Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could you stop collecting cold turkey?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm speaking of course to those who consider themselves "collectors."

I don't think I could, its not the biggest part of my life, but its definitely a part of my life. I would have trouble not buying a movie I really love, or a great new special edition with a new transfer and extras of a movie I already own on dvd.

Its a part of my daily life, coming to this board and blu-ray.com, searching deals, searching new releases from smaller collector labels. Doing the annual Barnes & Noble Criterion sale, trying to find the best deal possible.

It would take a real concerted effort to stop this cycle of collecting. Its a lot of fun. And probably the only thing in my life that would be classified truly as a "hobby".

DVD's/Blu Rays/wrestling vhs and to a lesser extent records and books.

The reason I pose this question is because in my lifetime at some point I'm probably going to have to make the decision to stop collecting for a number of reasons. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 01-28-16, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Could you stop collecting cold turkey?

If I HAD to, but then I'd be watching what I had a lot more!
Old 01-28-16, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

If they stopped making all physical media yes

I think I have several plastic crates full of dvds and the one big one I got in 2015 is almost filled now
Old 01-28-16, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 251 Posts

No I could not. It is my one addiction in life (besides the hookers, gambling & heroin).

And that reminds me, I would love to see the film Cold Turkey on Blu-ray. One of the funniest films ever.
Old 01-28-16, 06:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If they stopped selling it, then yes. But since physical media will more than likely never go away, then I'll probably keep collecting on some level.
Old 01-28-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
If they stopped selling it, then yes. But since physical media will more than likely never go away, then I'll probably keep collecting on some level.
Same here.

I go through stages where I buy less and then suddenly start buying more. Usually a new speaker, projector, player, etc. triggers it. It also depends on what is being released and the quality.

My buying jumped up recently with acquiring not only a Region Free player but also a 3D projector.
Old 01-28-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could probably stop collecting blu-rays if I wanted. I've slowed down my buying quite a bit, but still am in deep with my Criterion obsession with 380 blu-rays and 400+ on dvd).

However, I couldn't stop collecting something entirely. It's part of my personality, and I've always collected things since I was a kid. From comics to baseball cards to music cds to laserdiscs to dvds to blu-rays, there's always been something. If blu-rays drop off, I'd just end up moving on to something else.
Old 01-28-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with those who say if physical media went away, I'd be done. Also, I kind of did quit once for a time (I guess it's not quitting if you come back).. haha. When your health is on the line, collecting stuff isn't really top of mind!
Old 01-28-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I believe that I could. I'm also hopeful that will never be put to the test.
Old 01-28-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to die, I think that I could then stop collecting, cold turkey. Barring that event, its not likely.
Old 01-28-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Only if I stopped seeing new movies. There will always be new movies each year I want to own. And there are also a handful of DVD's which haven't made it to Blu-ray yet. But my spending on movies is way down from a few years ago.
Old 01-28-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

If I had to do it, I know I could. There have been a few times that I have been looking for a job and money was scarce. The movie collection was the first thing to be dropped.

Come to think of it, there was a time before Blu-ray that my DVD collecting had pretty much come to a stop. Blu-ray sort of brought me back into it.
Old 01-28-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I didn't do cold turkey, but in the past couple of years I've reached a level where my wishlist is no longer as extensive as it was. It's also more refined, which means when I go into a used DVD store, the odds of me finding a title I'm looking for are way down. More often than not, I'm walking out of the shops empty handed these days. I used to force myself to buy something so it wasn't a wasted trip, but I've come to enjoy just browsing so I no longer feel bad about not getting something.
Old 01-28-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Only if I stopped seeing new movies. There will always be new movies each year I want to own.
That sums up my take on collecting movies on disc very well. I ahve cut my buying way down from the days of dvd. If I buy 2 blue ray titles a month now that is a lot. Back in the days of DVD, there were a lot more titles that were a lot cheaper than the titles nowadays.
I have stopped actively collecting other items in the past. But I am always in the process of collecting something, it seems.
Old 01-28-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

If I wanted to I could for sure but I enjoy collecting. I like going to the stores to look at the new releases every week and to see if there's any interesting titles or deals to be had. Also just like owning movies and having them displayed on my shelves and stuff.
Old 01-28-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Probably not. I like to watch things when I want rather than relying on streaming, and I have made some digital purchases.

I've dialed back on my collecting a lot, but have gotten somewhat sucked back in by superlow prices on recent releases, cheap four-packs, and boutique labels.
Old 01-28-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If I HAD to, but then I'd be watching what I had a lot more!
Anyone else not believe this?

As for me, I've slowed down buying physical media considerably so at this point I could quit pretty easily.
Old 01-28-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

No.

I'm a collector at heart and come from a long line of collectors - it's genetic.

I currently collect movies, music, comics, books, and a small group of specific toys. Other than comics, which are a weekly, and currently shrinking, habit, I may go for weeks without making a purchase and then stumble upon a sale and pick up dozens of items in a day. I'm always on the lookout for that "rare" or "hard-to-find" title my collection "needs." Every time I get my various wishlists down to "manageable" lengths and think I'm about "done" with one of those areas someone will introduce a "new" film, artist, and/or author and the lists grow again.
Old 01-28-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

No, I wouldn't stop. If I did, it would require an intensive 12-Step program.

Just kidding.

Even if they quit producing physical media there will always be a vibrant used market which is much more interesting, as a collector, than buying new from a store.

It is also a relatively inexpensive hobby (unless you are a gotta-have-it-on-day-1 collector) as you can pick up DVDs for as little as $.50 a piece.
Old 01-28-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I say "no".

I'm a lifelong collector like some of the others here. Trading cards, comic books, video games, Magic: The Gathering, DVDs, toys, books, laserdiscs, vinyl.

As I got older, I realized most of the things weren't giving me satisfaction. As a kid I collected baseball cards because I found the hobby interesting but I found the actual game of baseball to be one of the most torturous events ever created (second only in excruciating boredom to American football). But I collected them because it was a neat hobby.

In the past years I've cut down my hobbies, I got rid of my vinyl and laserdisc collection because they were so bulky and just not worth the trouble. I got rid of most of my comic books (re-bought some in nicer looking TPBs). I've cut down my book collection since my wife and I both own Kindles.

My two main collecting venues now are DVD/Blurays and Magic: The Gathering, and I've been buying less and less of each. DVDs (as noted earlier) because I'm reaching a point where I've got most of what I want and Magic because I don't get as many opportunities to play anymore. I buy a few of each new set and add them to the collection.

But I don't think I could give up either. My wife pushes me to go digital for TV/Movies, and we have for a lot of things, but some things just need to be collected. I have almost every MST3K title released on DVD (I just need the two latest sets). I have almost every Classic Doctor Who DVD, plus most of the Godzilla and Gamera titles.

I'm a collector, I couldn't totally quit, it's just not my nature.
Old 01-28-16, 05:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Collecting movies/TV media? Easy! But I'd just substitute it with more focus on my other collecting hobbies.
Old 01-28-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did. I ran out of room so I started selling a few of my rarer ones on Ebay and they went for a lot. So I sold my not-so-rare. Then my commons. And they kept buying them. THEY KEPT BUYING THEM. Then I figured I could burn Netflix DVDs and the next thing I know I've sold all 500+ and I've got over 2 grand in the bank.
Old 01-28-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I just did. I ran out of room so I started selling a few of my rarer ones on Ebay and they went for a lot. So I sold my not-so-rare. Then my commons. And they kept buying them. THEY KEPT BUYING THEM. Then I figured I could burn Netflix DVDs and the next thing I know I've sold all 500+ and I've got over 2 grand in the bank.
How much did you spend to get the 2 grand?
Old 01-28-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

No I won't stop buying it if it came out.

Old 01-28-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe if the ones I order online always arrive in bad condition or have a bad streak of blu-rays in messed up condition it would be easier to stop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.