Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Better Robocop UHD Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Old 01-01-22, 06:26 PM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
The Better Robocop UHD Thread

I think this forum can do a much better Robocop UHD thread than....some other place. You really should see the mess of that thread at....some other place.

Back when Arrow announced their HD release of Robocop, I was one of the doubters. The typical how is this presentation going to be any better than the MGM disc?
But, ok. I'll buy it.

If only because the LE box looked sooooo cool.

Of course that all changed after seeing the presentation. My reaction? Well I be dipped in shit and rolled in bread crumbs.

The video encoding, dialing those colours (colors if you like) in. Forgive me daddy Arrow for doubting you.

The Robocop 4K master in my opinion is one of the greatest 4K masters ever produced. And, in the right hands, just keeps on giving.

Now it has an HDR (DV) pass, this should put the finishing touches on that 4K master.

March can't come sooner.

Last edited by Gman86; 01-01-22 at 06:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gman86:
Adam Tyner (01-01-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22)
Old 01-01-22, 07:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,467
Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Now that I have a 4k tv I hope to buy a 4k bluray player sometime in the next few months. I love the Arrow LE bluray set but I don't think I'd see myself buying the 4k disc. I've bought Robocop enough times already.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 01-01-22 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 08:08 PM
  #3  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Now that I have a 4k tv I hope to buy a 4k bluray player sometime in the next few months. I love thr Arrow LE bluray set but I don't think I'd see myself buying the 4k disc. I've bought Robocop enough times already.
What TV? A good Dolby Vision lead HDR TV can make for a very impressive upgrade from HD Blu to UHD.
Old 01-01-22, 08:23 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,467
Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

I have the Sony X85J and it's 43". It's compatible with HDR and Dolby Vision.
Old 01-01-22, 09:19 PM
  #5  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I have the Sony X85J and it's 43". It's compatible with HDR and Dolby Vision.
The problem with HDR is that still only premium end TVs are capable of displaying HDR content correctly. Is this a problem?

I guess it depends upon how much of a pixel peeper someone is. It's not like a mid range TV can't display HDR content.

Just in most cause it's less accurate, but you'll have extremes like Goodfellas. Which i don't think mid range TVs are capable of displaying to a standard that's satisfactory for any viewer.

A mid range TVs inability to produce higher levels of brightness means darker HDR grades suffer. Or something like that. HDR is very complicated. Far from an automatic process of sticking an HDMI cable into the back of TV, and everything works.

Dolby Vision is more automatic, sort of. HDR 10 though is not dynmatic metadata, it's static. So it needs tone mapped for the content to display correctly. Or you will end white skies, luminance and chromatic noise.

This is why i always recommend people go with a Panasonic player. The UB820 in most cases will do just fine as it has Panasonics HDR optimizer. Set it to mid range LED, and it will automatically tone map any HDR 10 signal it sends out to the TV.

I'm probably not doing a very good job selling UHD Blu-ray. But I'd rather be honest with people what they are getting themselfs in for.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22)
Old 01-01-22, 10:10 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,558
Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Gman86 View Post
Back when Arrow announced their HD release of Robocop, I was one of the doubters. The typical how is this presentation going to be any better than the MGM disc?
But, ok. I'll buy it.

If only because the LE box looked sooooo cool.

Of course that all changed after seeing the presentation. My reaction? Well I be dipped in shit and rolled in bread crumbs.

The video encoding, dialing those colours (colors if you like) in. Forgive me daddy Arrow for doubting you.
Were you comparing the Arrow Blu-ray to the older MGM (via Fox) Blu-ray from 2007? In that case, OK, I can see you noticing a big difference. But the Arrow disc uses the same master as the remastered MGM Blu-ray from 2014. It is marginally (and I mean incredibly slightly) brighter, as if the Brightness setting were ticked up one notch on the dial - which actually makes the contrast look slightly flatter. But the difference is very, very small, and the colors haven't been changed except to the extent that the extra brightness sometimes washes them out a little.
Old 01-01-22, 10:35 PM
  #7  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Were you comparing the Arrow Blu-ray to the older MGM (via Fox) Blu-ray from 2007? In that case, OK, I can see you noticing a big difference. But the Arrow disc uses the same master as the remastered MGM Blu-ray from 2014. It is marginally (and I mean incredibly slightly) brighter, as if the Brightness setting were ticked up one notch on the dial - which actually makes the contrast look slightly flatter. But the difference is very, very small, and the colors haven't been changed except to the extent that the extra brightness sometimes washes them out a little.
We aren't debating that the video encoding is much better though, yes?

With colours i'm more specifically referring to flesh tones. Which seem far more nuanced vs the 2014 MGM disc.

Also if anyone starts to get annoyed with the British spelling of colour/colours. I'll switch to American standard lol.
Old 01-02-22, 09:04 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,467
Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Gman86 View Post
The problem with HDR is that still only premium end TVs are capable of displaying HDR content correctly. Is this a problem?

I guess it depends upon how much of a pixel peeper someone is. It's not like a mid range TV can't display HDR content.

Just in most cause it's less accurate, but you'll have extremes like Goodfellas. Which i don't think mid range TVs are capable of displaying to a standard that's satisfactory for any viewer.

A mid range TVs inability to produce higher levels of brightness means darker HDR grades suffer. Or something like that. HDR is very complicated. Far from an automatic process of sticking an HDMI cable into the back of TV, and everything works.

Dolby Vision is more automatic, sort of. HDR 10 though is not dynmatic metadata, it's static. So it needs tone mapped for the content to display correctly. Or you will end white skies, luminance and chromatic noise.

This is why i always recommend people go with a Panasonic player. The UB820 in most cases will do just fine as it has Panasonics HDR optimizer. Set it to mid range LED, and it will automatically tone map any HDR 10 signal it sends out to the TV.

I'm probably not doing a very good job selling UHD Blu-ray. But I'd rather be honest with people what they are getting themselfs in for.
Yes I would consider my tv to be a midrange model but Iím very happy with it. Iíve watched a few UHD movies through Vudu and my favorite would probably be Backdraft. Itís the best the movie has ever looked and the colors from the fire looks as if you are right there in the movie.
Old 01-02-22, 11:39 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,558
Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Gman86 View Post
We aren't debating that the video encoding is much better though, yes?
What is it you're attributing to video encoding?

With colours i'm more specifically referring to flesh tones. Which seem far more nuanced vs the 2014 MGM disc.
Put in the 2014 MGM disc. Bump the Brightness setting on your TV up one or two digits. Voila, it will look just like the Arrow disc!
Old 01-02-22, 12:50 PM
  #10  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
What is it you're attributing to video encoding?
I found it to be far less compressed vs the MGM release. This might not be typical of most viewing experiences. As I watched it on 65" OLED.
Old 01-02-22, 02:05 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,612
Likes: 0
Received 518 Likes on 363 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
What is it you're attributing to video encoding?



Put in the 2014 MGM disc. Bump the Brightness setting on your TV up one or two digits. Voila, it will look just like the Arrow disc!
If the caps a holic screenshots are to be believed, then there are some not insignificant differences. The compression is indeed much better on the Arrow, and some shots on the MGM are zoomed in compared to the Arrow. Whether or not those differences are noticable under actual viewing conditions, ymmv.

*Edit* scratch that, I was looking at the wrong one. I thought I owned the remastered disc from MGM, but I guess not. The Arrow definitely has better compression, but it's probably not that noticeable in motion.

Last edited by rocket1312; 01-02-22 at 06:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Gman86 (01-02-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), Josh Z (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 04:31 PM
  #12  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Well at least this isn't a Robocop thread that's devolved into moral outrage about parents letting their kids watch it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gman86:
Bluelitespecial (01-02-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), Josh Z (01-03-22)
Old 01-11-22, 07:01 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 18,350
Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

I hope the $59 price at Amazon is not the regular price and the steelbook is $49
Old 01-12-22, 07:33 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Larryville, GA
Posts: 2,194
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I hope the $59 price at Amazon is not the regular price and the steelbook is $49
DiabolikDVD has both versions for $38.99+$5 shipping.
Old 01-20-22, 07:20 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,025
Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The Better Robocop UHD Thread

$34.99 - Robocop 4K Steelbook:
Amazon Amazon

$42.99 - Robocop 4K Limited Edition:
Amazon Amazon

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.