Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts
re: The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Totally forgot about this. Oh well I’m sure I would have missed out on Martial Law and Amityville anyway.
Old 01-01-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Why doesn't this thread just get renamed to the Vinegar Syndrome discussion thread or something similar to that. It's turned into a place where we post about all the Vinegar Syndrome releases

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 01-09-22 at 05:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22)
Old 01-01-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

^ Done!

I got in my preorder for the new Forgotten Giallo collection.
Bluelitespecial (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Totally forgot about this. Oh well I’m sure I would have missed out on Martial Law and Amityville anyway.
The Amityville Box Set probably sold out the quickest. I believe Martial Law 1/2 went within 5-6 minutes (both editions offered).

I'm so happy I managed to get Champagne & Bullets as well as L.A. Wars, as I didn't want to pay the absurd scalper prices on Ebay.
Old 01-01-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can buy LA Wars off of Amazon Prime for $2.99.
Old 01-07-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm finally getting around to watching Champagne and Bullets after purchasing it months ago. One of the biggest unintentional pieces of shit I have ever witnessed. The terrible music mixed with the bad acting would be tough to be top.
Old 01-09-22, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm finally getting around to watching Champagne and Bullets after purchasing it months ago. One of the biggest unintentional pieces of shit I have ever witnessed. The terrible music mixed with the bad acting would be tough to be top.
Try watching Don't Go into the Woods. VS put it out on blu-ray but I watched it on Tubi TV and it's not just bad. It's painful to sit through kind of bad.
Old 01-09-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Can you give a little bit more of a review? This was one I missed out on and was so close to buying. But it seems for every 10 VS releases, there are 9 turds and one diamond in the toilet. The trailer for Champagne looked so awesome but I have been burned by that so many times that I eventually passed on it. L.A. Wars was pretty disappointing as a whole despite some awesome trailers. I also feel the same about the Rudy Ray Moore stuff and many others. You see all the great stuff in the trailers but watching them as a whole just feels like a severe waste of time (for me...just my opinion).
Old 01-09-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
You see all the great stuff in the trailers but watching them as a whole just feels like a severe waste of time (for me...just my opinion).
I forget: have you seen Action USA? (If you missed out on the VSA release, MVD put out their own edition.) That’s a case where I felt like the entire movie lived up to the trailer.
Brian T (01-14-22)
Old 01-09-22, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Can you give a little bit more of a review? This was one I missed out on and was so close to buying. But it seems for every 10 VS releases, there are 9 turds and one diamond in the toilet. The trailer for Champagne looked so awesome but I have been burned by that so many times that I eventually passed on it. L.A. Wars was pretty disappointing as a whole despite some awesome trailers. I also feel the same about the Rudy Ray Moore stuff and many others. You see all the great stuff in the trailers but watching them as a whole just feels like a severe waste of time (for me...just my opinion).
Well, it is basically a vanity project for a guy that paid for, directed and starred in his own movie. He can't act, his singing in worse than cringeworthy, and the script is a steamer. However, if you like movies that are terribly made and don't mind overacting or adlibbing lines that make no sense, then this might be for you. I have a friend that enjoys b-movies or worse and suggested this one to him. He said that he had already seen it and loved it. It's hard to know where you might fall in this.
Spiderbite (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I forget: have you seen Action USA? (If you missed out on the VSA release, MVD put out their own edition.) That’s a case where I felt like the entire movie lived up to the trailer.
Cool. I will check it out. Never saw or heard of it that I can remember.
Old 01-10-22, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Well, I like the Rudy Ray Moore movies (haven't seen them all though), but yeah, in general I can't do the action movies with D-level acting. VS talked themselves right out of a sale by including a clip of Alley Cat on their website.
Old 01-10-22, 03:14 PM

I really liked Champagne and Bullets. It’s by no means a good film, but I had a great time watching it.
Don’t Go In The Woods was definitely a bad purchase. I don’t see myself watching that again.
I’ve watched LA Wars a few times since I picked it up, but that movie was definitely not representative of the trailer.
Old 01-23-22, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The sheer amount of songs from John De Hart (and their awkward placement in scenes) had me bursting at my sides

With that said, I just finished the film and agree that the film is not good.

I will say however, that I continued to stick with it to see what other random shit might happen throughout the film's run-time.
Old 01-23-22, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I really liked Champagne and Bullets. It’s by no means a good film, but I had a great time watching it.
Don’t Go In The Woods was definitely a bad purchase. I don’t see myself watching that again.
I’ve watched LA Wars a few times since I picked it up, but that movie was definitely not representative of the trailer.
Can't speak to the other two, but Don't Go In the Woods was terrible. Not laughably terrible, just bad all around.

BTW, in case you haven't already, check out Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst episode featuring Champagne and Bullets (aka Geteven) as one of the films they watched. I believe LA Wars was featured on an episode as well.
Toddarino (01-24-22)
Old 01-27-22, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I know this probably isn't the best thread for this but thought I'd give it a shot. I've been backing up my physical collection and have run into issues with a couple of Vinegar Syndrome titles: The Human Tornado and Graduation Day. I've watched both of them before, so I'm not sure if this might be like a disc rot issue or similar. I purchased them through the VS website a while back. I was considering sending an email to VS to inquire about it, though I'm not sure if it would do any good. Anyone else have any issues with VS discs?
Old 01-27-22, 09:42 AM

I have Graduation Day. I can try to remember to pop it in tonight and see if it plays ok.
Old 01-27-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I haven't tried playing it recently, but giving Graduation Day a quick look, I don't see any bronzing on the disc itself.
Old 01-27-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The forum rules prohibit talking about ripping discs:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/misc.php?do=showrules

So all that can be discussed is normal playback of a disc. That said, different players can have different reactions to the same disc, so a disc that plays fine in one player may not play in another. Blu-ray is a spec, and each player can implement it slightly differently, as well as there being potential differences in the authoring and pressing of discs.
Old 01-27-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

My “Christmas Evil” disc gone bad, it was unplayable towards the end...fired a email to VS but never heard back, this was a couple years ago.
Old 01-27-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The forum rules prohibit talking about ripping discs:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/misc.php?do=showrules
Does that mean the entire Plex thread needs to basically be removed? For being against the rules, talk about it is pretty rampant. Zyzzle gave detailed instructions on how to do it in Other.

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
My “Christmas Evil” disc gone bad, it was unplayable towards the end...fired a email to VS but never heard back, this was a couple years ago.
That's kind of what I figured.
Old 01-27-22, 01:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Does that mean the entire Plex thread needs to basically be removed? For being against the rules, talk about it is pretty rampant. Zyzzle gave detailed instructions on how to do it in Other.
It's funny because I recently saw another ad, on this site, for disc ripping software. They can advertise it, but we can't talk about it.

Anyway... I watched Dead Heat last night. Ridiculous movie. Looks great in 4K. Some truly awesome gore. 8/10. Will watch again.
John Pannozzi (02-01-22)
Old 01-27-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I know this probably isn't the best thread for this but thought I'd give it a shot. I've been backing up my physical collection and have run into issues with a couple of Vinegar Syndrome titles: The Human Tornado and Graduation Day. I've watched both of them before, so I'm not sure if this might be like a disc rot issue or similar. I purchased them through the VS website a while back. I was considering sending an email to VS to inquire about it, though I'm not sure if it would do any good. Anyone else have any issues with VS discs?
I recently watched my copy of Human Tornado that I have had for several years and had no issues with it.

When in doubt, boil it. It seriously works.
clckworang (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dan
Anyway... I watched Dead Heat last night. Ridiculous movie. Looks great in 4K. Some truly awesome gore. 8/10. Will watch again.
I didn't think much of the movie when I saw it back in the Anchor Bay DVD days, but it sounds like Dead Heat is one I need to revisit.
Old 01-27-22, 05:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I mean it's not great by any means, but it knows exactly what it is. I had a good time watching it. Some very nice looking 80s ladies, too.

I got my Flesh For Frankenstein replacement disc. It definitely looks a lot better. I can do some screenshots if anyone cares, but I'm sure someone's already done that elsewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.