Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

9/13 Universal Monsters Legacy Collections

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

9/13 Universal Monsters Legacy Collections

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 9/13 Universal Monsters Legacy Collections

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
My source was right. He told me these sets have been in the pipeline waiting for release for like 2 years lol.

I wonder if Universal was planning a tie-in with another dark-universe sequel but it blew up in their face after The Mummy?
I bet that's exactly what happened. I was afraid the Invisible Man and the Creature wouldn't get releases because of Tom Cruise's Mummy folly, but this is even better news. I had already bought the DVD collection, but I only paid 30 bucks so no worries - someone will get a sweet Christmas gift this year!
Old 06-21-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
$150 for 30 films... I can pull the trigger at about $50. I'll wait.
Same here.
Old 06-21-18, 03:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm so down with the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' Collection coming out in August

Old 06-22-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts

Just noticed Universal has a couple of singles of the Abbott & Costello monster shows coming out the same day as the big box.

Meet The Invisible Man
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL8NHPQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL8NHPQ

Meet The Mummy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CWWH1W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CWWH1W
Old 06-22-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Meet The Mummy is already available.
Old 06-23-18, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Is it just me or older b/w movies that are on blu ray don't look that much better than their DVD counterpart.

I remember years ago buying a bunch of WB sci fi movies from the 1950's(Them,etc.) on blu ray and was totally disappointed.
Old 06-23-18, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Is it just me or older b/w movies that are on blu ray don't look that much better than their DVD counterpart.

I remember years ago buying a bunch of WB sci fi movies from the 1950's(Them,etc.) on blu ray and was totally disappointed.
Detail is detail, both b/w and color can take advantage of being upgraded to blu-ray. That said, it is still the quality of the source material that determines how much benefit we get going from standard definition to high definition. A source from film (e.g., 35mm) has the potential to be high definition. I have several blu-rays that are barely better than their DVD counterparts (color and b/w) just because the master is old and the source questionable.

The issue you encountered may have been the use of an optical (photographic process) within a shot to create an effect that was common in 50's Sci Fi. An optical, in this case, can come from including a shot that required multiple exposures to get the desired results. Each exposure can reduce detail and thus lessen the quality when upgraded to blu-ray. When a quality source is used it is generally just the scenes based on an optical that may appear to be lesser quality, and some movies have more optical effects than others. My recollection is that "Them" is an excellent transfer to blu-ray for the non-optical scenes, but yes it does use opticals at times and they would appear to be lower quality.

It isn't just Sci Fi movies. I'm sure you have seen both color and b/w movies where a person is driving a car and what you see behind them is low quality. In this case, it was filmed on a stage and the background is nothing more than a rear projection screen projecting as if they are driving on a real road. In other cases, they may use a filter to diffuse the image, this can also reduce detail.

In the end, it is not a b/w vs. color issue, but just the shape of the source material and how it was filmed that determines how much better a blu-ray can look from a DVD.