DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Gamera: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray] 8-Disc Special Edition Collector's Set July 28, 2020 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/649887-gamera-complete-collection-%5Bblu-ray%5D-8-disc-special-edition-collectors-set-july-28-2020-a.html)

Deadman31 02-20-20 02:42 PM

Gamera: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray] 8-Disc Special Edition Collector's Set July 28, 2020

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d255a18da.jpeg

Adam Tyner 02-20-20 03:43 PM

Re: Gamera: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray] 8-Disc Special Edition Collector's Set July 28, 2020

I’m guessing the Showa-era films will use the same masters from the Mill Creek releases, although I’m sure the encodes will be far superior.

I’m extremely excited about this collection.

milo bloom 02-20-20 04:51 PM

Re: Gamera: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray] 8-Disc Special Edition Collector's Set July 28, 2020

I got all the Shout DVDs then the 4 Blus of the trilogy plus Brave and I've never made it through the first 6. They were fun, but just had other things get in the way.

Yet another fantastic hidef set in my interest group, but I just can't get excited for it knowing I'll rarely have time to really enjoy it (like that 4K Dawn of the Dead set).

Brian T 02-21-20 09:29 AM

That announcement says all twelve films, but does that mean GAMERA THE BRAVE is included — it's not specifically named — or are they counting the American version of the very first film as the "twelfth" title?

Deadman31 02-21-20 10:46 AM

Somebody mentioned on Blu-ray forums that the Brave is included.

Brian T 02-25-20 03:20 PM

I noticed that this thread didn't actually name a specific company, but apparently it's Arrow, and the listings are up at Amazon US and UK (presumably region-free?). I could really live without the comic book, but otherwise a nice looking set . . .

USA - $179.95

UK - $109.99 (approx. $143 US)

Deadman31 02-25-20 09:18 PM

$115 through diabolik

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...ow-us-blu-ray/

Inhumans99 08-20-20 10:59 AM

While it never got down to the $115 price on Amazon it did drop to $125.99 and at the moment it is temporarily not available for pre-order which makes me so happy that my Dad had pre-ordered it earlier this year when I suggested it would be a great Birthday gift.

I rarely anticipate adding to my small collection nowadays but am definitely going to enjoy this set.

I think the Amazon Marketplace sellers are currently asking some cuckoo bananas ridiculous prices for the set but suspect if will be available to pre-order/order again soon enough (and even if it comes back with the suggested MSRP and no discount it is still lower than some of the foolish prices folks are currently asking for the set on Amazon at this moment).

ETA: I asked my Dad if he ever got a notice from Amazon that they charged him the lowest price it was at prior to being released and he did indeed get the notice that he saved $53.99...so that is cool.

I remember many years back that I missed an opportunity at Deep Discount (when their 25% off sales were so huge they would generate 10-20+ page long threads on this site) to order a Gamera set that several years later was being sold for crazy expensive asking prices so this set gave me another bite at the apple and I was smart and acted on it.

stvn1974 08-20-20 05:42 PM

My set is due to be picked up at my local Wal-Mart tomorrow. I hope it isn't destroyed.

Adam Tyner 08-20-20 07:52 PM

My Best Buy order finally showed up this afternoon! I’ve already watched the first movie, and I can’t wait to work my way to Gamera vs. Guiron, my favorite of the bunch.

mike7162 08-22-20 12:53 AM

Anyone get this from Amazon yet - or get a shipping notice at least?

DWilson 08-22-20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162 (Post 13792994)
Anyone get this from Amazon yet - or get a shipping notice at least?

I waited too long to pre-order and it just sat and sat. I decided to go with Amazon UK because it was "in stock". They, of course, charged my card. A day or so later I talked to a friend who pre-ordered at Amazon (US) six weeks earlier than me and his order wasn't moving either. I talked him into ordering from Amazon UK (he didn't have a region-free player like me and was concerned). I led him through the process and he chose the highest-priced shipping while I took the default lowest-priced. Six hours later he had a shipping e-mail. Mine is still sitting there, and just says Arriving between Aug 29 and Sep 13; no shipping notice. So I'm a bit frustrated and wondering about the whole thing. I checked into cancelling, -not to actually cancel, but to check the status, -and it still says it's preparing to ship. The actual solicitation page on Amazon UK has gone from Ships in 1-2 days to 1-2 months.
Update: It was finally dispatched early Saturday morning (US time).

mike7162 08-22-20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13793004)
I waited to long to pre-order and it just sat and sat. I decided to go with Amazon UK because it was "in stock". They, of course, charged my card. A day or so later I talked to a friend who pre-ordered at Amazon (US) six weeks earlier than me and his order wasn't moving either. I talked him into ordering from Amazon UK (he didn't have a region-free player like me and was concerned). I led him through the process and he chose the highest-priced shipping while I took the default lowest-priced. Six hours later he had a shipping e-mail. Mine is still sitting there, and just says Arriving between Aug 29 and Sep 13; no shipping notice. So I'm a bit frustrated and wondering about the whole thing. I checked into cancelling, -not to actually cancel, but to check the status, -and it still says it's preparing to ship. The actual solicitation page on Amazon UK has gone from Ships in 1-2 days to 1-2 months.
Update: It was finally dispatched early Saturday morning (US time).

Thanks for the info - hopefully I will see some movement this weekend as well.

flansered 08-25-20 01:52 PM

I preordered the set n Amazon US cause I had giftcards to cover it, but appears that it's not going to ship. So last Friday I placed an order on Amazon UK for the set and another item that had been in my cart. There was a pending charge on my card, the charge fell off with no charge to my account, but the order has shipped and is on the way. I expect to get hit with the charge, but it's weird that I haven't been charged.

flansered 08-26-20 10:40 AM

My Amazon UK order was delivered today. The shipping box had an end ripped open but the Gamera set is fine. I still haven't been charged, which has me worried.

DWilson 08-27-20 12:04 PM

A friend of mine ordered from Amazon UK on Friday approx. 1am with the highest-priced shipping and got his copy Monday. I ordered last Wednesday with 3.08GBP shipping and it went out Saturday and Wednesday night it was at JFK being screened for Customs.

mike7162 09-17-20 12:38 PM

Just got my copy from Amazon today - it survived the middle passage intact. Looks like it was worth the wait!

DWilson 09-17-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by flansered (Post 13795464)
My Amazon UK order was delivered today. The shipping box had an end ripped open but the Gamera set is fine. I still haven't been charged, which has me worried.

By the way, were you ever charged?