Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2019 Blu-ray releases

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2019 Blu-ray releases

Old 08-03-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2019 Blu-ray releases

I liked it the first time and maybe the second but now it is kind of boring

It is probably not good enough or the interest there to make a 3rd movie and Cage does not have the box office power he had in the early 2000's.

Maybe it would have been the closest thing for Cage to have his own franchise like Cruise has with MI where Cruise can sustain a career with those movies while all of his other projects tank or bomb at the box office.
Old 08-03-19, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

Is it just me, or is anyone else highly suspicious of classic animation on Blu-ray? I'm almost certain all of these types of releases are poor upscales. The editors may not have access to any decent masters in the first place.

And 4K upscaling? That's just overkill. Unless these films are entirely re-drawn from scratch, then the practice of HD upconversion is rather pointless.
Old 08-03-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not in the least if the transfer is done right.
Old 08-03-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most classic animation were made using cel animation, which come from actual film masters. It's the cheaper animation titles made in the 1980s and later for lower-budget fare that are more or less stuck at a certain resolution.
Old 08-05-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

I liked it the first time and maybe the second but now it is kind of boring

It is probably not good enough or the interest there to make a 3rd movie and Cage does not have the box office power he had in the early 2000's.

Maybe it would have been the closest thing for Cage to have his own franchise like Cruise has with MI where Cruise can sustain a career with those movies while all of his other projects tank or bomb at the box office.
Cage was on the Adam Carolla podcast this morning and the question came up if there's been talk about rebooting any of his old movies (The Rock, Con Air, etc.). He said the one that would make the most sense would be National Treasure III, although he seemed to imply there's not been any talk of doing so.
Old 08-05-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm confused - why did Jeff post about National Treasure in the animation thread?
Old 08-05-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by loyal ninja View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else highly suspicious of classic animation on Blu-ray? I'm almost certain all of these types of releases are poor upscales. The editors may not have access to any decent masters in the first place.

And 4K upscaling? That's just overkill. Unless these films are entirely re-drawn from scratch, then the practice of HD upconversion is rather pointless.
Hand-drawn cel animation was photographed onto film stock. There's no reason that the camera negative couldn't be scanned at a higher resolution, the same as any other movie that originated on film. That's not an "upscale."

That said, Disney has a poor track record of overly processing its animated classics with DNR, grain removal, sharpening, and digital recoloring. I've been rewatching a number of the these movies on Blu-ray with my kids and many of them look kind of terrible. I would like to hope that remastering the movies in 4k will give Disney an excuse to do proper restorations that look more like film, but I'm not sure I trust the studio that much.
Old 08-05-19, 12:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That said, Disney has a poor track record of overly processing its animated classics with DNR, grain removal, sharpening...
Strange. The Disney releases I've seen always had too much of a soft glow to them. And it's definitely not my video equipment.
Old 08-05-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by loyal ninja View Post
Strange. The Disney releases I've seen always had too much of a soft glow to them. And it's definitely not my video equipment.
That's the DNR, which is unfortunately pretty aggressive on most of these movies. It not only takes away the grain, but wipes out fine line detail in the animation, leaving the images texture-less.
Old 08-05-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Hand-drawn cel animation was photographed onto film stock. There's no reason that the camera negative couldn't be scanned at a higher resolution, the same as any other movie that originated on film. That's not an "upscale."

That said, Disney has a poor track record of overly processing its animated classics with DNR, grain removal, sharpening, and digital recoloring. I've been rewatching a number of the these movies on Blu-ray with my kids and many of them look kind of terrible. I would like to hope that remastering the movies in 4k will give Disney an excuse to do proper restorations that look more like film, but I'm not sure I trust the studio that much.
It's clear that Disney isn't terribly concerned with authentic film restorations and animation purists.

Old 08-05-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I'm confused - why did Jeff post about National Treasure in the animation thread?
My mistake I thought it was in the last movie thread

Now I know what happened to that post. If the mods can move it that is fine with me.
Old 08-05-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might be tempted to buy the 4K Aladdin Blu-ray
Old 08-05-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My mistake I thought it was in the last movie thread

Now I know what happened to that post. If the mods can move it that is fine with me.
Just checking, I thought I was missing something there. FWIW, I watched both of them recently with my kids, and they liked it a lot. Very Disney-fied version of Indiana Jones in a sense. Id be down for one more.
Old 08-06-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Diane Krueger was stunning in those movies
Old 08-13-19, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, Disney is dumping 2 Signature Collection titles on Sept. 24. 101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty (to coincide with the Maleficent 4K release).

If ever there were a classic animation title to give a 4K release, I'd think Sleeping Beauty should be it, but nope. No details on the contents of these releases yet, but given the way they're dumping them, I expect them to be retreads of the Diamond editions with maybe 1 or 2 new and worthless bonus features.

Best Buy steelbooks:

Last edited by TheBang; 08-13-19 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do like the cover art for those two steelbooks.
Old 08-13-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those are pretty but certainly not enough to make me rebuy two movies I already own in two formats (BR, Digital HD) I already have them in.
Old 08-13-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sleeping Beauty artwork is awful

I don't get the connection between Maleficent and 101 Dalmatians.
Old 08-13-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the connection between Maleficent and 101 Dalmatians.
The connection is that Cruella with Emma Stone is coming next year and will probably have a trailer running in front of Maleficent.
Old 08-15-19, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The connection is that Cruella with Emma Stone is coming next year and will probably have a trailer running in front of Maleficent.
That's probable, but I think it's more likely just because they are just trying to dump the remaining Signature titles on disc before Disney+ launches in November. I bet they'll keep them in print too.
Old 08-16-19, 08:23 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
True. It's also because Disney is money hungry and loves to drain families bank accounts.

I like your avatar. This looks to be the season that makes or breaks the Harbaugh legacy. With Meyer gone, he better beat OSU or there will be an uproar in Ann Arbor not seen since the Moeller incident.
Old 08-18-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sleeping Beauty artwork is awful
Insert lebowski gif here.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 08-19-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Id like the Steelbook for 101 Dalmatians better if the front wasnt overtaken completely by Cruella. Id rather the pups be on front. Ill buy probably just the standard release. Could care less about Sleeping Beauty.
Old 08-18-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 3nthebag View Post
I like your avatar. This looks to be the season that makes or breaks the Harbaugh legacy. With Meyer gone, he better beat OSU or there will be an uproar in Ann Arbor not seen since the Moeller incident.
Thanks, and personally I agree, but I don't think the athletic department has the balls to hold him to that standard. He will be at UM until he doesn't want to be.
Old 08-18-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Id like the Steelbook for 101 Dalmatians better if the front wasnt overtaken completely by Cruella. Id rather the pups be on front.
The pups dont have their own movie coming out next year. You dont think Disney would pass on any publicity they could get, do you?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.