DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   So what's holding you back from 4K? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/647897-so-whats-holding-you-back-4k.html)

melasnus 06-30-19 07:49 PM

Re: So what's holding you back from 4K?

http://a.fod4.com/misc/Prince%20Different%20Strokes.gif

Michael Corvin 07-01-19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13571837)
Once you get a nice 4K display like one of the better OLEDs, you'll wonder why you waited so long. The jump is massive once you see something under Dolby Vision on a Sony or LG OLED.

I think OLED is the key. I've watched stuff on my buddy's standard 4k set and it's definitely a step up from BD but still pales in comparison to my OLED. I'm glad I ponied up the extra scratch to make that leap.

melasnus 07-03-19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13572614)
I think OLED is the key. I've watched stuff on my buddy's standard 4k set and it's definitely a step up from BD but still pales in comparison to my OLED. I'm glad I ponied up the extra scratch to make that leap.

Top-end Sony LEDs are just as good as an LG OLED when scored side-by-side.
What Sony has over LG is video processing; IMO, it's the best in the business.
Sony's video processing has always been the best (going back many years).
It's how they built their reputation in the video display business over the decades.
With that said, I would love to have a giant Sony OLED.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-14-19 06:10 PM

Maybe they will have a longer shelf life than 3-D TVs and 3D blu-rays.

Remember when 3D was suppose to be the next big thing? That fizzled out quickly.

melasnus 07-15-19 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13578217)
3D blu-rays.

Still being produced.

Remember when 3D was suppose to be the next big thing? That fizzled out quickly.
People didn't hate 3D...they hated the glasses.
Not to worry though, every major display manufacturer is working on glassLESS 3D displays.
It has been done in the labs...now it's just a matter of getting the cost down. ;)

Dan 07-15-19 09:43 AM

Maybe glasses-free 3D on TVs will be like giant Nintendo 3DS screens, with a big slider on the side of the TV to adjust the 3D depth. :D

Anyway... 4K is great. Like Corvin above, I sprung for an OLED (LG E7, priced about what a C7 would have cost), and couldn't be happier with it. I have noticed a bit of vertical banding (once you see it...) but overall, it was worth the upgrade and really makes 4K content shine.

I have about 50 4K discs, with only a handful that are truly disappointing (I'm looking at you, Galveston. I'm still mad there hasn't been a replacement program for this one.)

melasnus 07-15-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13578457)
Maybe glasses-free 3D on TVs will be like giant Nintendo 3DS screens, with a big slider on the side of the TV to adjust the 3D depth. :D

Great idea. :thumbsup:

Anyway... 4K is great. Like Corvin above, I sprung for an OLED (LG E7, priced about what a C7 would have cost), and couldn't be happier with it. I have noticed a bit of vertical banding (once you see it...) but overall, it was worth the upgrade and really makes 4K content shine.
I have a Sony 940c and feel the same.

I have about 50 4K discs, with only a handful that are truly disappointing
Same here.

One that comes to mind as being less than inspiring is Coppola's Dracula.
I love the movie and was really disappointed so little effort went into the 4K release.
However, the latest catalog releases look terrific...Black Hawk Down, for example.

Dan 07-15-19 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13578488)
I have a Sony 940c and feel the same.

Nice! There are so many good 4K sets out there these days, it really is hard to go wrong.

Same here.

One that comes to mind as being less than inspiring is Coppola's Dracula.
I love the movie and was really disappointed so little effort went into the 4K release.
That's good to know, as it's one I didn't purchase yet. I think I'll wait for a remaster, but I'm sure the Blu-ray I own is sufficient for the time being.

However, the latest catalog releases look terrific...Black Hawk Down, for example.
I should grab that.

melasnus 07-17-19 10:48 AM

I hesitate to bring this up, but on an internet forum, we must fear no evil. :grouphug:

It seems the studios and display manufacturers just couldn't avoid a Format War regarding the super-duper versions of HDR:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#1bfabecc2689
Although we are now somewhat far in to the UHD format in the marketplace, the betting man would hedge on HDR10+ to ultimately win out.
(HDR10+ is free to manufacturers, while Dolby Vision comes with a fee).

To be CLEAR, this ONLY applies to HDR formats above the standard HDR10:
1) Yes, you will still get HDR on every 4K UHD disk you buy.
2) No, it doesn't mean any 4K display you may buy will become obsolete.
The reality is the standard HDR10 itself is pretty stunning itself when applied to UHDs.

JoeySeven 11-19-19 04:22 AM

Some great info in this thread,I still need to read everything again.
I'm still on the fence about going 4K. Not sure if I'll just go more 4K streaming over disc.

For my family and me what is holding us back.

1)Happy with what we have. A 60" plasma and 50" Samsung lcd and PS3,OPPO DVD player and few other players and I like to keep
it simple and just use a sound bar. Streaming Netflix and we have about 350 movies in VUDU and other streaming accounts.

2)Money
If I get a 4K player,most of the tittles I would buy are going be movies we do not own already.
Plus rather save the money or spend it on something else these days.
If we had a home movie theater room almost for sure would go 4K. maybe the next house.
Plus money is tight. I decided to be semi retire and live a simpler less stress life. Only problem is I'm married. :D

And most of these movies coming out on 4k do not interest me.
So much available on streaming services and digital kind of cutting back on physical media.
This is the first year I bought many movies just on digital,but did not spend a whole lot.
As I still prefer physical over digital for now.

Plan on buying a streaming media player and maybe a 4K disc player this month and also adding the Disney+ Hulu package.
Been awhile since we bought any new TV or player etc...

Getting late I'll edit some tomorrow or the latter.

I have been 4 K since last September. In my honest opinion it is OK but not really necessary. The original Predator is a great example. However if you look at recent movies in 4K vs. a blu that is where many will just shrug.

My receiver can handle the 4K but not Dolby Vision. So my question to those that have Dolby Vision vs. HDR can you even really tell?

So see here is the never ending battle. Do I upgrade my receiver to get the Dolby Vision?

At some point you need to be happy with what you have and not what you may be missing and not even notice.
from another thread

DVD will probably outlast blu-ray and UHD. It's more ubiquitous than either blu-ray or UHD, and backward compatible with both formats.

What I suspect we will see is a slow death for DVD/BR/UHD. We're already seeing blu-ray releases being scaled back with certain releases going DVD only. Blu-ray will still exist as a premium format for collectors and boutique labels like Shout/Scream, Arrow, and Criterion. UHD will be reserved mostly for new releases of big budget event films like superheroes, sci-fi, and action flicks.

Eventually there will be a big blockbuster movie that won't get a physical release and will only be available digitally. At which point, new releases will begin to transition away from physical media and become digital exclusives. Once the first domino falls, most likely Disney making something like Frozen 3 a Disney+ exclusive, it will probably take about two years for new releases to completely transition to digital (either sales or subscription streaming).

UHD will probably be the first casualty format, being the domain of new releases and select catalog titles. I'm not sure if the player base will be able to support the format as new releases transition to digital.

Blu-ray will continue to soldier on for catalog titles sold via boutique labels; we might even start to see some of the big budget digital exclusives start to get Shout/Criterion SEs a few years after they've been released digitally and made the rounds on cable. Collectors only. UHD might eventually take up the collectors torch, but I doubt it. Most UHD discs don't have any SE features, instead housing those on the included blu-ray disc.

DVD will become the new bargain bin filler. It will be, essentially, a disposable format that sells for cheap. At this point, all physical media will be dinosaurs. Blu-ray will be the choice for a dwindling number of film collectors, and DVD will be a junk format that sells crap for under $5. Effectively rentals you don't need to return for people without a decent internet connection.

mattysemo247 11-19-19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13564788)
Same here, except 135 inch screen for us. So between that and losing the ability to play the 100+ 3D movies we have is why I've been holding off.

Also I have kinda lost interest in picking up movies over the past year or so. I still go a little nuts around Black Friday and pick up 10 to 15 titles, but don't really pick up much throughout the rest of the year unless it's some sort of exclusive or Marvel/Disney title we were waiting for.

With three young kids, work, house responsibilities, life, etc. we just don't tend to rewatch a lot of movies. Generally we just check out new releases at the local library.

All of that being said, if anything pushes me to 4K, it will be the next generation of video game consoles.

I figured I would go back and quote myself now that we have a 4K TV. I have watched some 4K discs, and while it's a nice upgrade, I couldn't see myself rebuying movies in 4K that I already have on blu ray. The quality isn't the same jump as DVD to blu ray. So while I will pick up some new 4K titles going forward, I don't see myself upgrading titles.

dex14 11-19-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13642719)
I figured I would go back and quote myself now that we have a 4K TV. I have watched some 4K discs, and while it's a nice upgrade, I couldn't see myself rebuying movies in 4K that I already have on blu ray. The quality isn't the same jump as DVD to blu ray. So while I will pick up some new 4K titles going forward, I don't see myself upgrading titles.

It depends on if the film has a remaster or not. A great example is the Mission Impossible original blu-ray is terrible in comparison to the 4K disc.

mattysemo247 11-19-19 06:55 PM

Yes, but I'm sure the blu ray looks better than the DVD. Price is another factor. If we are using MI as an example Walmart is going to have the six film collection for $10 on BF. I'm sure for the same price you could buy one MI movie on UHD for that amount.

dex14 11-19-19 07:00 PM

It’s actually not much better than the DVD.

Alan Smithee 11-19-19 08:11 PM

Say what?

asianxcore 11-28-19 09:50 PM

I bought my first 4K Blu-Rays this evening during Best Buy's Black Friday sales. Ended up buying 8! :lol:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I hope to move into a bigger place next year. If that happens, I will definitely be upgrading my old 40" 1080p LCD to a (larger) 4K/UHD/HDR set.

PhantomStranger 11-30-19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13647492)
I bought my first 4K Blu-Rays this evening during Best Buy's Black Friday sales. Ended up buying 8! :lol:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I hope to move into a bigger place next year. If that happens, I will definitely be upgrading my old 40" 1080p LCD to a (larger) 4K/UHD/HDR set.

That always happens. After already visiting Walmart, I went to Best Buy not expecting to get anything. That plan didn't work out for me.

Sonic 11-30-19 07:12 PM

Did not buy not one 4K title. Thought of the Matrix which was at $9. But that hideous cover no way in hell I'm giving Warner my money for that artwork atrocity for a movie I love.

asianxcore 12-01-19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13648187)
That always happens. After already visiting Walmart, I went to Best Buy not expecting to get anything. That plan didn't work out for me.

:thumbsup:

It didn't help that the titles I've always wanted on 4K were on-sale at Best Buy during their Black Friday sales. Still waiting for Mad Max: Fury Road to get cheaper.

Being able to shave off even more of the cost after selling (almost all of) the 4K Digital Codes was even better!