DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/656718-whats-most-youve-paid-single-movie.html)

Cardsfan111 11-17-22 01:19 PM

Re: What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

I'm the opposite of everyone here, refusing to spend the big bucks. I don't know the exact answer, but I'd guess I haven't spent more than $15-20 for a single movie.

mndtrp 11-17-22 02:38 PM

Most spent on a single movie, and just the movie, was something like $80 for a VHS of Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Early 2000, it wasn't available on VHS anymore, and the DVD hadn't been released. My girlfriend at the time was really into the movie, so I hunted the copy down. We broke up shortly after, and then the DVD was released in 2001.

OldBoy 11-17-22 06:16 PM

Probably what ever retail was on the Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray set from UK. Maybe $150? Something like that. More recently probably around $70 to get an imported 3D Blu-ray.

rexinnih 11-17-22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 14192155)
Back in the Laserdisc days, it was pretty common to pay $100 or more for a CAV box set, especially those from Criterion or Disney.

This is what first came to my mind. Bram Stokers Dracula Criterion at $100+

DJariya 11-18-22 12:01 AM

DVD:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a9cd6816b1.jpg

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Ultimate Edition for $29.99 at Best Buy

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6a55844846.jpg
Robocop 4K from Arrow Limited Edition: $32.99

Got it from Hamilton Books

Digital:

Scoob! $24.99 from Fandango.com
I regret this purchase so much. I got it during the height of the pandemic when there was no new theatrical content. And this later went to HBO Max a few weeks later.

Bill and Ted Face the Music: $24.99 from Vudu. I also regret this purchase. Way too expensive for a mid budget comedy that would normally be $9.99. Also got this during the height of the pandemic when this went straight to streaming.

I will never spend $20+ on a digital rental or purchase ever again.

morriscroy 11-18-22 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14192948)
DVD:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Ultimate Edition for $29.99 at Best Buy

Interesting.

Is this the edition that had an unlisted "secret" version of the film which inserted the deleted scenes back into the movie? I only ever found it from playing the disc on a computer dvd player (such as VLC), and noticed different program chains where the "secret" version was one of the non-default ones.

If it is, my copy has the same front cover artwork but the slipcase was missing. (It was a dump bin find for less than $10 sometime during the mid 2000s).

LorenzoL 11-18-22 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14192961)
Interesting.

Is this the edition that had an unlisted "secret" version of the film which inserted the deleted scenes back into the movie? I only ever found it from playing the disc on a computer dvd player (such as VLC), and noticed different program chains where the "secret" version was one of the non-default ones.

If it is, my copy has the same front cover artwork but the slipcase was missing. (It was a dump bin find for less than $10 sometime during the mid 2000s).

Yes that’s correct. I still have the same DVD with the metal slipcover.

John Galt 11-18-22 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14192948)
I will never spend $20+ on a digital rental or purchase ever again.

$20 barely covers the cost of one ticket these days. I’ll gladly pay $20 to watch a movie currently in theaters at my own home and not have to deal with buying two tickets, $8 beers, $10 popcorn, not being able to pause for a bathroom break, people in front of me browsing their cell phone, people talking in the theater, people getting up during the movie, etc.

milo bloom 11-18-22 09:15 AM

I think I've paid $30+ for some Arrow releases like Mallrats and such.

Depending on how low it goes, I could see myself spending $40-50 on the Star Trek The Motion Picture special edition so I can get the extended cut (it's one movie but three versions).

Brian T 11-18-22 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 14192984)
Yes that’s correct. I still have the same DVD with the metal slipcover.

That metal slipcover was a pain in the ass! It didn't didn't fully wrap around the DVD (or maybe I'm remembering a Blu-ray variant?) so there was this fairly wide gap at the back, and storing it between other discs meant the ridiculously sharp edges of the metal would scrape those cases every you moved it. And it wasn't very snug, so if you picked it up the wrong way, the case would slide right out. :lol:

- - - - - - -

Just thought of one other (shameful) exception to the 'get 'em cheap' rule: the Disney/Marvel 3D Blu-rays from Japan. They run about $80 CDN a pop (or more) no matter where you get them, and they're the only way to legitimately get the 3D versions now. I've mentioned elsewhere that 4K doesn't interest me, but I suppose I have a small collection now because these are 4K/3D combos. I skip Marvel movies in theatres now (starting with BLACK WIDOW, although I did grudgingly make an exception for DR. STRANGE 2) because there's only so much money I can justify throwing at any single movie, and these discs exceed it by over four times! :lol: It's beyond stupid, and it's truly my weak spot. There are times I'm tempted to just look for bootleg versions at the Chinese malls here, but even those are overpriced! On the plus side, these versions do seem to hold their value, so hopefully if I ever sell them (not that I have plans for that) I can make back a good portion of what I paid.

Josh Z 11-18-22 09:29 AM

Not to be a gatekeeper here or anything, but I think some of you guys posting about how the most you've ever paid for a movie was $30 are missing the point of the thread.

ViewAskewbian 11-18-22 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 14193041)
Not to be a gatekeeper here or anything, but I think some of you guys posting about how the most you've ever paid for a movie was $30 are missing the point of the thread.

Well, as the thread starter, if that's the max they've paid for a single flick then they got the point. :shrug:

Personally, it's nice to see the varied replies and learning that others are kinda' sticklers with their spending habits like me.

I think I'll start a what's the LOWEST you paid for a single movie thread too, you know, for comparison curiosity.

rocket1312 11-18-22 09:58 AM

Nope

TomOpus 11-18-22 10:08 AM

Another Second Sight of Dawn of the Dead. Before that was a signed VHS of August Underground, which the only VHS tape I still own.

Josh Z 11-18-22 11:40 AM

I suppose it's technically two movies (though one hardly qualifies as a "movie" and is more of a clip-show recap leading into the other), but I believe the most I've spent on one title was the Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion Laserdisc box set. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was at least $300.

(Be advised, the cover art is NSFW.)

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/17810...e:-Limited-Box

Kurt D 11-18-22 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 14193144)
I suppose it's technically two movies (though one hardly qualifies as a "movie" and is more of a clip-show recap leading into the other), but I believe the most I've spent on one title was the Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion Laserdisc box set. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was at least $300.

(Be advised, the cover art is NSFW.)

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/17810...e:-Limited-Box

The gall! " this massive package contains both of the Evangelion movies"

;)

Inhumans99 11-18-22 02:52 PM

I just realized that I was only thinking of DVD/Blu/UHD 1 movie purchases that I have personally paid for when I mentioned the Belle import UHD a few posts upthread, but if we include Laserdiscs, than oh boy, I have a few 1 film purchases that blew past what I paid for the Belle UHD.

I remember getting into LD at what turned out to be the tail end of this formats popularity with film enthusiasts, and I did pay around $100 for the Criterion CAV LD of Hard Boiled, the same for the Aliens CAV set (no regrets on both purchases), and at least 1 $100+ purchase that I would not do over again, and that was for an at the time OOP LD of Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast. I still wince when I think of how little I re-sold it for quite a few years later, lol.

I believe that I bought most of my LDs at Tower Records on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks, or Dave's Video in Studio City, which I came to realize was one of the "cool" places to buy LD discs, and that quite a few film and TV stars would occasionally go to Dave's Video to do some movie shopping.

Both stores are missed, especially Tower Records which was so easy to get to by simply taking the RTD line that went up Van Nuys Blvd. I did not have a license for many years, until I was in my early 30s, and Bus travel sucked, and still kind-of does suck in L.A. to this very day, but getting to do some shopping on Ventura Blvd without a car was cool.

DJariya 11-18-22 02:59 PM

Huh? Then I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread then, if you're saying $30 is the wrong answer.

bunkaroo 11-18-22 03:13 PM

Paid about $60 shipped for this - well worth getting the theatrical cut in HD.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ef9ed858a.jpeg

TheBang 11-18-22 11:02 PM

I found my emails to confirm that I paid $358 for the THX Ultimate Demo DVD from
Germany in 2002. There was some information at the time that indicated that it might have been limited to 1000 copies, but I think that is probably false as it has been pretty readily available since then for under $100. Definitely my biggest home video purchase mistake.

Josh Z 11-19-22 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14193273)
Huh? Then I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread then, if you're saying $30 is the wrong answer.

Perhaps the o/p actually had a different idea, but it just seemed to me that the point was to talk about times you've spent a lot of money on a single title, not just typical MSRP for an average disc.

Neil M. 11-19-22 12:01 PM

I know I've paid close to 200 for some oop titles but I really can't remember which ones. It's probably better that I don't try to figure it out.

asianxcore 11-19-22 03:25 PM

A little over $50 for the Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K LE (4-Disc)

If we were talking about DVDs, $100 is the highest I've ever paid for a single film.

Hubbub 11-21-22 06:28 AM

Bunkaroo--How is the transfer to Blu-ray on the theatrical release of The Warriors? Also, please confirm that it's Region A coding. Thanks.

bunkaroo 11-22-22 12:21 AM

Looked good to me on my OLED. It’s region free.