DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Walt Disney Animated Classics 2017 Blu-ray releases (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/637984-walt-disney-animated-classics-2017-blu-ray-releases.html)

GuessWho 01-26-17 10:58 AM

Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2017 Blu-ray releases

5 days away and still no Pinocchio preorder on Amazon :sad:

DVD Josh 01-26-17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 12997754)
5 days away and still no Pinocchio preorder on Amazon :sad:

Is it that much better from the previous release?

mattysemo247 01-26-17 01:47 PM

Same audio and video, just some new supplements (and added digital copy):

The Pinocchio Project: When You Wish Upon A Star: A two-part supplement.

The Project (1080p, 3:03): A short making-of featurette for the music video of the same name. It features Musicians JR Aquino, Tanner Patrick, and Alex G and Music Producer Philippe Saisse.

The Video (1080p, 2:49): An updated music video version of Wish Upon A Star featuring JR Aquino, Tanner Patrick, and Alex G. The video intersperses scenes from the film, studio shots, and traditional music video elements.

Walt's Story Meetings: Pleasure Island (1080p, 7:14): Sourced from the transcripts in the Disney vaults, this piece is a vocalized recreation of the story meetings that took place from 1938-1939 while crafting the famous "Pleasure Island" scene. It features sketches and photographs from the design team and interviews from Director Pete Docter and Historian J.B. Kaufman.

In Walt's Words – Pinocchio (1080p, 4:48): Archival footage from 1956 featuring Walt Disney discussing Pinocchio, the methods used in his studio to improve his team and create the film, and the impact of World War II on the studio.

Oswald The Lucky Rabbit In "Poor Papa" (1080p, 5:19): A new cut of a vintage black-and-white animated short featuring Oswald.

Storyboard-To-Film Final Comparison (480i, 4:04): This supplement new to Blu-ray offers viewers both the storyboard original and the final image for selected scenes.

DVD Josh 01-26-17 01:49 PM

Thanks Matt. There is no way I'm upgrading. I'll save my money for Moana. :)

mattysemo247 01-26-17 02:05 PM

Yeah, if you have the previous copy, there is no real reason to upgrade (unless you really need the digital copy). I sold my old copy once it went out of print for a good amount, so I put in an order for the storybook version when Target had the 20% off deal going.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-27-17 07:49 PM

Don't know why it is still not available at Amazon when it is only five days away from release?

What is the suggested retail price at most stores? $22.99?

GuessWho 01-30-17 12:48 PM

Target has it for $24.99, Best Buy has $22.99.

Still no Amazon or Walmart (that I could find).

GuessWho 01-31-17 04:26 PM

Amazon added it today at $22.99

TheBang 04-02-17 09:52 PM

Bambi is the next Signature Collection title. It's due for release on June 6. With that, it looks like Disney is going to a 3 Signature titles per year schedule: Feb, Jun, Oct.

Bambi 2 is also being released at the same time, but it will be a DMC exclusive.

http://i.imgur.com/n0cVJh5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jr8PgIS.jpg

Brian T 04-03-17 08:36 AM

Nice covers, at least. I'm hopeful that they've finally abandoned those design-impaired vertical (!) titles used on the packaging of so many of their classic animation releases of years gone by.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-03-17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 13045317)
Bambi is the next Signature Collection title. It's due for release on June 6. With that, it looks like Disney is going to a 3 Signature titles per year schedule: Feb, Jun, Oct.

Bambi 2 is also being released at the same time, but it will be a DMC exclusive.

What is the third title or the movie that comes out in October

DVD Josh 04-03-17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 13045317)

Unless these offer something substantial over the Diamond Edition (Pinocchio didn't) I probably wont buy.

hdnmickey 04-04-17 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13045907)
What is the third title or the movie that comes out in October

Based on the schedules I've seen, it will be The Lion King. If they follow the Bambi pattern, The Lion King 1 1/12 and 2 may also be re-released as DMC exclusives.

Mike86 04-04-17 09:07 AM

If The Lion King gets re-released I'll have to be sure to get it. I missed the first Blu-ray release. I'm sure I've seen Bambi but only have vague memories of it. It wasn't one that I watched as a kid over and over like some Disney titles.

hdnmickey 04-04-17 09:25 AM

It would be great if The Lion King included all the old DVD features actually on the BD this time.

mattysemo247 04-05-17 02:46 PM

So what's the deal with The Return of Jafar / Aladdin and the King of Thieves? It looks like for now it's a DMC exclusive, but has there been any info if it's going to be available in stores? If I don't hear anything soon, it looks like I'm going to have to grab a copy off eBay.

TheBang 04-07-17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13047379)
So what's the deal with The Return of Jafar / Aladdin and the King of Thieves? It looks like for now it's a DMC exclusive, but has there been any info if it's going to be available in stores? If I don't hear anything soon, it looks like I'm going to have to grab a copy off eBay.

It's been a DMC exclusive for over a year. There doesn't appear to be any movement to make it a general release.

I happen to have an extra new copy for sale. I can knock a few bucks off of it, if you want to do a private transaction, and we can avoid eBay and PayPal fees. PM me.

Michael Corvin 04-07-17 10:14 PM

The DuckTales movie made it to release eventually. I imagine the same will happen for the Aladdin sequels.

hdnmickey 04-08-17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13047379)
If I don't hear anything soon, it looks like I'm going to have to grab a copy off eBay.

Unless you can't access the DVD's, don't do it. Jafar is now cropped like KoT and the quality isn't much better than upscale. I'm glad I held on to my DVD double feature set.

TheBang 06-23-17 12:27 AM

Just FYI, I looked over the new Bambi Signature release. For those concerned about when legacy special features are dropped (compared to previous releases), there's nothing substantial missing compared to the Platinum/Diamond. The biggest things missing are a video introduction from Diane Disney Miller and the Second Screen app functionality.

Also, the Lion King is rumored to be the next Signature Collection release in the fall.

TheBang 07-03-17 01:00 PM

TLK confirmed for fall title:

http://i.imgur.com/SssvQ8O.jpg

DVD Josh 07-03-17 03:09 PM

Doesn't really seem like any reason to upgrade over the previous version (which I have in 3d).

TheBang 07-03-17 03:39 PM

The 3D was the only version that had the digital copy before, and all versions of TLK have been OOP since 2013. So there may be a bit of interest, especially for people who didn't have a chance to get it before.

Edit: Oh, actually, I'm hoping they put a bunch of the legacy DVD special features back on the disc, which were missing from the last Blu-ray version. I'll definitely be checking the reviews for that.

DVD Josh 07-03-17 03:44 PM

I'm just tired of buying these again and again for marginal new content. I bought them all on DVD. Then on BD. Then on BD 3D. No more. I prefer some legacy releases that don't already have a jazzed out SE.

Mike86 07-03-17 03:45 PM

I'll get The Lion King since I missed the first Blu-ray release. I think my DVD may have gone bad as the last time I tried watching it with my parents the player we used wouldn't play it.

Obi-Wanma 07-03-17 03:58 PM

I haven't re-bought anything for a second time on BD, and don't have any plans to. I have no "Signature Collection" titles, and I don't see any reason to.

Still waiting for The Black Cauldron, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros

lisadoris 07-03-17 05:04 PM

Woo hoo. My blu of this drowned a couple years ago so I was hoping Disney would either open the vault or release a new version.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-03-17 05:27 PM

The cover artwork is generic.

Mabuse 07-07-17 06:37 PM

Any chance this will be the original version of the Lion King? Not the version that was spruced up for IMAX?

fumanstan 07-07-17 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13107620)
I haven't re-bought anything for a second time on BD, and don't have any plans to. I have no "Signature Collection" titles, and I don't see any reason to.

Same, I haven't bothered rebuying any of the Animated Classics on Blu-ray. The initial releases i've picked up have been good enough for me.

Nice for those that don't own it yet.

TheBang 07-07-17 11:29 PM

With GotG being the first 4K title, perhaps we can hope that the classics will start being released in 4K too?

Sonny Corinthos 07-08-17 08:33 AM

I've bought The Lion King on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray. I'm good.

OldBoy 07-08-17 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 13107610)
The 3D was the only version that had the digital copy before, and all versions of TLK have been OOP since 2013. So there may be a bit of interest, especially for people who didn't have a chance to get it before.

Edit: Oh, actually, I'm hoping they put a bunch of the legacy DVD special features back on the disc, which were missing from the last Blu-ray version. I'll definitely be checking the reviews for that.

I didn't get a digital copy with my 3D, but I bought that big barrel set. Maybe that's why. Dammit. But, this is one of fav all time, so who knows...

Ranger 07-08-17 10:56 AM

Wonder if 4K BD = 350 points for DMR?

fumanstan 07-08-17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 13109935)
With GotG being the first 4K title, perhaps we can hope that the classics will start being released in 4K too?

I'd love to see this too.

TheBang 07-16-17 03:49 AM

FYI, Aladdin is being vaulted on Aug. 14.

darkhawk 07-16-17 09:15 AM

The best reasons to me to own this new Bambi is that the special features can now be seen on Vudu. Especially to see the Oscar winning Animated Short, The Old Mill in HD. And it is also the only way to get the thought lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit short, Africa Before Dark, also can be seen on Vudu. It was lost until a full copy was recently found. And not on the Disney Treasures.

Same I can say for Pinocchio, including the thought lost Oswald short Poor Papa.

Wish they would have done this for Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

TheBang 07-19-17 04:27 AM

So, it turns out the release date of TLK is actually 8/29. This is interesting in that it looks like Disney might actually be moving to 4 Signature titles per year.

Parts 2 and 1 1/2 will also be issued in new BD+DVD+Digital HD combos packs on the same day.

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/stati...20_1448221.jpghttps://disneymovieclub.go.com/stati...60_1448561.jpghttps://disneymovieclub.go.com/stati...70_1448571.jpg

DVD Josh 07-19-17 07:53 AM

Are any of the Lion King sequels good?

mattysemo247 07-19-17 09:24 AM

Depends on what you call good :lol:

I believe 1 1/2 was basically Timon & Pumbaa watching the first movie and talking over it (mystery science theater style) with some new stuff thrown in. The second movie was better but not by much. Thankfully I only spent a couple bucks on each during one of Hastings sales. I think our kids only watched each one once and they didn't seem very entertained.