Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

The EPKs don't cost anything. Those are all made during the movie's initial marketing. When you have to hire a crew to shoot, edit a long-form documentary and then try to get cast and crew to agree to be interviewed, that's where you run into problems and that also costs money. I heard that any documentary that runs over 1 hour, you need to pay the participants, especially SAG members.
Old 08-13-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The EPKs don't cost anything. Those are all made during the movie's initial marketing. When you have to hire a crew to shoot, edit a long-form documentary and then try to get cast and crew to agree to be interviewed, that's where you run into problems and that also costs money. I heard that any documentary that runs over 1 hour, you need to pay the participants, especially SAG members.
You'd think at the very least they include some comicon panels or other panels like talk shows. I don't expect like the entire cast to come back for a commentary but between Marvel, Star Wars, and their animation, you'd think there'd be oodles of bonuses they could include if they wanted.
Old 08-13-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Even back in the day where special features were something that really sold a release Disney never did very good features. The only exceptions I can think of are their Disney Treasures releases. Those were pretty good releases all around.
Old 08-13-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's sad that Star Wars fans have been able to put together massive bonus feature compilations that Fox has never done.
Old 08-13-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's actually anything over 30 minutes, which is why you often see documentaries split apart into half-hour featurettes on DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 08-13-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Ah I see. I didn’t even realize that. I really don’t foresee a situation where either of them get remastered releases. I’d buy both, but it just seems like far too much of an investment for Paramount (or would it be CBS at this point)?
CBS Films owns the Star Trek TV shows. Paramount is just distributor. However, I've heard a rumor that CBS may be folded back into Paramount at some point.

Regardless, I wouldn't rule a restoration of DS9 or Voyager completely out of the question. Even if disc sales were poor, having restored high-def masters available is valuable for streaming and syndication packages.
Old 08-13-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You don't think they'd buy 4k?

Pretty much the opposite for me actually. Heck, I’ve only gotten one official copy of the trilogy at all. Got the 2004 DVD release as a birthday gift the year it released. I’m holding out for the unaltered Original Trilogy at this point. Never bought the 2006 DVDs with the unaltered trilogy as “bonus features” and never bought the Blu-ray releases (despite being tempted by them a few times).
Shit. I worded that poorly. What I meant to say:

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
At this point, I think the only people most interested in the OOT are done buying endless rereleases.
And yeah, even 4k.
Old 08-13-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I bought the first DVDs because they were the first DVDs (of course) and I only have the Blu-ray saga set because I found a used copy several years ago at a decent price.
But yeah, no more of 1-6 until the UOT is released.
Old 08-13-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the Harmy editions of the original trilogy as well as the option to watch the Silver Screen Edition of Star Wars. They're only 720p but they're a pretty great way to watch the original cuts of these films all things considered. I too won't be buying a commercial release of the original trilogy again until the unaltered versions are released properly.
Old 08-13-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
LOL at that cover for Empire, making it look like Boba Fett is one of the leads, instead of how he has only 4 lines/20 words in the entire movie.
He speaks 27 words, huge difference.
Old 08-13-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the Zorro tv show ever going to be in HD?

Project 4K80 should be finished next year. 4k77 and 4k83 are available, btw. Although I am not sure if I like those better than Harmy's Despecialized Editions.

What are the odds Disney includes the OOT in this release? 50 to 1?
Old 08-13-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Boba Fett is such a bad ass that he is taken out by a blind man who did nothing but turn around.
Old 08-13-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Harmy editions are spectacular.

There's no reason to not seek them out. Disney/Lucasfilm has no interest in relesing a product the fans want, so seek them out however you can.

I did and it was the best disc based acquisition I ever made. The fans DO know what the fans want.

And I didn't realized that I'd never seen the unaltered trilogy in it's proper aspect ratio. I only had VHS as a kid.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 08-14-19 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Disney can take my money if/when the OT is ever released. Other than that, I will pass.
Old 08-14-19, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Disney can take my money if/when the OT is ever released. Other than that, I will pass.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-14-19, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
CBS Films owns the Star Trek TV shows. Paramount is just distributor. However, I've heard a rumor that CBS may be folded back into Paramount at some point.
And - pardon the short detour off-topic - this just happened with the CBS/Viacom merge. All Star Trek materials are now under one roof again.
Old 08-14-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I noticed that amazon finally put Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope With Added Rocks up for preorder on BD if interested.
Old 08-14-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I noticed that amazon finally put Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope With Added Rocks up for preorder on BD if interested.
Just remember, the technology didn’t exist in 1977 to add a rock in front of R2.
Old 08-16-19, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Now if we can just get these on 4K....
Oh wait a minute, it's Disney. They will hold off for at least a year so that they can double dip into the bank accounts of those that do not have the patience to wait.
Old 08-16-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
Now if we can just get these on 4K....
Oh wait a minute, it's Disney. They will hold off for at least a year so that they can double dip into the bank accounts of those that do not have the patience to wait.
Yep, impulsive consumer behavior is the key driver of the North American economy!
Old 08-16-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You don't think they'd buy 4k?
I won't. I'm done by the special editions in any form or format.

If the OOT were released day and date on Bd with the SEs on UHD, I'd happily buy the OOT (well, not RotJ , if I can help it) and ignore the 4K discs.

I'll also happily pick up Rogue One on UHD anytime it;s available. Just watched it again a week or so back and every viewing just drives home how much SW lost it's way for me after ESB.
At this point, it's the only film in the franchise I can watch and wholeheartedly enjoy, and without reflexively grinding my teeth at some point.
Old 08-21-19, 09:42 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Even back in the day where special features were something that really sold a release Disney never did very good features. The only exceptions I can think of are their Disney Treasures releases. Those were pretty good releases all around.
Tron
20,000 Leagues
Love Bug
Snow White
Fantasia

Some of the best DVD’s ever made.
Old 08-21-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Tron
20,000 Leagues
Love Bug
Snow White
Fantasia

Some of the best DVD’s ever made.
I still have the DVD Toy Story Box Set which was great with all of the extras.
Old 08-21-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I still have the DVD Toy Story Box Set which was great with all of the extras.
Same. I also bought the DTS remaster DVDs and used multi disc cases to combine them into the Toy Box set.
Old 08-22-19, 12:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Since Disney now owns Fox, any chance they will add back the classic 20th Century Fox opening to the original movies? They just don't seem the same without that opening when I watch them on digital.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.