HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What have you upgraded?

Old 01-15-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What have you upgraded?

I upgraded virtually everything I enjoyed on DVD to Blu-ray. Those days are behind me and I am being much more selective with UHD. I now upgrade to UHD only if it's a movie I truly love and reviews aren't terrible.
Old 01-15-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

When Best Buy had the deal where you would get a $5 off blu ray coupon, I upgraded a lot of titles that were priced at $10.
Old 01-16-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I have it on blu I won't upgrade it to 4K the only exceptions are John Carpenter movies with They Live (Studio Canal 4K,) The Thing when released in 4K and EFNY (Studio Canal 4K).
If I don't have the blu I may upgrade pending a price drop on the blu or 4K. But I don't always as it will depend on what the DVD looks like. Most still look good enough upconverted.
If I am buying it for the first time I will typically get the 4K if available.
Old 01-16-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Rule of thumb- I watch every movie I already have on my current setup (even if it's on VHS) and then decide if the quality of what I have needs improvement, and if I like the movie enough to justify that improvement. There's some movies that I've paid a decent amount to upgrade, and some that I wouldn't even pay $1 for a better copy of.
You are wise, sir.

I have thousands of catalog BDs I won't upgrade to UHD (the BDs usually look/sound good enough IMO).

Over the years, I often upgraded my BD collection whenever a newer release with a new master came on the market.
I have an obsession with my audio and video collection being of the very best quality available...
Old 01-17-19, 07:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
So, in conjuncture with my other thread about learning how crappy some of my old DVDs now look on a 4k tv, I am wondering what discs you have chosen to upgrade and why?

I certainly don't plain to replace my entire DVD collection with Blus but wondering what are some of the more worthwhile upgrades out there.
DVDs look better on my blu-ray player than they did on my DVD/VHS combo player, so I've had very little reason to upgrade anything. The only reason I might is because the DVD went wonky (Demolition Man) or looked HORRIBLE (Outland), or I found a really good deal on a Collector's Edition BD (Mad Max) or wanted a matched set (Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome - actually those came in snapper cases which in my mind was a double-whammy). I might upgrade In the Mouth of Madness because it's one of my favorite horror movies that comes in a snapper case. I won't upgrade just for the hell of it; there has to be a viable reason to, I really don't want to spend that kind of money and my wife would kill me if I tried to.