Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How big a leap are Doctor Who blu-ray VS DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-25-18, 08:00 AM

Looking at getting my son his favorite, Matt Smith and Tennant (Series 2-7)and I was curious because I have read conflicting reports on quality.
Old 12-25-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How big a leap are Doctor Who blu-ray VS DVD?

They didn't start filming in Hidef until the David Tennant specials (season 4.5 basically), so anything before that is an upconvert from standard definition. So Matt Smith will look good, but David Tennant's won't be as big of a jump.

As an aside, the Christopher Eccleston DVDs were some of the worst looking DVDs ever made, and I recently found the Bluray set of his season (also upconverts) and it's a pretty decent jump in quality, though you won't ever mistake it for native HD.
Old 12-25-18, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
They didn't start filming in Hidef until the David Tennant specials (season 4.5 basically), so anything before that is an upconvert from standard definition. So Matt Smith will look good, but David Tennant's won't be as big of a jump.

As an aside, the Christopher Eccleston DVDs were some of the worst looking DVDs ever made, and I recently found the Bluray set of his season (also upconverts) and it's a pretty decent jump in quality, though you won't ever mistake it for native HD.

Cool thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been having trouble with playback problems with Doctor Who(seasons 1 thru 5) and if I do decide to start buying again I will be going with Blu-ray.

Also had major issues with Highlander DVDs so much so I wouldn't bother buying the blu-rays.