Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

Definitely want to pick up that Jodorowsky Box Set!

I only have the old Anchor Bay DVD Box Set of Jodorowsky's films.
Old 12-20-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Dammit Arrow. More money gone! This set appears to be Region B, and I'm happily compatible with that. Kinda wish it was region-free, though, since it's probably inevitable now that one of the U.S. boutiques might top it (unless Arrow's turns out to be region-free, of course). I hovered over the previous U.S. Blu-ray set (and the separate releases) for so long it went OOP and up in price, but this looks like it will handily trump that set with plenty of new supplements.

I see Arrow has a listing up for a deluxe edition of BEYOND THE DOOR as well:
Legendary filmmaker Ovidio G. Assonitis, whose Tentacles and Piranha II sought to cash in on the killer fish craze spawned by Jaws, first hit pay dirt in 1974 with Beyond the Door - a gloriously bonkers riff on The Exorcist featuring Emmy Award-winning actress Juliet Mills and distinguished British actor Richard Johnson.

Set against the backdrop of San Francisco, Beyond the Door stars Mills as Jessica Barrett, a young mother who starts to develop strange behaviors whilst pregnant with her third child. Before you can say “split pea soup”, Jessica is displaying signs of full-blown demonic possession - complete with projectile vomiting and fully-rotating head! Could it be that she’s carrying the child of the Antichrist himself?

Described as “disgusting”, “scary trash” and “maddeningly inappropriate” by film critic Robert Ebert and subject to a lawsuit by Warner Bros. (who claimed copyright infringement against a certain William Friedkin film), the devilish denizens at Arrow Video have summoned up this wickedly entertaining popcorn spiller in a brand new, extras-packed edition fit for Satan himself!

LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTENTS
  • Limited to 3,000 units
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the extended Uncut English Export Version
  • Exclusive bonus disc containing the alternate US Theatrical Version and Italy Possessed, a brand-new feature-length documentary on Italian exorcism movies!
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach
  • Reversible fold-out poster
  • Perfect-bound collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by John Martin and Alessio di Rocco
DISC ONE - UNCUT ENGLISH EXPORT VERSION
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the Uncut English Export Version, released as Devil Within Her (108 mins)
  • High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • The Devil and I – a newly-filmed interview with director/producer Ovidio G. Assonitis
  • Barrett’s Hell – a newly-filmed interview with cinematographer Roberto D'Ettorre Piazzoli
  • Beyond the Music – a newly-filmed interview with composer Franco Micalizzi
  • The Devil's Face – a newly-filmed interview with camera operator Maurizio Maggi
  • Motel and Devils – a newly-conducted audio interview with actor Gabriele Lavia
  • Alternate Italian Chi Sei? opening titles
  • Alternate Behind the Door VHS opening titles
  • Alternate Japanese Diabolica opening and ending sequence
  • Trailers, TV and Radio Spots
  • Image Gallery
DISC TWO - US THEATRICAL VERSION (LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE)
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the US Theatrical Version, released as Beyond the Door (99 mins)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Italy Possessed – a brand new feature-length documentary on the history of Italian Exorcist rip-offs, including interviews with key filmmakers such as Sergio Martino, Alberto De Martino, Pupi Avati, Marcello Avallone, Ovidio G. Assonitis and many more!

And the ONE MISSED CALL TRILOGY:

An iconic trilogy of J-horror films comes to Blu-ray for the first time! Tapping into the same brand of terror as the Ring and Grudge movies, visionary director Takashi Miike (Audition, Blade of the Immortal) presents a modern, high-tech twist on that mainstay of Japanese folklore, the yurei or vengeful spirit, in the form of its own iconic antihero – the terrifying Mimiko.In the first instalment in the trilogy, 2003’s One Missed Call, student Yoko (Anna Nagata, Battle Royale) receives a phone message from her future self, ending with her own death scream. Two days later, she dies in a horrific rail collision. As the mysterious phone curse spreads, claiming more young lives, Yoko’s friend Yumi (Ko Shibasaki, Battle Royale, 47 Ronin) joins forces with detective Hiroshi (Shinichi Tsutsumi, Space Battleship Yamato), whose sister met the same gruesome fate. But can they unravel the mystery before the clock runs out on the next victim – Yumi herself?

Mimiko’s curse continues to wreak bloody havoc in two sequels – 2005’s One Missed Call 2 and 2006’s One Missed Call: Final, in addition to spawning a TV series and an American remake. This lavish collection from Arrow Video gathers together the original trilogy – with the third instalment making its UK debut – and a swathe of in-depth bonus features for the ultimate spine-tingling experience.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentations

• Lossless Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 soundtracks

• Optional English subtitles

• New audio commentary on One Missed Call by Miike biographer Tom Mes

• The Making of One Missed Call, an hour-long archival documentary on the film’s production

• Archival interviews on One Missed Call with actors Ko Shibasaki, Shinichi Tsutsumi and Kazue Fukiishi, and director Takashi Miike

• Archival interview on One Missed Call with director Takashi Miike

• Archival footage from the One Missed Call premiere

• Live or Die TV special

• A Day with the Mizunuma Family

• One Missed Call alternate ending

• The Making of One Missed Call 2, a half-hour archival documentary on the film’s production

• Gomu, a short film by One Missed Call 2 director Renpei Tsukamoto

• One Missed Call 2 deleted scenes

• One Missed Call 2 music video

• The Making of One Missed Call: Final, an hour-long archival documentary on the film’s production

• Maki and Meisa, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette on One Missed Call: Final with actresses Maki Horikita and Meisa Kuroki

• Behind the Scenes with Keun-Suk Jang, an archival featurette with One Missed Call: Final’s South Korean star

• The Love Story, a short film tie-in for One Missed Call: Final

• Candid Mimiko, an archival location tour with the series’ iconic villain

• Theatrical trailers and TV spots

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Anton Bitel

Last edited by Brian T; 12-20-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

That Jodorowsky set is now live on Amazon UK. My total was $62.35 USD Shipped via the second 2nd shipping option.
Old 01-14-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Well I bought the Robocop LE bluray set and I must say its beautiful for anyone who decides to buy it. I'm not proud to say this is my 4th time buying Robocop on either dvd or bluray, but its worth the money. I think the Box Set is bigger than the Waterworld set. I think the picture looks slightly brighter but otherwise no different. I look forward to watching the TV cut tonight.
Old 07-07-20, 07:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I think Arrow has earned the right for its own thread. If a mod wants to close it, so be it. I won’t start another. I think it deserves its own thread for foreign and domestic releases of all Arrow’s brands.

They rival Criterion in presentation of film (albeit very different films, but def more mainstream with Arrow), extras and certainly defeat them in packaging hands down. Arrow is big and getting bigger and frankly I’m loving their packages and especially the restorations of these movies I love.

So let’s discuss, share, post new and upcoming releases. Flash Gordon anyone?here and here only. For this thread will live on, in infamy, perhaps or maybe just wiped completely. Either way it stood For Just A Moment...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-07-20 at 07:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldBoy:
Hazel Motes (07-09-20), John Pannozzi (07-09-20)
Old 07-07-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Arrow seems like as big of a label as Shout now for their releases and it does deserve its own thread. MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground seem fine grouped together.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 05:48 PM

$15.21 $15.21
at Amazon. Great f-in price.

damm, just checked and paid $30.26, $27.99 + tax. in g-darn end of April!!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-09-20 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Agree that Arrow should have its own thread. They're the 2nd largest boutique label in my collection.
John Pannozzi (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I fully endorse this thread.

John Pannozzi (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 08:51 PM

Ugh. Love the movie, but Arrow would never deal with this trash
Hazel Motes (07-10-20)
Old 07-09-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

What's the latest on the Django set? Is it getting shipped or is the freeze still in place? Was lined up to come out almost two years ago when Blue Underground sued Arrow Video at the last minute before release, claiming they still held Django's rights.

Amazon and some other retailers started shipping Arrow's Django set in late June, only for another freeze to be put in place after Blue Underground saw reports of customers receiving shipments.
Old 07-09-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What's the latest on the Django set? Is it getting shipped or is the freeze still in place? Was lined up to come out almost two years ago when Blue Underground sued Arrow Video at the last minute before release, claiming they still held Django's rights.

Amazon and some other retailers started shipping Arrow's Django set in late June, only for another freeze to be put in place after Blue Underground saw reports of customers receiving shipments.
Apparently BU put out another cease and desist order at the last minute to mess with Arrow. Who knows what the truth is, but apparently the guy that owns Blue Underground is claiming that he still owns home video rights here in the States. To be fair to him, he might be the rightful party if he has a contract with the Italian company who owns the film. We'll see if this mess ever clears up.

Speaking of Arrow, Grindhouse Video has a 50% off Arrow Films sale. The prices are good for the Region A only titles like Creepshow 2.

Picked up Creepshow 2, Day of the Jackal, and Alice, Sweet Alice.
​​​
Good until July 21.
https://grindhousevideo.com/collections/arrow-video
Old 07-10-20, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

A bunch of retailers did ship out Django. I got a copy from Amazon. They in particular seem to be ignoring the cease and desist and shipped out their allotment. I presume their allotment is run out by now as they're no longer accepting orders. I read a note on the other forum from a Canadian distributor that indicates this isn't being resolved anytime soon, for whatever that's worth.
Old 07-10-20, 08:24 PM

Thought I’d transfer some important stuff. Quoted to show thanks to poster:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

“THEY’RE NOT THERE TO SHOP. THEY’RE NOT THERE THERE TO WORK. THEY’RE JUST THERE.

Following the smash success of his first feature, Clerks, Kevin Smith returned with Mallrats. Spawning a raft of characters and in-jokes that Smith would carry throughout his career, the film continued the one-of-a-kind comedic world known as the View Askewniverse.

Simultaneously dumped by their girlfriends, comic book obsessive Brodie (Jason Lee) and best friend TS (Jeremy London) plan to ease the pain of their losses by taking take a trip to the local mall. Amongst shoppers, they discover the mall is being used as the venue for a dating show, in which TS’s girlfriend Brandi is the star. Hatching a plan to win back their significant others, Brodie and TS enlist the help of professional delinquents Jay and Silent Bob to hijack the gameshow in a bid to win back Brandi. Meanwhile, Brodie carries out his own mission to make good his relationship with Rene (Shannen Doherty), who has attracted the attentions of his nemesis Shannon (Ben Affleck).

Featuring a cast including Joey Lauren Adams, Ben Affleck, who would go on to be recurring collaborators in Smith’s movies, Mallrats celebrates its 25th Anniversary in this limited edition set boasting a brand new restoration and hours of bonus content.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new restoration by Arrow Films of both the Theatrical and Extended cuts of the film, approved by director Kevin Smith and cinematographer David Klein.

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations

Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp

Fold out poster featuring replica blueprints for ‘Operation Drive-by’ and ‘Operation Dark Knight’

DISC ONE – THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS

Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Audio commentary with director Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, archivist Vincent Pereira, and actors Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Jason Mewes

Brand new introduction to the film by Kevin Smith

My Mallrat Memories – and all-new interview with Kevin Smith

A newly filmed tribute to producer Jim Jacks by Kevin Smith

Brand new interview with actor Jason Mewes

Brand new interview with Cinematographer David Klein

Hollywood of the North: A newly produced animated making-of documentary featuring Minnesota crew members who worked on the film

Deleted Scenes – Kevin Smith and Vincent Pereira discuss deleted scenes and sequences originally cut from the film

Outtakes and behind the scenes footage

Cast interviews from the original set

Erection of an Epic: The making of Mallrats – archival retrospective with cat and crew looking at the making and release of the film.

Q&A with Kevin Smith – archival Q&A filmed for the 10th anniversary

Build Me Up Buttercup music video

Stills galleries

Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO – TV CUT

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

Original stereo audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Brand new introduction to the TV cut by director Kevin Smith

Stills gallery of the comic books featured in the film’s opening sequence

Easter eggs ”
Originally Posted by milo bloom
A nice little hint from Facebook, a postcard for David Lynch's Dune in a recent Arrow release.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-12-20, 05:49 PM

Very nice price on RoboCop and it is a spectacular presentation...
$20.51 $20.51

Old 07-12-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

That's the 1 disc standard edition, not the 2 disc LE. Still a great disc, but that price isn't anything special and I don't want anyone ordering thinking it's the LE.
Old 07-12-20, 06:15 PM

Oh, I didn’t know they made 2 versions. Is the LE OOP? Either way glad I have that one. I guess the 1 disc leaves out theatrical oh and I guess special tv cut, which is probably cool, but really I would only watch DC, so no biggie to me, but guess nice to have extras, but wish I could find my order. I can’t even find listing or my order. I would only do Walmart.com or Amazon and cannot find on either. Weird. Can’t find 2-disc listing at all.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-12-20 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I have the Robocop LE. It's kind of nice to have, but nothing too special.

The main difference is that it comes with a booklet (it's nice), some lobby cards (meh), a poster (meh) and a second disc.

The second disc contains the R-rated cut of the film and the bowdlerized tv cut, along with a handful of extras that mostly compare the various cuts of the film. I think there's also an old commentary and an isolated score on it, too. Overall, the second disc is something I'll probably never watch.
Old 07-13-20, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Steelbook of the Robocop LE can be had on sale at https://arrowfilms.com for £15. They are having their big Camp Arrow sale. Unfortunately the cost of shipping is £8 but throw in a few more titles to make it worth it! You'll get the UK packaging with the rating logos. However, the Robocop LE Steelbook is free of said logos. I found this Google Sheet that breaks down region compatibility. I am really thinking about getting a region free player so I can take advantage of the titles that are Region B exclusives.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...bBU/edit#gid=0

Here's a direct link to the Robocop Steel: https://arrowfilms.com/product-detai...lu-ray/FCD1919

The 1 disc edition is £10.
Old 07-13-20, 10:37 AM

Is the 2-disc RoboCop available anywhere? why would they drop the 2nd disc? i thought that was the butter...
Old 07-13-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is the 2-disc RoboCop available anywhere? why would they drop the 2nd disc? i thought that was the butter...
RoboCop is just one of countless titles where Arrow has released a feature-packed "Limited Edition" first followed by a steamlined "Special Edition" later. The Limited Edition is limited, per the name.
Old 07-13-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The 2-disc LE was released in the US in both slipbox and steelbook versions.

The discs are the same, but the steelbook’s booklet is only 40 pages instead of the 80 pages included with the slipbox version.

For whatever reason the steelbook did not sell as well, so it’s still readily available. In fact, because it didn’t sell, it got solicited for Record Store Day for some reason, so it’s orderable through most independent record stores. The UPC (for searching) is 760137297888.

The slip box version sold out, and usually goes for $50-70 on eBay/Amazon Marketplace. However, it looks like B&N actually has stock (or, it’s orderable, at least) with free shipping:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-r...=0760137297789

The UPC is 0760137297789.

Old 07-24-20, 08:23 PM

Did a little Arrow reorg...

edit...I didn’t know editing my post would lose my likes. That’s not fair. Same post, slightly different picture

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-28-20 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldBoy:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20), PhantomStranger (07-25-20)
Old 07-25-20, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I love that display.
Old 07-26-20, 05:13 PM

i really need some cohesion. get all the Arrow's together and the ones on my little horror shelf. then maybe we'll have something, but then horror shelf would be pretty nil if i don't find other sets in place...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-28-20 at 12:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.