Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Babadook -- April 14th, 2015 (Shout/Scream)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scream Factory Facebook Page

We are BEYOND excited to report that Scream Factory and IFC Midnight have joined forces to bring the internationally-acclaimed (and hotly discussed) thriller THE BABADOOK to DVD, Blu-ray and a Special Edition Blu-ray on April 14th!

Special features are as follows:

SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY EDITION:
• Director-Approved Limited Run “Pop-up Book” slipcover packaging (Note:The wrap itself inside will be the art reflected on the standard Blu-ray edition)
• Director Jennifer Kent’s short film MONSTER
• Deleted Scenes
• Cast and Crew interviews and a look behind-the-scenes of the making of the film:
- Creating The Book with illustrator Alex Juhasz
- A Tour of the House Set
- The Stunts: Jumping the stairs
- Special Effects: The Stabbing
• Theatrical Trailers

Pre-order now on Amazon, other fine online retailers or our site directly @ http://bit.ly/Babadook

DVD & STANDARD BLU-RAY EDITIONS:
• Cast and Crew interviews and a look behind-the-scenes of the making of the film:
- Creating The Book with illustrator Alex
- A Tour of the House Set
- The Stunts: Jumping the stairs
- Special Effects: The Stabbing Scene
• Theatrical Trailers
Pre-order now on Amazon, other fine online retailers or our site directly @ http://bit.ly/Babadook-Standard

Named one of the Top Ten Films of 2014 by the New York Time’s A.O Scott, New York Magazine’s David Edelstein, and Slate’s Dana Stevens, THE BABADOOK is one of the most celebrated genre films in recent history. Winner of three 2015 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards, including Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay and Best Direction, The Babadook has earned rave reviews from critics and audiences alike. Star Essie Davis’ captivating performance as the tormented Amelia has won Best Actress at Fantastic Fest, Sitges International Film Festival, and the Toronto After Dark Film Festival; as well as earning Best Actress nominations from across the globe, including San Francisco Film Critics Circle, London Critics Circle, Houston Film Critics Society and the Australian Film Institute. Heralded as deeply heartfelt yet genuinely frightening, THE BABADOOK is a must-own for all fans of genre cinema.
And, yes, in typically Scream Factory fashion, we do have a reverse image on all editions. Check it out!

Spoiler:
One of my favorites from last year. The slipcover matching the cover design for the book in the film is a nice touch.
Old 01-31-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, that's a long wait. Want to see this, I've been hearing all about it.
Old 01-31-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Babadook -- April 14th, 2015 (Shout/Scream)

I wish that limited edition set would be available on Amazon. Shout Factory charges $5.99 for a single BD delivery. Fuck that.
Old 01-31-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wish that limited edition set would be available on Amazon. Shout Factory charges $5.99 for a single BD delivery. Fuck that.
Pretty sure it's this one, labeled as "Deluxe Packaging": http://www.amazon.com/Babadook-Speci.../dp/B00S4YGWD8

You can see the pop-up design in the additional images, which has red coloring along the edges:

Old 01-31-15, 11:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i ordered it. the movie didn't wow me, but it was slightly haunting and very well done. plus, i am a sucker for unique packaging...
Old 01-31-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i ordered it. the movie didn't wow me, but it was slightly haunting and very well done. plus, i am a sucker for unique packaging...
And yet you said in another thread in this forum, "i think i am a compulsive spender on blu-rays and it's not good. i am having serious regret. anyone else?"

I think that you just negated the "i think..." part of your statement. It should probably be replaced with "I have verified that...".

Take an hour or two to rethink your pre-order. If the film didn't wow you, why would you buy it? Do you see yourself rewatching it multiple times? If you only want to see it once more, then rent it online from Amazon Prime for $7 and save the money and the space you'd take up with the Blu.

It's not too late to cancel it, and that would be a positive first step in coming to grips with your problem.

I'm only trying to help, OldBoy.
Old 01-31-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Pretty sure it's this one, labeled as "Deluxe Packaging": http://www.amazon.com/Babadook-Speci.../dp/B00S4YGWD8

You can see the pop-up design in the additional images, which has red coloring along the edges:

Oh.Yes.

Pre-ordered!
Old 01-31-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Pre-ordered as well.
Old 01-31-15, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
And yet you said in another thread in this forum, "i think i am a compulsive spender on blu-rays and it's not good. i am having serious regret. anyone else?"

I think that you just negated the "i think..." part of your statement. It should probably be replaced with "I have verified that...".

Take an hour or two to rethink your pre-order. If the film didn't wow you, why would you buy it? Do you see yourself rewatching it multiple times? If you only want to see it once more, then rent it online from Amazon Prime for $7 and save the money and the space you'd take up with the Blu.

It's not too late to cancel it, and that would be a positive first step in coming to grips with your problem.

I'm only trying to help, OldBoy.
i know, i know...
Old 02-01-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Unique packaging isn't enough of a draw for a movie I only want to see one more time. Unless you're gonna look at the packaging each day.
Old 02-01-15, 06:06 PM

it is a sickness, what can i tell ya...
Old 02-01-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
it is a sickness, what can i tell ya...
It truly is a sickness, and I fight it every day. I lost a battle yesterday, when I bought five DVDs without cases for $1.49 + tax each on a whim, but today I'm fighting the battle again. There may be relapses along the way, but overall I'm feeling good about getting this under control.

I think that, as a first step, you should stop starting threads bemoaning the fact that you've got a problem when you don't do anything about correcting that problem. It's sort of like an alcoholic asking a friend to meet him at a bar to talk about how awful it is being an alcoholic. It kind of reeks of insincerity, you know?

If you REALLY want help, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Anytime that you're about to buy something you don't need, give me a call and I'll try to talk you down off the ledge.

And to steer my post back onto topic, I can't justify a blind buy on The Babadook, and I certainly can't justify spending extra money for spiffy packaging. In fact, in 30-plus years of collecting I've NEVER bought a movie based strictly on how it was packaged, and I can't see starting that now. I know that there are those who enjoy collecting steelbooks and monkey heads and snow globes and such with their discs, but for me, the movie or TV show is the only thing that I care about. In fact, non-standard packaging actually pisses me off, because it screws with my shelving.

I'm going to take my own advice and rent it via Amazon in the next week or two.
Old 02-05-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Amazon updated the "Deluxe Packaging" pre-order page (this one) to reflect that it comes with the faux-book slipcase, currently priced at $19.99. Here's another image:

Old 04-22-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to toss out there that this is on Netflix streaming.

We picked up a copy from a local library and watched it tonight. It was pretty good, but nothing that I would feel like I would watch again.
Old 04-24-15, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just wanted to toss out there that this is on Netflix streaming.

We picked up a copy from a local library and watched it tonight. It was pretty good, but nothing that I would feel like I would watch again.
Thanks for the heads up on Netflix.
Old 04-26-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Watched this tonight and have to say I didn't love it. It was okay and had some good creepy aspects to it, but I didn't care for either of the two leads. As far as possession type films I've seen better by far. Overall I'd say it was worth a watch once but probably wasn't the best blind buy.