Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema (39 films) -- Criterion Collection -- 11/20/18

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema (39 films) -- Criterion Collection -- 11/20/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema (39 films) -- Criterion Collection -- 11/20/18

I picked up my set yesterday and it is a beast. Weighs a ton. My only complaint is that I wish they had a little more color in the binder that holds the discs. Maybe a picture or drawing related to each title.
Old 11-25-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Wow, this thing disappeared in record time! Amazon's already out of stock, and, as of now, there's one lone copy there going for $450. With disc pressing facilities backed up (due to so many closing), I think it'll be a while before they press more discs to keep up with stock. I lucked out grabbing it when I did.
Old 11-25-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Framing it as buying ten films for $15 each and getting the rest as the "extras", made this set seem more worthwhile to me than it did initially, only because I know I would almost certainly never get around to watching more than half the set even once.
Hell, of the ten IB Criterions I already own I've watched exactly 0.
Just couldn't justify this in light of my viewing habits the last decade.

I do hope and expect it will still be in print by the time the next B&N sale hits in July. If I make a dent in the ones I currently own, maybe then I'll change my mind. But, who knows? This may be all she wrote for this release.

In which case, congrats and happy viewing to the folks that snapped this up.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 11-25-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I decided to drive 35+ miles to the closest local store that showed the Bergman Set as In-Stock/Store-Pickup.

This particular store has always been great to me in previous Sales and generally has a handle on their Inventory. The Bergman Set at this particular store had shown In-Stock for the past 1.5+ weeks and I was a bit surprised why they seemed to be one of the few stores in Northern California who had the Set still in stock.

I spoke to an Assistant Manager (who happened to be working the Information Desk) if they had the Set in-stock and she informed me that she had sold 3 of the 6 Sets the store received. She then informed me that 3 of the other Sets were on hold and they weren't available. When I asked if they were pre-purchased or paid for, I didn't get an answer, which was sort of a bummer

Having worked for one of B&N's competitors in my 20s, I knew most holds (that aren't paid for, or through a Ship To Store Option), are 24-48 hours. They had been holding onto these Sets for these 3 customers for whatever reason, which now makes sense why the inventory had not changed to reflect the situation, as they remaining copies hadn't been sold yet.