Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney ending live action catalog 4K Physical Media???

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney ending live action catalog 4K Physical Media???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 858 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Disney ending live action catalog 4K Physical Media???

I'm just surprised his website is still around. I mean, how many people are actually sourcing disc news in 2020? His site traffic must be a small fraction of what it was 20 years ago... or even 10 years ago. But, yeah - his tirade/bias during the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war was a total turnoff and I never went back to his site. He came off like a total dick.
Old 08-16-20, 11:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Nahh, its part of history. He showed extreme
bias and essentially took a bribe.
You still even commenting on it is a testament you can’t let it go. Whether or not of Hunt’s input way back then, blu would have still prevailed. It didn’t hinge on him. But hey, hurt is hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
bunkaroo (08-16-20), John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-16-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Nahh, its part of history. He showed extreme
bias and essentially took a bribe.
And nearly 14 years later you’re still sore. Comical.

I don’t think DigitalBits is very relevant at all and I don’t think they were swaying a bunch of people back then either. I don’t think he’s nearly as important as he might think himself or others make him out to be.

I’m also a little confused as to why he was supposed to be impartial. He had his preference and stumped for his preference. He’s glad Blu-ray won out and so am I.

The actual real press in this country haven’t been impartial and unbiased for quite some time. Not sure why Bill Hunt is the devil because he picked a side in a format war.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-16-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,784 Likes on 1,916 Posts

1. I'm surprised TheDigitalBits is still around. Seems like its primary purpose -- announcing upcoming titles, news, reviews -- is now being served up on social media. And, on top of that, they way the market has contracted, there's not much to announce these days. TDB used to be a daily stop for me, but I don't think I've been to the site in eight or nine years.

2. Considering the way HD-DVDs are rotting, I think we dodged a bullet with that format.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
bunkaroo (08-17-20), John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-17-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I follow him on Facebook, and I still find out about titles from there because the traffic here isn't as strong as it used to be.

I don't get the hate for him, he's always been clear to say which are rumors and which are actual announcements.
Old 08-17-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
And nearly 14 years later you’re still sore. Comical.
As someone who still receives abuse from Blu-ray fanboys for having been product neutral during the HD format war, I can assure you that the "winners" of that war are far more butthurt, petty, and hold grudges far longer than the "losers."

I’m also a little confused as to why he was supposed to be impartial. He had his preference and stumped for his preference. He’s glad Blu-ray won out and so am I.
This really doesn't need to be re-litigated now, so I'll just point you to an old thread on this forum that explained why his actions were a clear conflict of interest.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/50...s-blu-ray.html
wakwak007 (10-21-20)
Old 08-17-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
As someone who still receives abuse from Blu-ray fanboys for having been product neutral during the HD format war, I can assure you that the "winners" of that war are far more butthurt, petty, and hold grudges far longer than the "losers."

This really doesn't need to be re-litigated now, so I'll just point you to an old thread on this forum that explained why his actions were a clear conflict of interest.

I won't debate that at all - he wasn't impartial. But he owned his site and pushed his opinion. I don't recall if he claimed to be impartial and acted otherwise. If so, that makes him untrustworthy to say the least, and he exposed himself as a likely shill. But what should the penalty have been? No one could take his site from him for not being a respectable blogger. Pull ad dollars? Perhaps, but I doubt that would have shut him down since he was already allegedly getting benefits from the BDA.

From what I can tell many people didn't like him, and his backing Blu-ray made him more unlikable. But so what? Does anyone here really think he had a significant impact on the outcome of the format war?

PS: Thanks for the walk down memory lane with that link - exciting times!
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-18-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

It's sad reading back through that thread and realizing how commonplace this type of shit is on the internet now ("sponsored" bloggers, influencers hawking products, etc), and it's almost an accepted practice now.
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-19-20, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
It's sad reading back through that thread and realizing how commonplace this type of shit is on the internet now ("sponsored" bloggers, influencers hawking products, etc), and it's almost an accepted practice now.
Wow....you’re right. even the word “payola” - I basically forgot that word existed and yet that concept is so commonplace now.
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-19-20, 07:59 AM

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know a few people here aren't too keen on his alleged insider information.
Insider information is only good if it can be independently verified. (ie. Such as the research Woodward & Bernstein had to do to vet the insider information disclosed by "deep throat").

Especially to determine whether something is deliberate disinformation or "counter intelligence".

John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-19-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 338 Likes on 257 Posts

What's wrong with taking a side in a format war, especially favoring the one that actually was better?
Old 08-19-20, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What you say is true. However, one difference is that those sponsored bloggers have to disclose that they are paid for their endorsements. Sadly, the media culture we're in now has deteriorated so badly that most of their readers/viewers simply don't care.

My kids sometimes watch crap on YouTube in which child influencers unbox and "review" toys. Those videos usually end with a voiceover in a gleeful tone stating, "[Company name] paid me and helped me create this video. Thanks, [company name]!" Like it's a point of pride they got paid to shill the product.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What's wrong with taking a side in a format war, especially favoring the one that actually was better?
Again, see that thread linked above.

Last edited by Josh Z; 08-20-20 at 11:33 AM.
John Pannozzi (08-24-20)
Old 08-20-20, 10:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

at least they're disclosing that stuff now. Yeah, it's still shitty/lame how some of them skirt around the fact that some of their videos are sponsored, but at least it's there for those who are paying attention. At the very least, I think the sponsorship needs to be mentioned in the first 30 seconds, and not at the very end. But otherwise, pick your battles, I say.

On topic... I still think it sucks that Disney is being very conservative with their catalog releases, as I think this kind of thing could negatively affect everyone else releasing on the format. Less Disney/Fox titles on the shelves (ha! shelves... remember those?) means less exposure for the other titles. Same for online browsing.
Could be 4K disc has no future, not even as a niche, much like 3D BD. At least I can still back up the ones I have with my UHD-friendly optical drive.
John Pannozzi (08-24-20)
Old 08-20-20, 11:45 AM

What you say is true. However, one difference is that those sponsored bloggers have to disclose that they are paid for their endorsements. Sadly, the media culture we're in now has deteriorated so badly that most of their readers/viewers simply don't care.

My kids sometimes watch crap on YouTube in which child influencers unbox and "review" toys. Those videos usually end with a voiceover in a gleeful tone stating, "[Company name] paid me and helped me create this video. Thanks, [company name]!" Like it's a point of pride they got paid to shill the product.
That's what I meant by it's an accepted practice. I have a few Gen Zers in my professional network and I bring up things like that (and click bait media titles), and their response is just "so what?". They don't even remember a time when things like that were impartial, so they don't see any problem with people taking bribes to hawk shitty products.
Old 08-20-20, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Could be 4K disc has no future, not even as a niche, much like 3D BD. At least I can still back up the ones I have with my UHD-friendly optical drive.
I think UHD will be the last physical format, but I don't see it having no future. 3D declined because there is no hardware left to buy. I don't see studios putting a large investment into UHD due to the cost and hassle of producing and shipping inventory, dealing with a supply chain, just to satisfy the handful of us who still care about having the best A/V quality. I just hope they maintain and in some cases increase their willingness to license out the rights to the smaller companies where the investment and risk/reward makes more sense.
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-20-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I meant by it's an accepted practice. I have a few Gen Zers in my professional network and I bring up things like that (and click bait media titles), and their response is just "so what?". They don't even remember a time when things like that were impartial, so they don't see any problem with people taking bribes to hawk shitty products.
Just because people are willing to overlook the problem at this moment in time doesn't make it right or accepable. Eventually, there will be another shift in our media culture and people will start to reject things they condone now.
Old 08-20-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

I recall Roger Ebert wrote an essay about his experience with studios attempting to wine-and-dine him in order to sway his opinion of a film. Apparently he never accepted any studio invitations to premieres and only went to special press screenings with other members of the press or simply bought a ticket at the box office like everyone else.

You would always see glowing reviews of crappy films with quotable zingers in the advertisements from certain members of the "press" that you know took the payola.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-20-20 at 02:57 PM.
John Pannozzi (08-24-20)
Old 08-20-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,784 Likes on 1,916 Posts

If Roger Ebert won't give shitty movies good reviews, David Manning will!
Old 08-20-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I recall Roger Ebert wrote an essay about his experience with studios attempting to wine-and-dine him in order to sway his opinion of a film. Apparently he never accepted any studio invitations to premieres and only went to special press screenings with other members of the press or simply bought a ticket at the box office like everyone else.

You would always see glowing reviews of crappy films with quotable zingers in the advertisements from certain members of the "press" that you know took the payola.
These days you can just cut and paste the one guy on twitter who liked your movie and put it on your poster (heck, it could very well be a fake account, who would know?). It's completely ridiculous to me that it's come to that, though.
Old 08-20-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Yeah those unboxing videos and toy vids directed at kids are nothing more than paid commercials. Kinda disappointing that so many kids are hooked on them. I'm sure when they all start out they're "legit" since they're paying for said toys, but once the company is sending you shit weekly to review, you're just a glorious infomercial host.
John Pannozzi (08-24-20)
Old 08-20-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah those unboxing videos and toy vids directed at kids are nothing more than paid commercials. Kinda disappointing that so many kids are hooked on them. I'm sure when they all start out they're "legit" since they're paying for said toys, but once the company is sending you shit weekly to review, you're just a glorious infomercial host.
I don't think anyone required too much foresight to realize the internet would evolve into free speech run amok with no rules or regulations.
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 599 Posts

Strange since Disney never has any of their physicasl media on sale and they charger higher prices compared to the other studios.

Will they still release the signature edition blu-rays? I know most of them or none got 4k releases.

I think Jungle Book and Fantasia are still on the list for signature releases and so far no release dates
Old 08-31-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Strange since Disney never has any of their physicasl media on sale and they charger higher prices compared to the other studios.
I think this has always been by design to give their customers the sense their products are *premium* products. If Disney had an over-run of a product they would rather shred them and throw them away than markdown the discs and de-value their brand.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-31-20 at 05:27 PM.
John Pannozzi (08-31-20)
Old 10-12-20, 07:26 PM

Anyone listen in on their earnings call today to see if they mentioned their plans for physical media?
Old 02-02-21, 11:58 AM

Received 4,637 Likes on 3,139 Posts

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release two back catalog titles formerly from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for the first time in 4K on Ultra HD Blu-ray in May 2021. Michael Mann's action thriller "Heat" (USA 1995), starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Val Kilmer, and Jan De Bot's action thriller "Speed" (USA 1994) with Keanu will be released on May 27, 2021 Reeves and Sandra Bullock, each in 4K resolution. "Heat" will be available in the "Director's Definitive Edition" . Both titles appear in 2-disc sets including UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray.

You can see the German pre-orders below:

Speed: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...=138&subid=nb1

Heat: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...num/10423587/?
Adam Tyner (02-02-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.