Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

DirecTV HD-DVR $199 AR + service credits!

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

DirecTV HD-DVR $199 AR + service credits!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer Jeremy517: During set-up, it will ask you if you have two satellite inputs and if you have an OTA antenna. It will complete set-up based on your answers. If you have everything (including SD locals from DirecTV), the channels will appear as 2 (for SD) and 2-1 (for HD). So, yeah, you can watch whichever one you want.

I don't have the HD package from DirecTV, it's a lot of money for very few channels and even less programming. I have a CBS waiver (due to my area being a O&O). All my local HD channels come from the antenna. In other words: no, you don't need the HD package to get OTA HD.
Old 08-19-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I don't have the HD package from DirecTV, it's a lot of money for very few channels and even less programming.
I think Discovery HD is worth it.....when nothing else is on, Discovery HD always keeps me entertained....they have ALOT of great specials and the HD is amazing. They really know how to film in HD.
Old 08-19-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
ESPN 2 is being added on Sept. 8th. TNT-HD is also supposed to be added very soon, possibly before year's end.
Old 08-19-05, 10:28 AM

Ordered mine yesterday. Deliver date is Sept 15th. The guy stated they are being swamped with this deal. With that I believe Tivo is not hurt by DTV dropping them.
Old 08-19-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, DirecTV is still going to continue to support Tivo units through 2007 or 2008. There was a thread about it at AVS. It's just the hardware they won't sell anymore.

For me, this is win/win. Since I'm in the #15 market, I won't be able to get the HD locals very soon, probably for about a year. So this way, it gives me the opportunity to watch HD content for all the shows for that year. Plus, they'll likely switch the box out or give credit when they do switch out to MPEG-4, so this can't hurt in any way.
Old 08-19-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks Chew
Old 08-19-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
ESPN 2 is being added on Sept. 8th. TNT-HD is also supposed to be added very soon, possibly before year's end.
The thing about ESPN, though...

ESPN-HD isn't even HD a lot of the time. With the type of programming they show on ESPN 2, I'd guess that it is going to be HD even less.

But at least it is a start. The sooner they add channels, the sooner I'll pay the $10.99 (unless they raise it...). But for now, I'll be satisfied with HD OTA locals and HBO HD.
Old 08-19-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Actually, supposedly there is going to be alot more HD content on both ESPN and ESPN2 this fall. Also, ESPN is finally going to be doing DD 5.1 on their broadcasts.
Old 08-20-05, 09:30 AM
Pip

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, DirecTV is still going to continue to support Tivo units through 2007 or 2008. There was a thread about it at AVS. It's just the hardware they won't sell anymore.
Well, that's great news - thanks!
Old 08-20-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I called in on Friday and got the Tivo for $299 with the $100 rebate and 6 free months of Showtime and HBO. I went ahead and signed up for the HD package and I did ask the rep about the transition to MPEG-4 and he assured me that I'd be taken care of, so that was good enough for me.

I'm having it installed next weekend - finally, I'll get to watch HD on my HD-ready TV I've had for over 2 years. I never wanted to get a receiver because I couldn't live without my Tivo. And I ALMOST paid $500 for that thing this week. Glad I waited!