Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looney Tunes Collector’s Choice from Warner Archive

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1641087597169590272?s=46&t=9Dlk3BlyBe-fYXeXbMgOIA

I’m excited for this and it’s a day one purchase.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
re: Looney Tunes Collector’s Choice from Warner Archive

Old 03-29-23, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Nice that they're including never-before-released cartoons in this, but the fact that there's only 20 shorts in the set really makes me wish they would've continued with the Platinum Blu-ray series, even through the Archive. All three of those have around 50 cartoons each, and I can't imagine there won't be overlap in this set, and it'll take more than seven of these to equal the numbers. Clearly the reduction in content means they'll be milking it a while. I guess the title list could be the deciding factor for some buyers.
Adam Tyner (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

George Feltenstein said these are all new to Blu. But the most important thing here is that these are full on restorations in the proper, pre-pandemic Warner Archive manner. A lot of the shorts on the Platinum Collections were HBO Max quickies with tons of DNR and badly recreated titles. That's not to say I'd want them to keep redoing the same titles over and over, but it's good to know that Warner Archive has survived the turmoil of the last couple of years and seems to be back doing what they do best.
Brian T (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I still haven't upgraded past my six DVD volumes of the Golden Collection. And anymore we usually watch on streaming of some sort, but if this price isn't bad I may buy it to help support the restorations (like I do the Tex Avery ones).
Old 03-29-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
George Feltenstein said these are all new to Blu. But the most important thing here is that these are full on restorations in the proper, pre-pandemic Warner Archive manner. A lot of the shorts on the Platinum Collections were HBO Max quickies with tons of DNR and badly recreated titles. That's not to say I'd want them to keep redoing the same titles over and over, but it's good to know that Warner Archive has survived the turmoil of the last couple of years and seems to be back doing what they do best.
Good to know, indeed. Mind you, I can't say I had any real issues watching the Platinum sets. I may have noticed variations between some and others, but nothing that impacted the enjoyment of cartoons that I likewise enjoyed in far worse presentations on old Saturday morning and after-school broadcasts when I was a kid. Content-wise, most of them aged remarkably well, despite how they often looked back at one time or another.

Knowing that none of these are from the previous Blu-rays does make the purchase a lot easier (although presumably that means some of them could have been in the previous Golden Collection DVDs?). If they do start doing the old titles over and over, I may just tap out. I mean, the 150 cartoons in the three Platinum sets are still more than watchable. Since a couple of those do appear to be out of print now, I guess going forward Warner Archive is it, although if 20-per-set becomes the norm it could be a long haul.
Old 03-29-23, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I have the three volumes of The Platinum Collection. Might consider getting this new set.
Old 03-29-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Good to know, indeed. Mind you, I can't say I had any real issues watching the Platinum sets. I may have noticed variations between some and others, but nothing that impacted the enjoyment of cartoons that I likewise enjoyed in far worse presentations on old Saturday morning and after-school broadcasts when I was a kid. Content-wise, most of them aged remarkably well, despite how they often looked back at one time or another.

Knowing that none of these are from the previous Blu-rays does make the purchase a lot easier (although presumably that means some of them could have been in the previous Golden Collection DVDs?). If they do start doing the old titles over and over, I may just tap out. I mean, the 150 cartoons in the three Platinum sets are still more than watchable. Since a couple of those do appear to be out of print now, I guess going forward Warner Archive is it, although if 20-per-set becomes the norm it could be a long haul.
Thinking about it more, the more egregious examples of poor restoration might be on the Bugs Bunny 80th set as opposed to the platinum collections (which are oop and super expensive). They don't bother me that much either, but my main point is that these cartoons are now in the hands of Warner Archive, who are, in my opinion, the very best. My understanding is that they were previously never allowed access to them as they always fell under the umbrella of Warner Home Video proper. For sure there will be overlap with the Golden Collection, but the priority seems to be to get out as many of the unreleased shorts as possible.
Old 03-30-23, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Nice to see some more Looney Tunes released.
Old 03-30-23, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Thinking about it more, the more egregious examples of poor restoration might be on the Bugs Bunny 80th set as opposed to the platinum collections (which are oop and super expensive). They don't bother me that much either, but my main point is that these cartoons are now in the hands of Warner Archive, who are, in my opinion, the very best. My understanding is that they were previously never allowed access to them as they always fell under the umbrella of Warner Home Video proper. For sure there will be overlap with the Golden Collection, but the priority seems to be to get out as many of the unreleased shorts as possible.
No doubt the cartoons are in better hands now. I suspect an equal priority, financially, will be to release these in small-ish numbers like this so they can milk it longer. And at the rate Warner Archive moves, even prior to the turmoil, I wonder if some collectors will still be alive by the time they get around to a final set. As a devoted Hong Kong cinema junkie, I've been hearing Feltenstein's promises that their Golden Harvest titles are 'in progress' or whatever from time to time over the years, but we've still only been treated to one on Blu so far. And if another GH title is on the horizon that I just haven't heard about, well, that's two. To balance my own skepticism about the cartoons, though, I should remind myself that the Tex Avery discs were all released within a less-than-two-year span, so there's always hope! (btw, are there still plans to do a Vol. 4 of that one?)

Last edited by Brian T; 03-30-23 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

This is on sale for $17.99
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-13-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went ahead a preordered it for that price.
Old 04-13-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Already pre-ordered a while back but am glad that the price dropped a bit. It’s good to support releases like this as I don’t trust streaming services for stuff like Looney Tunes. Who knows if or when they’ll be removed for whatever reason.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-13-23 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to avoid Amazon but I'll pick this up soon. Best Buy has the same price so I might order some more stuff to get free shipping.
Old 04-13-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking up the Platinum collection and the Blu-rays of vol 1 and 2 are apparently out of print and selling for really high prices. I have a lot of the Golden collections and would like to upgrade to Blu-ray.
Old 06-19-23, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Down to $12.99 now
Amazon Amazon
Brian T (06-20-23)
Old 06-21-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you care about the Looney Tunes franchise at all, it is very necessary to buy these types of releases. It's 13 bucks for over two hours of classic laughs and the more sales the studio sees in the first few weeks of release makes it more likely for them to do more of these and take care of the catalog.
Old 06-21-23, 05:11 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Ugh, if I could go back in time I'd make the Looney Tunes creative team choose any title for Bugs Bunny cartoons except their oft-used hare-brained rabbit puns. Most times it's impossible to tell what short it is just by the title. I wish the descriptions said, "The one where Bugs..." to help.
Old 06-21-23, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I’ve been watching these for over forty years and I should know more of them, but I see others talking about specific titles and I have no idea what they mean.
Old 06-26-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's down to $11.49 now. It must not be selling.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-28-23, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
It's down to $11.49 now. It must not be selling. https://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-...s%2C105&sr=8-1
I don't ever remember seeing a Warner Archives release dropping this quickly. I'm guessing they overmanufactured initial pressings thinking the Looney Tunes name would command more attention.
Old 06-28-23, 09:27 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Thata a good price and I feel weird that it's up to me to "support" a release. It looks great but I'm also not overly impressed by that lineup as I want to be. I wonder if that's part of why it isn't moving.
Old 06-28-23, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It hit number 7 on the sales chart and is still in the top twenty according to Amazon. It apparently also sold 2000 units in the last month.

I think it’s selling a bit better than they expected and they’re playing with the pricing to keep the numbers going.

You know how the steaming services base a series’ success on how it does in the first few months? The execs might be applying that thinking to physical releases too.
Old 06-30-23, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Were the previously released Platinum volumes the same stuff as released in the first six volumes of dvd Looney Tunes sets?

If no then what's the difference's?

Is there a website with the listing's on the animated shorts released so far and which blu rays have them.
Old 06-30-23, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I appreciate the price, and the audio/video are the focus, but no extras at all? Public domain DVDs from 1998 put in more effort in presentation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.