Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

The only thing that irks me is having to buy two separate releases if I want 3D. The studios are still showing strong support for 3D but I almost feel as if they are making us choose between either one or the other. For those of us that enjoy 3D it's only a matter of time I fear.
Old 12-16-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up

Originally Posted by AaronSch
and then conveniently made me the first post which gives the appearance that I created it with that title.
Like I said, posts are sorted chronologically. I can't create a new post and have it appear before the older ones. Similarly, the thread is listed as being started by whoever's responsible for the first post in the thread, and that's not something I can override either. I don't think the subject is snarky.
Old 12-16-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

This is an excellent piece by A/V guru David Susilo dispelling some of the misconceptions about UHD and 4K video.

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...eptions-of-4k/
Old 12-16-16, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Like I said in the other thread, posts are sorted chronologically. I can't create a new post and have it appear before the older ones. Similarly, the thread is listed as being started by whoever's responsible for the first post in the thread, and that's not something I can override either. I don't think the subject is snarky.
Yeah right, "Ultra HD Blu-ray is for suckers" isn't snarky? Don't be cute. It was meant to mock people who question the advantages of the new format—period. How 'bout "Is Ultra HD/4K Really Worth the Upgrade?" That would have been a more thoughtful and intelligent title to encourage discussion and debate. Admit it, you chose to set a negative tone purposefully because you have a gargantuan-sized stick up your arse. You see, I unfortunately have to deal with people like you all the time. You made your decision and you don't want to offer real discussion to anyone who makes a thoughtful argument which challenges your own belief system. You welcome all comments with which you agree and mock an opposing point-of-view. It's pathetic and a real problem in public discourse these days. Your arrogance is more than transparent.

Last edited by AaronSch; 12-16-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

You made your decision and you don't want to offer real discussion to anyone who makes a thoughtful argument which challenges your belief system. You welcome all comments you agree with and attack dissenters. It's pathetic but a real problem in public discourse.
I genuinely don't know what you're getting at. I recognize that there's much about UHD BD and the current state of UHD as a whole deserving of criticism, I don't even have a UHD TV and therefore no skin in the game, and I'm hopeful but have very modest expectations for the format's success.
Old 12-16-16, 04:15 PM
Banned

Fine, if that's true, then change the thread title to something far less confrontational.
Old 12-16-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

Fine, if that's true, then change the thread title to something far less confrontational.
Done.

You do need to cool it about painting those interested in Ultra HD Blu-ray with excessively broad brushes: the whole "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence" routine, "woody over the bragging rights", etc. Those are not the words of someone interested in a genuine discussion.
Old 12-16-16, 04:30 PM
Banned

Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

Done.

You do need to cool it about painting those interested in Ultra HD Blu-ray with excessively broad brushes.
Never did. It was your narrow interpretation of my full comment regarding UHD/4K. There is without-a-doubt a number of people who are early adopters because of what I called "bragging rights." That's why fools line up to get the newest iphone that is essentially the same phone they currently use. It's the same reason many people buy new cars every two years. Yes, it's sometimes about function and features but sometimes it's to show off to the neighbors. To deny that element of the allure of UHD/4K is ignoring reality—and human nature.

Last edited by AaronSch; 12-16-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The only thing that irks me is having to buy two separate releases if I want 3D. The studios are still showing strong support for 3D but I almost feel as if they are making us choose between either one or the other. For those of us that enjoy 3D it's only a matter of time I fear.
Honest question, how many 4K sets output 3D? I realize people can have more than one tv, but it probably isn't worth the additional increase to the pricepoint if it's not a huge overlap.
Old 12-17-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
Honest question, how many 4K sets output 3D? I realize people can have more than one tv, but it probably isn't worth the additional increase to the pricepoint if it's not a huge overlap.
It used to be fairly widespread, but more and more models drop it every year, unfortunately. Some of LG and Sony's most recent models support 3D, but that doesn't span their entire UHD lines -- it's for their higher-end displays only. Samsung dropped 3D support altogether for their 2016 line. AFAIK, no manufacturer other than Sony and LG is currently supporting 3D in their UHD TVs.

Of the 129 UHD TVs on bestbuy.com, only 18 are flagged as having 3D capability. Of the 79 UHD TVs listed on Amazon and sold by amazon.com (as opposed to a third party seller, Warehouse Deals, etc.), 15 are flagged as having 3D support.
Old 12-19-16, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not sure how much of a demo disc this will actually be, but the 60 fps makes me think we'll be seeing 2017 models capable of HFR. Then maybe The Hobbit films at one point I would think.
Old 12-19-16, 01:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,185 Likes on 837 Posts

What is "60FPS vs 24FPS" supposed to mean? That it has both versions in 4k, or some sort of demo of both options, even if only one (presumably, 60FPS) would be on the disc?

Also, this was filmed at 120FPS, yes?

Sounds like something I'd want to rent, just to see it, but I don't have any desire to own it.
Is RedBox renting out UHDs yet?
Old 12-19-16, 01:24 PM
Banned by request

Yes, this one was filmed at 120fps, but i'm guessing it was converted to 60fps to accommodate upcoming TV models that are supposedly able to play 60fps content, as no TV will be doing 120fps for sometime. Definitely not in the next few years. Or maybe? But I agree, no desire to own it. If anything, I'll pick it up during a holiday sale next year for under $20.
Old 12-19-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The closest to accurate 3D presentation would be 720p resolution at 30fps, but they'll likely do it at 1080 24fps instead like The Hobbit movies. I don't even know what theaters in my area played it, but guess I'll never be seeing it.
Old 12-19-16, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,185 Likes on 837 Posts

It still really bums me out that Billy Lynn didn't play at 120fps at any theatres in Houston. I'd have gladly driven across town just to see it, even though every indication pointed to the movie being pretty bad. I'm sure a few hundred other people would have done the same.

Hell, I'd have driven to Austin if I had to! (and I'd stop at TacoDeli on my way to the theatre)
I heard there were only 4 or 5 theatres in the world that played it at 120fps. What a disappointment.

Anyway... yeah. Maybe a $15 blind-buy for me. Otherwise, I'll pass.
Old 12-19-16, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

Come for the tacos, skip the theaters. It pisses me off to no end we don't have one single Atmos enabled theater here. Closest is in San Marcos. To say nothing about any theater doing Dolby Vision and/or HDR.
Old 12-19-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The last numbers I saw had UHD BD quadrupling Blu-ray unit sales when the first few months of their lifespans are aligned. Admittedly, Blu-ray was in the middle of a format war, which prevents any comparison from truly being apples-to-apples, but those are hardly dismal numbers.
But, as you said, not an apple to apple comparison.

Don't misconstrue that as me saying that Ultra HD Blu-ray is some sort of astonishing, runaway success, but by all accounts I can find, UHD BD is performing better than expected (although I'm sure those expectations were very modest).
While it may be performing better than expected, it is, as you said, far from the runaway success that some on this board seem to think it is.

Well, there are only around 100 UHD BD titles on the market compared to however many tens of thousands on BD. It's a new format, so the install base is very small compared to the ten year old Blu-ray. I wouldn't expect them to fly off the shelves in that same way.
I do not disagree with this. in fact, I believe I said that I see hardly anybody actually buying these discs.

I've read that UHD BD sales are significantly higher than 3D BD these days, not that that's not all that high a bar to clear, unfortunately.
Not surprising, and not that difficult as 3d is a largely dead format it seems.

New titles usually come at a $5 premium, and that seems reasonable to me.

Catalog titles are a tough pill to swallow, though. Looking at Amazon, Mad Max: Fury Road is $8.99 on BD but $29.99 on UHD BD. Oblivion is $8.06 on BD and $22.50 on UHD BD. Pacific Rim is $9.99 for the 3D BD set but $31.99 on UHD BD. That'll hopefully change over time, just as it has with DVD vs. Blu-ray, but I don't see a lot of BD->UHD BD upgrades in my future.
Premium I have seen has been $5-10 for new releases. The bigger problem, as you mentioned is the large variance in pricing for catalog titles, which for UHD is pretty much everything that isn't being released right now.
Old 12-19-16, 03:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Not surprising, and not that difficult as 3d is a largely dead format it seems.
And yet companies still put them out for most new releases. Weird.
Old 12-19-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I love 3D on my home TV. It's a better experience than the theater. I'll never figure out why it didn't catch on - it's certainly far less of a gimmick than, say, those silly curved TVs.
Old 12-19-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I love 3D on my home TV. It's a better experience than the theater. I'll never figure out why it didn't catch on - it's certainly far less of a gimmick than, say, those silly curved TVs.
Probably because you need glasses for everyone. I know that we rarely watch them because it's a hassle to get all the kids to put them on, make sure they have charge, etc.
Old 12-20-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Probably because you need glasses for everyone. I know that we rarely watch them because it's a hassle to get all the kids to put them on, make sure they have charge, etc.
If you bought passive there'd be no need for a charge, or batteries, etc. Just slap 'em on and go! I do think the 'dueling formats' situation in the early days of 3D didn't do it any favours, but thankfully we're enjoying something of an embarrassment of riches with 3D titles these days, so clearly the niche survived. I know both sides have their proponents, but I never understood why they even bothered with cumbersome and glitchy 'active' 3D for the home when that format was losing out to the more convenient passive glasses in theaters even then.
Old 12-20-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Probably because it was the only way to get full HD in 3D before the introduction of 4k passive sets. 3D in a 1080p passive had the resolution cut down to 540p for each eye.

Passive 3D on a 4K set has finally perfected the process....but nobody is interested any more.
Old 12-20-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Hardly.
Old 12-20-16, 07:13 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by jjcool
Hardly.
Check on Amazon and come back and tell us that's not the case.
Old 12-20-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There really is no price reason to drop it from sets. It's all marketing. Look at LG with OLED. The B6 (flat) and C6 (curved) are the same model/price with the lone difference of 3D being omitted from the flat model. Obviously not costing LG any major difference if they can sold at the same price. This way they only have to offer one curved set this year and try and push those who want 3D flat panels to a more expensive set.

LG's Passive 3D is pretty much perfect IMO as is. Glasses are weightless, dirt cheap, comfortable and don't need to charge like active models. As someone else mentioned, 4K displays also offer full resolution.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.