Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

About to join netflix or blockbuster... ???

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 07:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had nextflix they were great and went slow on me, I had blockbuster and they were good yet had limited selection (but the 2 in store coupons were nice to rent video games with).

I have the itch for online movie rentals again, are there any coupons or codes (i see on netflix main page it says enter "special offer" code), I am leaning towards blockbuster only for the coupons to rent video games in addition to my monthly movies but are there any other new services like these too worth checking out?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-10-05, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

not sure if it still works, but for blockbuster.com enter "friends" for one free month. I currently have used blockbuster for 4 months and love it!
Old 05-10-05, 10:06 AM
Banned

I think its easier to get the movie pass with BB and go there. You can get 2 rentals a time and unlimited rentals a month.
Old 05-10-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I quit Netflix because they started to delay shipment of discs. I have been relitively happy with Blockbuster until I started renting a series and they only had the first disc out of seven total. I rented disc one and that was fine but the rest of the set is labeled "coming soon". WTF!!?? They bought only one disc in the series? This takes the prize for stupidity.
Old 05-10-05, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Easy
I quit Netflix because they started to delay shipment of discs. I have been relitively happy with Blockbuster until I started renting a series and they only had the first disc out of seven total. I rented disc one and that was fine but the rest of the set is labeled "coming soon". WTF!!?? They bought only one disc in the series? This takes the prize for stupidity.
quoted for truth, although I think people are stealing them and blockbuster didn't just buy some of the dvds out of a set.

I am switching to Netflix and moved all my movies over except for the ones they didn't have (124 out of 500). When I burn through the Netflix list, goodbye Netflix.
Old 05-11-05, 04:43 AM

Blockbuster code "usatoday1" through "usatoday7" should all give a free month of membership. They've been advertising in the paper everyday and just changing the number by one each day.
Old 05-11-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by super doppler
Blockbuster code "usatoday1" through "usatoday7" should all give a free month of membership. They've been advertising in the paper everyday and just changing the number by one each day.
Is this for new members only?
Old 05-11-05, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

Blockbuster is slow until you try to cancel and then the movies start arriving quicker.
Old 05-11-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

see my post in the other blockbuster thread...
Old 05-11-05, 05:19 PM

all i know is that netflix cost me 19.95 last month. I'm canceling it!
Old 05-11-05, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Don't know about Blockbuster's mail in, but their in store just jumped in price.... and they removed their 3 at a time and 1 at a time plans....unless you already have, cannot get, and if you keep it just went up with all their plans.... Blockbuster , I'd go with anybody else as Blockbuster seems to skrew you the first chance they got.

Just my $.02.

Councelor
Old 05-12-05, 05:41 PM

Went in Tuesday night to redeem my monthly two BB coupons at my local BB. The register rang up a $12 late charge from the two titles I rented last month. Yes, I returned them four days after the 'due date' on my receipt, but I thought since the end of the 'late charges' phooey. Well, not in this store because its a FRANCHISE. So, I kindly asked them to consider removing the charge to keep my business coming - and the 'manager' (must have been at least seventeen or eighteen) relented. I have to tell you - if it wasn't for BB online, I probably would NEVER rent movies because of this baloney.
Old 05-13-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been with Neflix for 18 months. With that free Blockbuster month, 2 rentals and cheaper price I'm going to give them a try. But ONLY because I live in a city where they have distribution. From the hour I've spent on Blockbuster's site I'd have to give the nod to Netflix so far (in ease of use and movie choice). I can always go back to them after I try this out... or take a break from renting this way.
Old 05-13-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BBuster is slow... On average you get three dvds per week (if you return it right away). They took one freaking day to ship the next dvd in your queue! That's right, you get the notification saying they got one your movie, then on the next day or some times two days, you get the notification saying your next dvd is shipped. I think they got paper work problems.
Old 05-13-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Netflix is reliable 1 day in this area, so it's great. No problems from them. BB was fine, too. Had nice selection of new stuff.
Old 05-13-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i restarted my BB membership on Wednesday afternoon and got all 3 movies in my mailbox on Thursday!

but of course, I live in NYC near one of the distribution centers.
I don't remember them being this fast before though since I've suspended my membership about 6 months ago.

Also keep in mind that the availibility of a dvd is not accurate. Sometimes it says "availible" but the dvd is out of stock in your distribution center.
This confused me in the past and made me wondered why it took so long for them to ship it to me.
Old 05-13-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
BBuster is slow... On average you get three dvds per week (if you return it right away). They took one freaking day to ship the next dvd in your queue! That's right, you get the notification saying they got one your movie, then on the next day or some times two days, you get the notification saying your next dvd is shipped. I think they got paper work problems.
Funny, that is the exact issue I had with Netflix. For me, blockbuster is much faster only their envelopes seem to fall apart in the mail... sometimes the only thing I get is my address on a flap! They know they have problems too...they even have the envelope problem as an option to select when you "report dvd issues" on their site. The number of discs I never get because of this slows them down to netflix levels so as far as I can see you can pick your poison... both services are equally bad.
Old 05-13-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
BBO costs me 16.04/mo, including tax. With the two coupons and the no late fees,, I can pretty much have a video game rented out almost all month for free.
If I stick something in my mailbox Monday, BBO usually gets it on Tuesday, they usually ship something out Tues or Wed, and I usually get it the day after that. I can deal with that, plus I'm not a big 'power watcher' so I usually take a couple days to work on a disk [especially tv series which have 2-5 hours of content on each one.]
Their inventory is getting better, last I checked, which was admittedly a couple weeks ago, about 70% of my queue was Available. No, that's not great, and NF had them beat with that, but it's a lot better than the 40-50% BBO did have. I'm not anti-netflix, we were with them for four years and loved them, but we got stuck on a price increase/decrease trap [our price got increased with all the increases, but didn't decrease with the decreases], so for the same price I was paying, I can now get three disks at a time and two instore rentals, rather than just two disks out at a time.
I agree, BBO's envelopes suck--at least five times the envelope has gotten damaged, sometimes to the point that all I got was the flap as well, and the disk got returned automatically.
Both services are good, and they both have some flaws/quirks.
Now, I don't like BBO's site as much--you can't right click to 'Open in New Tab' on the Queue, and it doesn't as many features--but usually I search for a specific title and add them, I don't just browse; and a lot of NF features are somewhat pointless, imho.
Old 05-19-05, 03:07 PM
Cool New Member

I've been thinking about joining one of these dvd mail services too. I would like to know if the discs arrive in good condition or are they scratched up and still sent out. My library carries dvds but they are usually unwatchable so I have stopped getting any from there.
Old 05-19-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Walmart DVD service was sold to Netflix today.
Old 05-20-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Picot12
I've been thinking about joining one of these dvd mail services too. I would like to know if the discs arrive in good condition or are they scratched up and still sent out. My library carries dvds but they are usually unwatchable so I have stopped getting any from there.
I've gotten 12 DVDs from BBV (just signed up last month), only one was scratched to the point that one of the scenes was unwatchable. Most of the rest have been scratched but didn't seem to affect playback.
Old 05-20-05, 11:00 AM
Banned

Personally, I couldn't be happier with Blockbuster. I receive my discs in 1-2 days and they receive mine the next day typically.
Old 05-21-05, 09:35 AM
RVP

I am thinking of joining Blockbuster as well. What are the offers for new members?