd love to jump on this.
Old 08-17-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
$249 for HD-DVR, triple LNB dish, OTA antenna, installation.

No hassle getting the deal here. First person I talked to found the deal and gave it to me.

Thanks
Old 08-17-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just called back and complained about how long the install took. They gave me the NFL superfan pass for free. So, that is another 99.00 savings. I think I will stop there.
Old 08-17-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheKobra
I just called back and complained about how long the install took. They gave me the NFL superfan pass for free. So, that is another 99.00 savings. I think I will stop there.
You want to call up for me and try?

I just called for the 2nd time. This time got offered the $299 deal, $100 MIR and the $2/2 Showtime/HBO deal. The CSR said they are not offering any more service credits as of yesterday. I explained that I've seen people posting on certain internet sites still getting the credit, but she didn't bite. I want to get something more out of this, as it is a good deal, but it sucks that it's not universal as it varies from CSR to CSR.
Old 08-17-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reply to Deftones:

Yes, call back and you will get it! And no I am not kidding!
Old 08-17-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deftones, be sure to call the retention department at 1-800-600-8977.
Old 08-17-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Reply to Deftones:

Yes, call back and you will get it! And no I am not kidding!
Nope, strike 2.

Just tried again. They are only offering me $5 off per month for programming for the next 6 months. Guy wouldn't budge on getting me service credit or anything else free. This is getting frustrating.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Deftones, be sure to call the retention department at 1-800-600-8977.
I have been. Talked to 2 CSRs, and no dice. This sucks that it's such a crap shoot.
Old 08-17-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have tried to sweeten my deal a few times to no avail. i think it's total crap how DTV has no set plan for who gets what. it all has to do with what kind of CSR you talk to and how lucky you get.
Old 08-17-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kevin75
i have tried to sweeten my deal a few times to no avail. i think it's total crap how DTV has no set plan for who gets what. it all has to do with what kind of CSR you talk to and how lucky you get.
Exactly. It's a total crapshoot. Why some CSRs are able to give better deals and others aren't is ridiculous for this.
Old 08-17-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What one of the CS reps told me is "it all depends on how long you have been with DTV" don't know how true this is but that is what he said. I also checked over at the AVS forums (link posted above) and they are saying the same think about the service credits. It appears they (DTV reps) had a meeting this morning and can not offer any additional discounts. Sorry for those who missed out on the deal.
Old 08-17-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I've been with them for just a bit over a year. I think it'll be a year and a half in November. Yeah, that sucks. I think that's the case, no more service credit. But, I am still going to try and weazel some freebie HD months from them, or at least a discount.
Old 08-17-05, 04:10 PM

What kind of recording options does the DVR have?

I am trying to sell my wife who is in love with the TIVO software. I need to know if you can record by name, time, genre, etc...

Does the DVR allow you to choose the quality to record in? For example, my wife watches All My Children and TIVO's them all the time, and she wouldn't want/need that recorded in HD to take up space.

Is the DVR software as intuitive as the TIVO software?

I was offered the deal, but I told them I would check with my wife first....You know how it is.

Also, do they include the OTA antenna, or could I the Zenith one I already have?
Old 08-17-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

This is a Tivo DVR. It's just the HD version. It comes with a 250 GB HD which can do some ungodly amount of SD (like 180 hours) and 30 hours of HD or some combination of both.

I may just keep my other SD tivo active, use it to record all my SD shows, and do only HD with this beast.

OTA antenna isn't included, but you can get from them for $49 with this deal. If you have an existing HD antenna, it'll work.
Old 08-17-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that's easy.

Just say you are calling back after "checking with your wife" who you finally got to approve your HD upgrade, and act shocked (though not angry) as to why the CSR you had spoken with did not note the generous offer on your account.

Old 08-17-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I did the deal. I would've liked to have received a credit for HD channels or something else, but, alas, they just wouldn't budge no matter how many different CSRs I called. I think it has to do with how long I've been a customer.

Still, getting a HD-DirecTivo for about $235 after tax, shipping and MIR is fantastic. Plus, getting $5 credit for 6 months on my existing bill and $2 Sho/HBO for 6 months is also good.

Damn you DirecTV for doing this now. I guess this'll be my early Christmas present to myself.
Old 08-17-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, I did the deal. I would've liked to have received a credit for HD channels or something else, but, alas, they just wouldn't budge no matter how many different CSRs I called. I think it has to do with how long I've been a customer.

Still, getting a HD-DirecTivo for about $235 after tax, shipping and MIR is fantastic. Plus, getting $5 credit for 6 months on my existing bill and $2 Sho/HBO for 6 months is also good.

Damn you DirecTV for doing this now. I guess this'll be my early Christmas present to myself.
Well Merry X-Mass to you!
Old 08-17-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, thanks for posting the deal Kobra. I usually read AVS but I never check the hardware section. I am sure I would've totally missed this deal.
Old 08-17-05, 07:54 PM
Pip

Reply to Pip:
My SAT-T60 DirecTV w/ Tivo is still working strong. No problems at all.
My DirecTivo is working great as well - that wasn't what I meant. I'm talking about the future - they just cancelled a little while ago, I'm sure it isn't going to happen in the next month... but I wonder if sometime in the next year or so there will be trouble. People getting new equipment could be in for a rude surprise if DTV drops Tivo support. Mine is several years old and I love it, but if they kill it at least I got my money's worth.
Old 08-18-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pip
My DirecTivo is working great as well - that wasn't what I meant. I'm talking about the future - they just cancelled a little while ago, I'm sure it isn't going to happen in the next month... but I wonder if sometime in the next year or so there will be trouble. People getting new equipment could be in for a rude surprise if DTV drops Tivo support. Mine is several years old and I love it, but if they kill it at least I got my money's worth.
If they drop Tivo support they will upgrade your current box for free. They will be doing this with the HD-DVR when the make the change to MPEG-4 in the next 4-6 months. So, we will all be getting new HD boxes again in a short time period.
Old 08-19-05, 12:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
What a bargain. Ordered mine, install scheduled for Wednesday, now to figure out if I get OTA or waivers. I have ABC waivers.
Old 08-19-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Newbie question time:

We can use OTA HD locals without paying for the HD package, right? The seven HD channels that the package provide aren't worth the price per month to me.

There is no technical reason why we couldn't, but that doesn't mean they won't arbitrarily add the restriction...
Old 08-19-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and if you get locals via satellite and OTA (I need satellite locals for non-HDTivo in other room), can you still choose to watch the satellite locals (if, for instance, your OTA locals are out for some reason).

Last edited by Jeremy517; 08-19-05 at 02:16 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.