Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

THOR RAGNAROK: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

THOR RAGNAROK: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: THOR RAGNAROK: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

I saw this linked on Marvel's Facebook with the different versions.

It’s main event time! Marvel Studios’ "Thor: Ragnarok" comes loaded with bonus extras and hits home early on Digital and Movies Anywhere February 20, Blu-ray March 6, and new on 4K UHD. Reserve your copy today: http://bit.ly/2m01ISX
http://marvel.com/movies/movie/222/t...elatedProducts

Looks like the 4K UHD "Cinematic Universe Edition" or whatever for me. That and "multi-screen edition" sound so dumb.
Old 01-10-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that confirms no 3D release for the US

It's kinda crazy to think that two years ago, we were paying $20 for a BB steelbook that included 3D+Blu+DVD+DC and now we are paying $35 for 4K+Blu+DC. That fucking sucks.
Old 01-10-18, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, that's a big sign Disney is starting to drop 3D support when they opt not to release this on 3D disc. Oh well.
Old 01-10-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

It wasn't shot in 3-D.

Getting the Digital HD on 2/20.
Old 01-10-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It wasn't shot in 3-D.
That never stopped them on the other dozen Marvel movies they released in 3D. And it's being released in 3D in other regions, just not the US.

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, that's a big sign Disney is starting to drop 3D support when they opt not to release this on 3D disc. Oh well.
Yep, 3D is dead to Disney (at least here in the US). None of their recent releases had 3D versions (Pirates, Cars, Thor) so I'm guessing Coco won't either.
Old 01-10-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Special Features:

Director's Introduction

Deleted/Extended Scenes – Deleted Scenes: The Sorcerer Supreme, Skurge Finds Heimdall & Hulk Chases Thor Through Sakaar and Extended Scenes: Thor Meets the Grandmaster, Stupid Avenger vs. Tiny Avenger & Grandmaster and Topaz

Gag Reel – Watch a collection of goofs, gaffes and pratfalls starring the cast

Exclusive Short/Team Darryl – Fresh off being unseated as the ruler of Sakaar, the Grandmaster makes his way to Earth to start a new life. It's been over a year since Thor left Australia and Darryl has been struggling to pay his rent. Now Darryl needs a new roommate to help make the monthly payments. Unfortunately for Darryl, the Grandmaster was the only one who answered Darryl's "Roommate Needed" ad and with no viable options, the Grandmaster moves in.

Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years – The Evolution of Heroes – Marvel's universe is vast and transcends both time and space. We'll examine the Cinematic Universe as a whole and revisit each of our heroes' current location and their place in the current MCU timeline, as it all leads up to the one culminating event: "Avengers: Infinity War."

Getting in Touch with Your Inner Thor – "Thor: Ragnarok" director Taika Waititi has brought his unique sensibility and sense of humor to the film in a great many ways but it is the evolution of Thor's own sense of humor, which stands out the most in the new film. This piece explores the impact Chris Hemsworth has made on the development of his widely-loved character and celebrates the mighty cast and crew who reveal the fun and hard work that went into assembling Thor's eccentric counterparts.

Unstoppable Women: Hela & Valkyrie – This piece explores the strong female characters in "Thor: Ragnarok," their importance in the MCU, their incredible casting and their epic comic origins.

Finding Korg – A tongue-in-cheek interview with Taika on casting Korg. He describes the difficult search for just the right evolution of the character design, and the nuances of this instantly classic character in the MCU. This conversation will also delve into all the extraordinary visual effects that brought Korg, Sakaar and the worlds of "Thor: Ragnarok" to life.

Sakaar: On the Edge of the Known and Unknown – Sakaar is the collection point for all lost and unloved things. This documentary will answer all known and unknown questions while also exploring the hard work and creativity that went into creating the look and feel of Sakaar. From design inspired by Jack Kirby's classic artwork to the dedication of the visual development team to the awe-inspiring physical and digital production, you will see this distant world come alive.

Journey into Mystery – A deep dive story piece with the writers, director and producer Kevin Feige about the inspirations for "Thor: Ragnarok" within the comics. Most notably, the contest of champions limited series where the Grandmaster pitted our favorite heroes against one another as he does in the film. This piece also further explores Thor's comic book origins and classic arcs through interviews with some of the most important comic creators, such as Walt Simonson and Jack Kirby.

8bit Scenes – Final Bridge Battle + Sakaar Spaceship Battle. Dive into these climactic sequences presented in retro video-game format.

Directors Commentary

*Digital Exclusives

Evolution of Thor and Hulk's Bromance – We'll examine this Super Hero friendship, which has spanned through several Marvel films. From their original Helicarrier fight match to the now iconic Hulk punch from Avengers 1, see how Marvel's most powerful Super Heroes become the most extraordinary Super Hero buddies.

Additional Deleted Scenes – Travel to Asgard & Race To The Wormhole
Old 01-10-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
That never stopped them on the other dozen Marvel movies they released in 3D. And it's being released in 3D in other regions, just not the US.

Yep, 3D is dead to Disney (at least here in the US). None of their recent releases had 3D versions (Pirates, Cars, Thor) so I'm guessing Coco won't either.

Fools and their money were easily parted.
Old 01-11-18, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 4K steelbook on pre-order, but it's a shame that it doesn't include the 3D disc like Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 and Rogue One.

I say that because this was the fourth Marvel film that really took advantage of 3D unlike every other Marvel film.
Old 01-11-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fools and their money were easily parted.
Most people that saw Doctor Strange in 3D would not agree. But I get it, you're here to troll. So I look forward to more of your shit posts.
Old 01-11-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most people that saw Doctor Strange in 3D would not agree. But I get it, you're here to troll. So I look forward to more of your shit posts.

Not trolling at all. Just saying that if the film was not shot in actual 3-D then it's bullshit. You can lie and believe whatever you want about the "3-D process" having more depth (like in some shitty post conversion) but it unless it was 3-D from the get-go it will always be crap.

But hey, even the studios know this -- they just wanted more money from consumers and that well is drying up.
Old 01-11-18, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Titanic 3D begs to differ. There’s been a decent amount of titles not filmed in 3D that have good conversions. And if the studios just wanted more money, then they’d continue to release 3D and charge the same damn premium. But they continue to film and release in 3D, and release them on 3D blu everywhere else in the world except the US.
Old 01-11-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Titanic 3D begs to differ. There’s been a decent amount of titles not filmed in 3D that have good conversions. And if the studios just wanted more money, then they’d continue to release 3D and charge the same damn premium. But they continue to film and release in 3D, and release them on 3D blu everywhere else in the world except the US.

World audiences tend to buy into gimmicks more than the US. I'm sure their spreadsheets indicate that. Hell, did the most recent release of T2 remastered in 3-D do gangbusters here in the states. I don't think it did. And as far as filming in 3-D - what was the last film to be shot in actual 3-D? I don't even remember. The last film I saw in theaters that was native 3-D was Hugo. It was great, but it was shot and conceived as a 3-D picture from the get-go.
Old 01-11-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the biggest reason that 3D dried up in the US is because none of the new 4K TVs support 3D. So there is no point to continue to support 3D if a customer can't walk into a store and buy a new TV that has it. No one expects people to continue to buy 3D discs if their TV doesn't have the functionality.
Old 01-11-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

And as far as filming in 3-D - what was the last film to be shot in actual 3-D? I don't even remember. The last film I saw in theaters that was native 3-D was Hugo. It was great, but it was shot and conceived as a 3-D picture from the get-go.
The last couple of Bryan Singer's X-Men movies (Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse) were shot in native 3D. And the 3D sucked, because Singer is terrified of being called "gimmicky" if he goes more than half an inch of depth in either direction. A number of post-conversions have better 3D than those native 3D movies.
Old 01-11-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the biggest reason that 3D dried up in the US is because none of the new 4K TVs support 3D. So there is no point to continue to support 3D if a customer can't walk into a store and buy a new TV that has it. No one expects people to continue to buy 3D discs if their TV doesn't have the functionality.
I think that's flipping things around; TV manufacturers stopped pushing 3D because interest in it had already fallen considerably.
Old 01-11-18, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

i got the Zavvi 3D bc i like it. simple as that. if it adds even a modicum of somehing (depth, or whatever) then it is worth it. sure, there are ones that don't really benefit and pretty much suck in 3D, but the ones that do are fabulous. Up, Avatar, Moana and Frozen, Book of Life, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, spring to my mind as pretty good and just added that little something...
Old 01-11-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

And they expected it to be the next big thing that everyone would want, and that soon EVERYTHING would be in 3D. Lots of reasons why that didn't happen- as much as I love 3D, having literally everything in 3D would make it less special.

Conversions CAN look good (I honestly didn't know Piranha was a conversion til after it was over) but it still screams cheapness. They shot real 3D in the 50s, no reason not to do it now. Theaters are now running fewer 3D showings because people are refusing to pay the upcharges, so if 3D is going to survive they're going to have to either drop the extra charges or at least make it WORTH paying more for.

That said, I'm still absolutely disgusted at TV manufacturers dropping 3D just because it didn't meet their unreasonable expectations. I bought one of the last LGs with 3D because of that, and it'll be the last TV I ever buy if it stays gone forever. Quality 3D at home was something I wanted all my life, and if you'd had told me 30 years ago that we'd get it but it would then go away because of lack of interest, I wouldn't believe you. Also very disgusted with Disney for pushing 3D at first then mysteriously holding back titles (like Frozen, which would've been HUGE for the format if it were available in the US) for reasons they STILL won't explain. At least I'm well-versed in importing now and do it without hesitation. If they at least bring back 3D displays in other countries then I'll import one of those eventually.
Old 01-11-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

3D was destined to be the sacrificial lamb regardless of how it was doing. With DVD, BD and 3d BD in the marketplace, and streaming options becoming popular, something was going to have to give to full push market Ultra BD. DVD wasn't going anywhere due to Walmart's foothold with it.
Old 01-12-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That said, I'm still absolutely disgusted at TV manufacturers dropping 3D just because it didn't meet their unreasonable expectations.
Me, too. And just as technology to nearly perfect the process was becoming affordable, to boot.
Old 01-12-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The unreasonable expectation was thinking that enough consumers wanted 3D viewing in their home. I suspect the majority are like my family and freinds and think it's cool as a fun exception when the movie will be better for it, or as a short theme park attraction experience. Seems I'm also not alone in having zero interest in seeing any movie in 3D that was not filmed that way.
Old 01-12-18, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this was one of the rarer conversions where the 3D was a) excellent b) and added to the overall enjoyment of the movie - I have the 3D UK edition on preorder
Old 01-12-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They shot real 3D in the 50s, no reason not to do it now.
There are plenty of reasons to favor a post-conversion over native 3D. The native 3D cameras are more complicated and cumbersome, and may limit the director's shot choices. They also have a host of problems with getting proper image convergence. Even many supposedly native 3D productions wind up post-converting a significant percentage of their shots because the native stereo image was unusable. As I recall, the third Transformers movie was around 50/50 native/converted.

Because the camera captures two images for every shot, that also requires a dramatic increase in data storage for all that raw footage.

Even Paul W.S. Anderson, who was a big proponent of shooting in native 3D, switched to a post-conversion for the last Resident Evil movie.

The real key in getting good 3D is planning for it from the beginning, hiring stereographers to make depth maps ahead of time and advise on the most effective shot choices and editing patterns. So long as the director does that, a 3D post-conversion can look every bit as good, if not better, than native 3D.

The reason so many post-conversions look poor is because the directors and DPs don't do that. They treat 3D as an afterthought and pay no attention to it during production. They shoot and edit just like they would any 2D movie, using lots of shaky-cam and rapid-fire editing that detract from the 3D effect and make viewers uncomfortable.

They either expect somebody else to figure it out in post, or in some cases (Godzilla, Blade Runner 2049) disown the 3D version entirely as being forced on them by the studio. The DP for Godzilla even made a public statement telling viewers not to see his movie in 3D.

If the filmmakers actually want 3D and build that into their workflow from the start, post-conversion can be a perfectly valid method of achieving that goal.
Old 01-12-18, 12:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There are plenty of reasons to favor a post-conversion over native 3D. The native 3D cameras are more complicated and cumbersome, and may limit the director's shot choices. They also have a host of problems with getting proper image convergence. Even many supposedly native 3D productions wind up post-converting a significant percentage of their shots because the native stereo image was unusable. As I recall, the third Transformers movie was around 50/50 native/converted.

Because the camera captures two images for every shot, that also requires a dramatic increase in data storage for all that raw footage.

Even Paul W.S. Anderson, who was a big proponent of shooting in native 3D, switched to a post-conversion for the last Resident Evil movie.

The real key in getting good 3D is planning for it from the beginning, hiring stereographers to make depth maps ahead of time and advise on the most effective shot choices and editing patterns. So long as the director does that, a 3D post-conversion can look every bit as good, if not better, than native 3D.

The reason so many post-conversions look poor is because the directors and DPs don't do that. They treat 3D as an afterthought and pay no attention to it during production. They shoot and edit just like they would any 2D movie, using lots of shaky-cam and rapid-fire editing that detract from the 3D effect and make viewers uncomfortable.

They either expect somebody else to figure it out in post, or in some cases (Godzilla, Blade Runner 2049) disown the 3D version entirely as being forced on them by the studio. The DP for Godzilla even made a public statement telling viewers not to see his movie in 3D.

If the filmmakers actually want 3D and build that into their workflow from the start, post-conversion can be a perfectly valid method of achieving that goal.
Godzilla (2014) was so damn darkly lit, I wouldn't think the 3D would have much of a pop.

even though I saw 'Blade Runner 2049' twice in 3D, I knew Roger Deakins didn't advocate for the 3D conversions of that either, and I agree with him
Old 01-12-18, 09:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

this is Zavvi's artwork for 3D Steel:

that is, no, just no...
Old 01-12-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

I ordered the regular package from Zavvi since I didn't want to pay more for the steelbook. I got the steelbook of Pirates since I didn't know there was a cheaper regular case version til after I clicked in my order. Pre-ordered the steelbook of Star Wars though because it's Star Wars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.