Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Beck "Guero" Deluxe CD/DVD $14.99 @ BestBuy.com

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Title says it all. Here's the link:

Guero CD/DVD $14.99 (Pre-order for 3/29 release)

Looks to be a pricing error, since most sites are charging $25-30.

You're welcome,
Randy
Old 03-23-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you!

however, best buy is currently selling the deluxe QOTSA album for way cheaper than everyone else as well.... so it may not be an error.
Old 03-23-05, 06:36 PM

I jsut ordered one also.

I hop the SACD comes out soon too.
Old 03-23-05, 10:38 PM

Hey, thanks! Thats a great price, hope it holds up.
Old 03-24-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks OP. Ordered.
Old 03-24-05, 11:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even with S&H and tax it still came to a very reasonable $17.43

ordered my copy.
Old 03-24-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, any word on an SACD of this being released?
Old 03-24-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last I heard the SACD version is cancelled... sucks. http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=11574969
Old 03-24-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the link, Evolution.
Old 03-24-05, 02:44 PM

anyone know if this will be the in-store price on tuesday?
Old 03-24-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As far as I know, the DVD includes a 5.1 mix of the album with a "video remix" option available via the "Angle" button on your DVD remote.
Old 03-29-05, 11:16 AM

$19.99 in store
Old 03-29-05, 12:55 PM

It's still showing as $14.99 on bestbuy.com. I placed my order this morning for instore pickup at that price. Can't wait for work to be over.
Old 03-29-05, 03:09 PM

Did it online for $14.99 and in-store pickup. I'll have to wait until Friday to pick it up, though...

Thanks OP!
Old 03-29-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads up!

$16.15 for pick up. I just hope it's truly in stock in this area....
Old 03-29-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got mine today. Really, really nice. Definitely worth the price.

The set looks like a hardcover book with a lyrics book/photographs/drawings section within. The CD and DVD are slightly overlapping at the back.

Thanks again OP.
Old 03-29-05, 11:23 PM

Just finished listening/watching the 5.1 mix (standard DVD). I was blown away. Excellent, excellent, excellent experience. I envy those of you with the DVD-Audio equipment.
Old 03-30-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
It's $19.99 in store. So there IS a regular CD in the package, right? There's actually no mention of one in the package, not even a CD logo anywhere. I was concerned it was just a DVD and DVD-A. What makes this doubly frustrating is that I just got a new DVD/ SACD player yesterday.
Old 03-30-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
It's $19.99 in store. So there IS a regular CD in the package, right? There's actually no mention of one in the package, not even a CD logo anywhere. I was concerned it was just a DVD and DVD-A. What makes this doubly frustrating is that I just got a new DVD/ SACD player yesterday.
uhm, the cd+bonus dvd isn't the same package as the dvd-audio...
Old 03-30-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
uhm, the cd+bonus dvd isn't the same package as the dvd-audio...
Actually, after reading the Amazon reviews, it seems you are wrong. The DVD has both a regular DVD layer and a DVD-Audio one. There is also a CD included to answer my own question. It's very strange that there's no mention of a CD anywhere on the packaging, though,
Old 03-30-05, 09:47 AM

There are two discs in the package. One is a standard CD that includes the 13-track Guero album + 3 non-album tracks, and 4 remixes. The other is a DVD-Audio disc that includes a 2.0 stereo mix, a 5.1 surround mix, and a 5.1 DVD-A mix. The DVD-A disc contains the 13-track Guero album (along very nice visuals for the TV screen, plus videos for E-Pro and Black Tamborine - easter eggs but easy to find).
Old 03-30-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Actually, after reading the Amazon reviews, it seems you are wrong. The DVD has both a regular DVD layer and a DVD-Audio one. There is also a CD included to answer my own question. It's very strange that there's no mention of a CD anywhere on the packaging, though,
my mistake. i guess i was the one who was confused!
Old 03-30-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very very very nice. god i love beck.

if you like this, you should pick up the DVDA version of sea change. i love that album, and amazingly it is even better when mixed to 5.1. simply amazing.
Old 03-30-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Just picked mine up on lunch - brought up the link on my Treo phone and showed a guy the $14.99 sale price that does not come up in store and he gave it to me for $14.99.......listening to it right now.

Good stuff..........
Old 03-30-05, 03:24 PM

How to get the most out of your Beck Guero Deluxe DVD

OK - there seems to be a Beck thread in every forum right now, but this one has had the most action for the past several days, so here goes:

From beck.com

How to get the most out of your Beck Guero Deluxe DVD

The Guero deluxe edition is a groundbreaking collision of art and technology. To the passive listener, it is a visually stimulating journey into an amazing record. To the advanced user, it is a journey like no other. With a stunning 5.1 surround sound mix by Elliott Scheiner and visuals by video artists D-Fuse, Beck's Guero goes beyond the typical album experience.

Guero is the first-ever global release of a surround sound album in simultaneous release of the standard commercial CD. As another first, there is not only one video for every song on the album but by utilizing the outer limits of DVD technology discussed below, listeners can access over 100 videos.

For all 13 songs on Guero there are 2 video streams (aka angles) and 4 subpicture streams. When you play E-Pro for the first time, for instance, you'll see green jelly fish and a pattern of rounded squares in front of them. This is more than meets the eye, the squares in front of the jelly fish are not part of the video, they are actually part of subpicture stream #1. The subpicture stream is a layer in front of the video that can be turned on, off or even changed using the "subtitle" button. Usually on DVDs of theatrical films, this feature is used to display text of the movies dialog in multiple languages: subtitles. So, by pressing the subtitle button instead of getting French dialog at the bottom of the screen, on the Guero DVD you can reveal more of the video, access 8-bit images of becks photography, reveal stylized lyrics or even see cute little Atari-looking birds flying across the screen.

Continuing with the E-Pro example if you were to press the angle button on the DVD player's remote you will reveal the second video stream on "angle 2." As a common example of the use of this technology, many of you may have "heard" of (but I'm sure not seen it) this in adult film, showing different angles of the same scene. In this case, the second angle is a different visual angle/interpretation of beck's music by D-Fuse. For E-Pro we go from Jelly Fish to abstract lines and imagery combined with 3-demintional architectural-influenced designs.

So with these concepts in mind you can create visual remixes of each so each song using the subtitle and angle buttons on your DVD player's remote control. To showcase this in for the passive user, a special feature of this DVD is that after you play it all the way through, the DVD will go back to track 1 with a different combination of angle and subtitle without even having to touch the "angle" and "subtitle" buttons: Key for parties, hipster retail, etc.

Other features on the disc include:
1. photo gallery of D-Fused Beck Photos
2. the capability to play in several automotive surround sound DVD-Audio players such as the Acura TL
3. more detailed information about the visual in the credits section
4. a couple of easter eggs featuring the official E-Pro and Black Tambourine music videos. When you find the Black Tambourine video, hit the angle button to see the "double easter-egg!"

:: :: :: ::

A small percentage DVD players may have problem accessing certain tracks from the Track Menu on the Beck - Guero DVD disc. This issue can occur because of the complicated nature of the D-Fuse content on certain tracks. If your player has problems accessing a particular track from the menu, you can easily workaround this problem by going to the track before the problem track, and either skipping or fast-forwarding to the end that track so that the player continues playing into the problem track.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.