Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Incredible 2.1 speaker deal. AMAZING!!!

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 05-09-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.cssauction.com/product/__...ying-case.html

Okay, here's the deal....I wanted good speakers for my ipod. I was unimpressed with everything that actually docks with the ipod. The Bose was probably good, but I wasn't going to pay $299 for the name. So I researched a lot. I finally ended up with the above speakers after seeing some great reviews. It can also be found at Amazon for roughly the same price, but shipping is outrageous. These list for $299. The above link has them for $69.99 or 2 for $125 with free shipping (and the boxes weigh 34 lbs each)...BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE (hehe).

I ordered 2 because I needed some for some outbuildings I have and thought it would be nice to just have to move my ipod and not my speakers, but still have them portable to take them with me on a trip. Okay, here is the highlights:

1) these have an actual rechargeable battery that will last for about 4 hours at 70% volume.

2) The battery can be purchased at radio shack instead of being a proprietary type. The link is below, and the battery goes for $64 to replace.

3) Through the above link, you not only get the speakers, you also get a carrying case that makes them nice and portable (looks like a gym bag, but has a protective area specially made for the sat. speakers, cables, etc.), and you also get an extra battery in case the one that comes with the system ever dies (freaking $64 value right there!!!!).

I hooked these up according to the instructions. They said to put the volume at half and the "bass boost" to zero. I plugged in my ipod and listed to Tarzan Boy by Baltimora (what else can you truly judge speakers with?). The sound was WAY TOO LOUD (but perfectly clear). My ipod volume was too loud. I put it to about the midpoint, and these speakers are still plenty loud. Not only loud, but incredible sound for small speakers. Great bass. Great highs. The mid is a little weak, but the speakers are pretty small.

The speakers stands are a joke, but it came with lots of cables. Had everything I needed. This is sitting on top of my Boston Accoustic THX speakers, and they are not as good as they are, but they are DAMN GOOD. This is easily one of the best purchases I have made. I cannot recommend this enough.

If you buy these, make sure of one thing. I used the "spare" battery instead of the one that came with the system just so I could keep the orgininal in the packaging. However, on the original is a black female to female adapter you need for the wire hookups. I spent 10 minutes looking through all the packaging looking for it. So I just saved you 10 minutes as well.

Hit me with any questions you have. This thing is GOLD!!!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=960-0453
Old 05-10-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this feeling Dave is going to hit you up for $64 friggin' RIGHT THERE because he saved you money.
Old 05-10-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for stereo computer speakers, I'll keep these in mind. Thanks.
Old 05-10-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, these would be perfect. I actually consider them "too good" as a computer speaker, simply because the volume they produce is unreal....but I generally only listen to the computer when I am sitting right next to it. Using it as part of your home theater, jukebox, etc. would be excellent. When you do buy them, send $64 to me via paypal for the additional speaker.

These could easily be great home theater speakers if you only needed stereo.

edit: Damn you Chi....you've killed my money maker.

Old 05-10-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do i need this? no...

did i just order 2? yes...

--
i don't see the info on another battery though. it's 2 kits so it comes w/ 2 batteries... or 3?

Originally Posted by kvrdave
and you also get an extra battery in case the one that comes with the system ever dies (freaking $64 value right there!!!!).

Last edited by young; 05-10-05 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Each system comes in a cardboard box that has two more cardboard boxes in it. The first is the system, complete with speakers, battery, cables, etc. The second box is the carrying case, plus another battery. I never saw anything about the extra battery in the description either. It was a complete surprise.

So 2 kits come with 4 batteries total...2 for each kit.
Old 05-10-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I'm interested. Have you tried plugging it into the iPod dock to bypass the volume controls and stuff in the ipod? How's that sound?
Old 05-10-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Ok, I'm interested. Have you tried plugging it into the iPod dock to bypass the volume controls and stuff in the ipod? How's that sound?

No, I didn't. The volume on the speakers in on the back of the sub, which isn't the most convenient, so I just used the volume on the ipod once I had it hooked up.

What is the advantage of keeping it docked? Do you keep it plugged into the computer at the same time, or just docked for power, etc.?
Old 05-10-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

these look great! but I already have a decent pair of 2.1 speakers. although mine are not portable as these are, i still can't come up with a rationalization to buy these...

Originally Posted by young
do i need this? no...

did i just order 2? yes...
Old 05-10-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
No, I didn't. The volume on the speakers in on the back of the sub, which isn't the most convenient, so I just used the volume on the ipod once I had it hooked up.

What is the advantage of keeping it docked? Do you keep it plugged into the computer at the same time, or just docked for power, etc.?

Power, safety, and also bypassing the volume controls on the iPod isn't a bad idea. It sends the audio out similar to how your CD player would to your receiver. On our receiver in my office for some reason going direct out from the iPod sounds much, much worse than using the dock. YMMV.
Old 05-14-05, 06:41 AM

Really didn't need to spend the money...but somehow talked myself into this. Would go great with the portable dvd player I'd like to get when I have the $$$
Old 05-14-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Meh. I'll stick with the Speakers I bought from the nice guys in the van....
Old 05-14-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the center speaker? It doesn't look so portable if you're lugging a subwoofer around.
Old 05-16-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally, you're good for something. Just ordered one. Should come in handy.
Old 05-17-05, 03:13 AM

I think the subwoofer is in reality pretty small.
Old 05-17-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they're pretty heavy. the satellites are like little solid metal wedges. it's a hefty package overall, but packed up, it is portable. note that the bag isn't really padded so you can't be throwing this around.

so, everything said so far is true. sound is excellent for what these are.

setup is kind of a pain. that is, the speaker cables to the subwoofer are bare wire. the end to the satellites is a single rca jack. when you pack it up, you need to disconnect everything. i think the speaker cables are waaaay too long. i would have preferred 3 feet... or maybe 6 feet of cable. it's like 30 feet (just a guess) and 15 feet... yes, for some reason, they aren't the same length. also, the satellites' speaker stands are not attached. they're like a very thick paper clip you rest the speakers on.

there are some nice design thought put into the duffle bag. both ends open up, and makes it easy for you to access the back of the subwoofer to get to the jacks.

the spare battery, they packed into the box w/ the duffle bag. looks like it's just a bonus they threw in there.

set it up, hooked up the ipod... set it on shuffle and sweet music.

overall, for $63 each set, these are a very very good deal. thanks again for the heads up.

--
lol, as for the speakers from the van... i've seen those and these are much better.

--
yes, i know i can cut the cables.

Last edited by young; 05-17-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

That all sounds about right. The speaker cables were STUPID LONG. And the speaker stands were laughable, but everything else is really amazing.

My first thought on how the different length of cable was, "How did they know I was going to have one further away than the other?"
Old 05-20-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got mine today. Cripes, this bag is heavy! Guess I won't be taking these on a long hike through the woods.

Should be cool for backyard fun and picnics. They really crank, too. (I threw away the "speaker stands". )
Old 05-20-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Dave.

I bought a house this week and promised myself I would stop buying things I didn't really need.

Luckily, I really need some ipod speakers.
Old 05-23-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just ordered it.

Thanks for the heads up, Dave!
Old 05-23-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Used this yesterday on a friend's deck. Wireless laptop, Launch.com, and this speaker set and we had an impromptu party. Didn't even turn the volume up past notch 2 or 3...quite loud.
Old 05-25-05, 08:25 PM

Just got 'em. I pretty much concurr with the other reviews in this thread, and I can confirm the inclusion of the extra battery. I do challenge the company's interpretation of the word "portable" because while they can be carted around pretty easily with the case, it is rather large and heavy.

Does anyone know if those speaker cables can be replaced with something shorter? I'd like to hang onto these in case I use use it in some sort of application that requires them, but for portable use those things are a pain!

Overall a very cool item, especially at that price.
Old 05-25-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jetflair
Just got 'em. I pretty much concurr with the other reviews in this thread, and I can confirm the inclusion of the extra battery. I do challenge the company's interpretation of the word "portable" because while they can be carted around pretty easily with the case, it is rather large and heavy.

Does anyone know if those speaker cables can be replaced with something shorter? I'd like to hang onto these in case I use use it in some sort of application that requires them, but for portable use those things are a pain!

Overall a very cool item, especially at that price.
Yeah, you won't take them with you if you are just going for a walk

However, I took them to a picnic, and that is where they shine.

As far as the cables, you have a couple of options.....1) cut and splice the ones that came with it. Sounds like you would rather hang on to those, so that isn't the best option. 2) Go to radio shack, buy some relatively cheap speaker wire and a plug. If they are nice, they will even put it on for you. If they suck, they will sell you the tool to do it.
Old 05-30-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got mine yesterday. Nice deal. Thanks again OP.