Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just realized, in my recent purchase of Criterion's Citizen Kane, that $47.52 Canadian is the most I have paid for a single film besting the Lawrence of Arabia steelbook by about four bucks.
Prior to these two this year? I am thinking nothing got that close for one movie since the Lord of the Rings Extended releases back in the DVD days.

So, when it comes to the package only including one film, what's the most you've paid for a single flick?
Old 11-16-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
re: What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

Mine is the Ultra HD release of Fanny Lye Deliver'd, which came to $57.24 (USD). I don't regret it.

The only other single-movie-releases I've paid $50+ for are The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (UHD; Arte Originale) for $51.99 and Shoah (Criterion) for $51.39. Though there are a bunch just shy of the $50 mark, such as Thriller: A Cruel Picture (UHD; limited edition), Tombs of the Blind Dead (LE), Opera (LE), and Suspiria (40th anniversary edition).
Old 11-16-22, 02:10 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Probably that Dawn of the Dead UHD set.

The A24 Midsommar UHD was pretty pricey too.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

In recent memory, I paid $34 for the Japanese Blu-ray release of "Extreme Prejudice" because by 2018 I figured it would never get released in North America. Of course it finally did.

When adjusted for inflation my $35 used VHS copy of The Road Warrior in 1984 was probably the most expensive. I really had to stretch my $5/week allowance at the age of eleven for that one!
Old 11-16-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Probably that Dawn of the Dead UHD set.
Wait! That's my answer too. For some reason, I never added that to my home media database. $116.58 shipped: that's the most expensive single movie title and the fifth most I've ever spent on anything, box sets included.
John Pannozzi (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 02:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I think I paid nearly $100 for the UHD of Your Name.
And that only includes one version of the movie, unlike DOTD.
PhantomStranger (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Back in the day I think I paid about $43 for the 3-disc Brotherhood of the Wolf DVD set.

Watched it once.
Old 11-16-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

For modern formats, I’d say the Second Sight Dawn Of The Dead Set. The Imprint Warriors set wasn’t cheap either.
In the past I paid a lot for oop Criterion’s. I know I paid close to $100 each for the Killer & Hard Boiled.
Old 11-16-22, 03:46 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I think I paid a little over $100 for several of those big Blu Ray gift sets back in the day....Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, Etc.

I'm pretty sure I've paid in the $75-100 for some OOP movies on various formats, but can't remember which ones.

I've paid around $50 for a few VHS tapes of some 80s movies that will never see the light of day on any digital format.
Old 11-16-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I bought the Little Drummer Girl 4K set from Plain Archive (South Korea). Not the giant box but regular. With the $30 express shipping option it was $130 or something like that. That might be the most I've ever spent on a 4K disc set.

Old 11-16-22, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Back in the Laserdisc days, it was pretty common to pay $100 or more for a CAV box set, especially those from Criterion or Disney.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh Z:
rexinnih (11-17-22), sparks (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Dawn of the Dead UHD? Maybe? I've paid hundreds for certain anime box sets from Japan but those are entire seasons.

I've been hunting for Twilight Time's out-of-print The Egyptian BD but it's ridiculously expensive on the secondary market. Copies mostly trade in the $150 and above range.
Old 11-16-22, 06:06 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

The import of the 4K UHD Collector’s Edition of Belle I recently purchased is one of my pricier buys for a 1 movie box set, probably a bit close to $80 USD with shipping, but no regrets. It does include the soundtrack cd which can sell for up to $27+ on its own.

Old 11-16-22, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

The Vinegar Syndrome release of Flesh for Frankenstein-4k is $52.99 so I'll go with that for my answer.
Old 11-16-22, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Back in the Laserdisc days, it was pretty common to pay $100 or more for a CAV box set, especially those from Criterion or Disney.
Never had a big LD collection for that very reason. However, I did foolishly spend well over $400 – which I really didn't have – to 'import' (from an early online Godzilla seller in US) the already-imported Japanese CAV laserdisc boxed set of GAMERA II: LEGION back in the mid-90's or so. Only the first film had been released on VHS over here. A friend found a really grainy multi-gen bootleg VHS of Part 2 somewhere, and we both though it was the best giant monster movie up to that point (still ranks up there). But I really wanted to see it properly. Not unlike today's over-designed Blu-ray limited editions, the GAMERA box was beautifully produced. It's the only LD I still own simply because I spent too much to part with it for, what, ten bucks now? It's kinda like a lesson that I can stumble across while looking through storage totes from time to time. It was almost painful years later to pick up the Mill Creek GAMERA TRILOGY that had all three films plus all the extras from the LD box for about ten bucks.

Also bought a big STAR WARS doorstopper laserdisc box back in the day for $250 US. Insane. Can't remember if it was the first film or all three but it weighted a ton. Sold that and the rest of my small LD collection in the early days of DVD because I knew their collectability would eventually dry up. Thankfully many of them were still highly sought after at that point because they weren't on DVD yet, so I made a good chunk of my investment back. But GAMERA, man . . . Now I'm lucky if I spend more than $20 for anything, and usually far less by waiting.
John Pannozzi (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

$200 for "Memories of Videodisc", the very last CED made before the pressing plant was shut down for good, given to employees afterwards.

Think I paid about $50 for the Sparks at the London Forum DVD, which was an import and already out of print when I found out it existed. Had to track down a sealed copy which cost me extra, but no regrets.

Have far more DVDs and Blu-Rays (and a few laserdiscs) that I got cheap and now go for several times more on Ebay.
Old 11-16-22, 08:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Criterion collection laserdisc of Blade Runner.

It was over $60 in the early-mid 1990s.
Old 11-16-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

$40 plus shipping on dogma on blu-ray a couple years ago. Due to ownership issues i figured it might never be rereleased.
Old 11-16-22, 09:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$150 for the box set of THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW with table top book and gold CD. Made a killing on selling that so many years ago. Today, $50 + for INVADERS FROM MARS. Those suckers better mail out our discs we paid for.
Old 11-17-22, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sparks
Today, $50 + for INVADERS FROM MARS. Those suckers better mail out our discs we paid for.
Wow. I forgot I ordered one of those! I think I got so used to the 'delayed' emails I just stopped reading them. Although mine came to a little less at $48 US, so I'm assuming that's the difference between the 4K and Blu-ray editions (?). Another exception to my 'under-$20' rule , but one I was happy to make considering how spectacular it looks in the trailers they've released so far. Surprised this one hasn't had a thread started around here.
Old 11-17-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Also bought a big STAR WARS doorstopper laserdisc box back in the day for $250 US. Insane. Can't remember if it was the first film or all three but it weighted a ton.
Sounds like the Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Collection.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/05091...ive-Collection
John Pannozzi (12-01-22)
Old 11-17-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I think I paid about $100 on eBay for the Third Man Criterion blu. Other than that, I can't think of anything I paid more than $40ish for.
​​​​​​
Old 11-17-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Sounds like the Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Collection.
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/05091...ive-Collection
That's the one. Guess it was the full Trilogy after all. I've never been the biggest Star Wars fan, but I enjoy them, and that set, at that time, probably represented the pinnacle of LaserDisc presentations in terms of packaging design, supplements, etc. I recall selling it for considerably more than I paid because the movies had yet to be released on DVD. Just searched it on eBay. There's quite a few up for sale, but the prices seem like wishful thinking. The only auction at the moment has reached about $34. I can't imagine why anybody would want it? The movies looked great for the era, and I certainly realize they were the unsullied original versions, but they were all non-anamorphic, and I'm sure most of the supplements were ported over to DVD editions, some with pretty decent packaging of their own (if that's your thing). Still, as much as I loved LDs in terms of seeing movies closer to the way they were meant to be seen, I'm glad I unloaded the collection when I did. Actually, I recall selling off many of my VHS tapes at a small profit (or break-even) in those early days of DVD as well. It's amazing how many people thought it would be a fad, or that certain movies would just never be released on the format. And here we are.
Old 11-17-22, 10:59 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

Mine is either the Mondo Vision blu-ray of Possession or the A24 big book for the Midsommar director's cut. At least the packaging on both is nice.
Old 11-17-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

$130 (incl. overseas s&h) for The Prestige 4k Manta Labs Full Slip.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.