DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Walt Disney Animated Classics 2017 Blu-ray releases (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/637984-walt-disney-animated-classics-2017-blu-ray-releases.html)

TheBang 11-06-16 01:57 AM

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2017 Blu-ray releases

2017 Blu-ray releases for the Walt Disney Animated Classics line:

January 31
Pinocchio: The Signature Collection

March 7
Moana 3D

June 6
Bambi: The Signature Collection

August 29
The Lion King: The Signature Collection

Unreleased and unscheduled (5 titles)
6. Saludos Amigos (1943)
7. The Three Caballeros (1945)
8. Make Mine Music (1946)
10. Melody Time (1948)
25. The Black Cauldron (1985)

Nowhere in sight :mad:
Frozen 3D
Big Hero 6 3D
4K UHD

2016 releases
2015 releases
2014 releases
2013 releases
2012 releases
2011 releases

TheBang 11-06-16 03:03 AM

Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2017 Blu-ray releases

Pinocchio has leaked as the next Signature Collection title from a couple online retailers. Here's the cover art:

http://www.eoneplanner.ca/eOnePlanne...t=297&ext=.jpg

It's supposed to go up for pre-order on DMC on Tuesday, so maybe we'll get some more details then.

Also, there is this site:
https://www.disneysignaturecollection.com/

where it lists some more upcoming titles in the Signature Collection (not in order):
Bambi
Fantasia
Lady & the Tramp
Lion King
Peter Pan

E Unit 11-06-16 07:08 AM

Too bad they still won't release the classic Mickey cartoons in HD.

hdnmickey 11-06-16 11:00 AM

Hey look! They are actually releasing a movie Walt was involved with in the Signature Collection line.

If they manage to fix the issue in the "I Have No Strings" scene (shirt changes from yellow to white, then back to yellow) I will repurchase. And hopefully this doesn't repeat the missing dialog issue that needed a disc replacement.

And hopefully this one will actually retain the special features from the prior editions.

E Unit 11-07-16 07:06 PM

Digitalbits announced that Disney is the lone holdout in releasing 4K, but that will change in 2017. I'll assume most, if not all the Marvel movies, possibly Star Wars, and probably a new banner for the classics.

"I’ve also learned – separately, I might add, from other industry sources – that the final remaining holdout studio, Disney, is quietly preparing to begin releasing titles on the format in 2017."

JeffTheAlpaca 11-08-16 05:29 PM

January 24
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f780ef957...bbvso1_400.gif

Giles 11-08-16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12940836)
Digitalbits announced that Disney is the lone holdout in releasing 4K, but that will change in 2017. I'll assume most, if not all the Marvel movies, possibly Star Wars, and probably a new banner for the classics.

"I’ve also learned – separately, I might add, from other industry sources – that the final remaining holdout studio, Disney, is quietly preparing to begin releasing titles on the format in 2017."

... and don't forget those Pixar features.

my fingers are crossed that Disney's 2012 4K restoration of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' on UHD is in the cards as well.

E Unit 11-09-16 06:55 AM

Damn, I forgot they restored that in 4K. I want that on UHD above everything else, including Star Wars. 20k Leagues Under the Sea is my absolute favorite live action movie. Watched it countless times growing up.

TheBang 12-06-16 04:43 PM

Moana will be released on 3D Blu-ray. Pre-orders up on Best Buy, Target, and DMC.

TheBang 12-06-16 04:55 PM

Also, some more details about Pinocchio:

Arrives for the first time on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on Jan. 10, and on Blu-ray™ and DVD on Jan. 31 with hours of new and classic bonus features.

The Walt Disney Signature Collection release includes hours of classic bonus material and exclusive features including a reinvented rendition of “When You Wish Upon a Star” created and performed by music influencers from Disney’s Maker Studios; never-before-seen artwork from the film’s Pleasure Island sequence; archival recordings of Walt himself during “Pinocchio” production; and a recently restored and scored 1927 short featuring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
Bonus Features:
  • Walt’s Story Meetings: Pleasure Island – The Pleasure Island scene in “Pinocchio” had much more development than what is seen in the film. Join Pixar’s Pete Docter and Disney historian and author J.B. Kaufman as they explore artwork recently discovered in Disney’s animation research library revealing some of the attractions, gags and games, which Disney animators created for this iconic location of the film, that never made it on screen.
  • In Walt’s Words – “Pinocchio” – Hear Walt himself discuss the making of “Pinocchio” through archival recordings and interviews.
  • The Pinocchio Project: “When You Wish Upon a Star” – Music influencers Alex G, Tanner Patrick and JR Aquino from Disney’s Maker Studios, a global leader in short-form videos, gather in a creative workspace to create their rendition of the film’s signature song, “When You Wish Upon a Star,” and produce a fresh new music video.
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in “Poor Papa” – This recently restored and scored 1927 short features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who gets multiple visits from the stork and is forced to attempt various methods to help stop the onslaught of baby deliveries.
  • Women in Animation - A feature documentary highlighting the evolution of women’s roles in Disney animation
  • Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as the making of “Pinocchio,” deleted scenes, sing-alongs, storyboards and theatrical trailers.

Best Buy exclusive: Lenticular packaging
Target exclusive: 28-page Storybook

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Ta...t=70&fmt=pjpeg

Steve 12-06-16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12939648)
2016 Blu-ray releases for the Walt Disney Animated Classics line:

January 31

March 2017
Moana 3D

6. Saludos Amigos (1943)
10. Melody Time (1948)

Nowhere in sight :mad:
Frozen 3D
Big Hero 6 3D
4K UHD

fyi- frozen and big hero 6 in 3d are on sale at Zavvi right now for about $13 shipped (each). I just got big hero. These should be region free.

TheBang 12-06-16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 12963612)
fyi- frozen and big hero 6 in 3d are on sale at Zavvi right now for about $13 shipped (each). I just got big hero. These should be region free.

They are. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk. Doesn't excuse the fact that they're unavailable domestically for those who want that option. Especially since Disney seem to have gone back to fully supporting 3D again.

JeffTheAlpaca 12-27-16 05:31 PM

The Best Buy and Target editions

http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/B...0;maxWidth=642

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/imag...t=80&fmt=pjpeg

No pre-order at Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M105H8W

milo bloom 12-28-16 10:25 AM

I should see how my original DVD holds up on my bigger screen nowadays. I'm not upgrading many titles anymore, but Pinocchio would be worth it.

Kedrix 12-28-16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12939648)
2016 Blu-ray releases for the Walt Disney Animated Classics line:

6. Saludos Amigos (1943)
10. Melody Time (1948)

*SIGH*, I'm probably the only one wishing for Black Cauldron on blu. It's a shame that the cut scenes will probably never see the light of day on a decent format.

MScottM 12-28-16 01:03 PM

And the Holy Grail of Disney movies, Song Of The South

Inhumans99 12-28-16 02:13 PM

Kedrix...not the only one, as it would be wonderful if it came out in blu in 2017. I would pry open my wallet to pick it up the week it was released.

Shannon Nutt 12-28-16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MScottM (Post 12977248)

I see no circumstances under which Disney can release that film without huge backlash. It will never see the light of day again.

Jon2 12-28-16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12977445)
I see no circumstances under which Disney can release that film without huge backlash. It will never see the light of day again.

There's nothing wrong with SotS.

DVD Josh 12-29-16 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12977445)

Both WB and Disney have already released historical titles way worse than song of the south.

Frankly, almost anything on Adult Swim is more offensive than song of the south.

I'm sure you have already read it but Leonard Maltin's essay on why the film is important is a good read and justifies its release.

MScottM 12-29-16 02:00 PM

I own a VHS copy of SotS that I got in Japan a few decades ago. I pop it in every once in a while to watch it. Its an okay story but the animation is top notch.

hdnmickey 12-29-16 02:21 PM

A BD release of SotS would indeed be a story, with a level of backlash directed at Disney for releasing it again. But so would (should) Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc. having watched SotS and those other titles within the last decade it seemed everything in SotS was nothing compared to the depictions of Native American in Peter Pan, the crows in Dumbo, etc... Seems that SotS has more a reputation now that is actually far worse than content in the movie. And of course being a huge Disney Parks fan, it's really odd how the the movie is off limits but Splash Mountain is a huge crowd favorite and the characters are out and about in the parks everyday so kids can meet them and pose in pictures with them.

Ranger 12-29-16 09:04 PM

Snow WHite will be 80 in 2017.

Does movie copyright expire after 90 years like with books?

Mike86 12-29-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12976774)

That's a nice looking Steelbook from Best Buy. Was there one for the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Signature edition too?

PhantomStranger 12-29-16 10:29 PM

Song of the South is only coming out from Disney if it ever hits the public domain. Which it won't, Disney has single-handedly kept extending copyright law through its power in Congress.

The same thing is happening to The Dukes of Hazzard. Lots of rumors flying around that WB has permanently shelved the classic television show.

hdnmickey 12-30-16 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12978139)
That's a nice looking Steelbook from Best Buy. Was there one for the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Signature edition too?

Not a steelbook. It's an exclusive, lenticular slipcover.

mattysemo247 12-30-16 08:45 AM

Best Buy had really good looking steelbooks of both the first time they were released on Blu Ray.

b2net 12-30-16 12:21 PM

I think the post about Song of the South was not as an upcoming release but to add to the list of unreleased and unscheduled titles...

Obi-Wanma 12-30-16 01:01 PM

I've still never seen the Black Cauldron. I was 8 years old when it came out and wanted to see it, but when I asked my dad, he took me to Back to the Future instead.

Not that there's anything wrong with that choice, but I still wonder what I missed. I haven't bought the DVD yet because I am still hoping for a Blu release.

Mike86 12-30-16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12978265)
Not a steelbook. It's an exclusive, lenticular slipcover.

Ah I thought it looked like a Steelbook. Glad I didn't order in that case.

TheBang 01-03-17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MScottM (Post 12977248)

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 12978414)
I think the post about Song of the South was not as an upcoming release but to add to the list of unreleased and unscheduled titles...

It's not on the canonical list of Animated Classics™, which is what I try to keep this thread about.

wahlers 01-03-17 06:43 PM

Has anyone on here bit the bullet and bought the copies of Black Cauldron, Three Caballeros, or Saludos Amigos on Vudu?

They are listed as HD but I was just wondering what the quality is like.

They are certainly not favorites of mine so I don't want to spend $15+ each to get possible upconverted copies instead of proper HD copies.

Josh Z 01-04-17 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wahlers (Post 12981018)
Has anyone on here bit the bullet and bought the copies of Black Cauldron, Three Caballeros, or Saludos Amigos on Vudu?

They are certainly not favorites of mine so I don't want to spend $15+ each to get possible upconverted copies instead of proper HD copies.

Most VUDU titles offer a free "2 Minute Preview" feature where you can watch the opening of the movie and maybe get a sense of what it looks like.

TheBang 01-06-17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers (Post 12981018)

They are proper HD versions. Nothing special to write home about. If they ever do decide to put them out on BD, I'm sure they'll use the same master. I'm holding out hope that we'll still get BD's of them, maybe as a DMC exclusive.

wahlers 01-06-17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12983078)
They are proper HD versions. Nothing special to write home about. If they ever do decide to put them out on BD, I'm sure they'll use the same master. I'm holding out hope that we'll still get BD's of them, maybe as a DMC exclusive.

Doesn't sound worth $17.99 each. Thanks for the info though.

I just don't understand why they'd stop with only 3 blu-ray releases left:

The Black Cauldron
double feature of Three Caballeros/Saludos Amigos
double feature of Make Mine Music/Melody Time

JeffTheAlpaca 01-09-17 02:39 AM

Still don't understand why Pinnochio is still not available for pre-order at Amazon unless there is a Amazon vs Disney dispute.

Bandit03 01-09-17 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12984158)
Still don't understand why Pinnochio is still not available for pre-order at Amazon unless there is a Amazon vs Disney dispute.

Maybe? Just went to pre-order Dr. Strange and that's not available either (the digital version is but not the BR/DVD)

JeffTheAlpaca 01-10-17 08:34 AM

Unless you can only buy them if you have Amazon Prime.

GuessWho 01-12-17 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12984158)
unless there is a Amazon vs Disney dispute.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24627...re-orders.html

TheBang 01-12-17 07:14 PM

But that article's 2.5 years old