Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica The Original Series May 12. 2015

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battlestar Galactica The Original Series May 12. 2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Battlestar Galactica The Original Series May 12, 2015

I checked and could not find any posts for this

There is a definitive and a remastered set coming out in 2015

Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection includes over 4 hours of bonus features, including over 3 hours of deleted scenes from Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series. The collection also includes featurettes such as "Glen Larson on the Creation of Battlestar Galactica" and "Stu Phillips: Composing the Score" with an inside look at the creation of this remarkable production, and "Remembering Battlestar Galactica," a 45-minute documentary illuminating the journey and impact of this ground-breaking series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 12-13-14 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica The Original Series May 12. 2015

One thing I feel should be pointed out...

According to the press release for these sets, the Definitive Collection contains the series in both OAR 4X3 and cropped 16X9 formats. HOWEVER, the Remastered Collection contains ONLY the cropped 16X9 transfers.

So if you want the original aspect ratio, you have to buy the more expensive of the two sets.
Old 12-11-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not really interested in this, but it sucks having to pay a premium for OAR.

If you don't like the original 4:3 ratio, then use the zoom function on your tv.
Old 12-11-14, 05:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Do I 'have' to keep my DVD set for any old extras, or can I sell it now?
Old 12-11-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I missed something, the German version of the same set (same transfers) was pretty underwhelming and not worth the purchase if you have the DVD set. Seems that BSG didn't get the same treament as the Star Trek TOS or TNG series. I've even held off buying the "movie" BD since it's really only an edit of the pilot and cropped.

Too bad because the new extras sound interesting.
Old 12-11-14, 07:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/112282165" width="500" height="278" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish the series got the TOS CGI remaster treatment.
Old 12-11-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

If one wants to sample beforehand, the original Battlestar Galactica movie has found its way into Walmart's dump bin for $7.88.
Old 12-11-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/112282165" width="500" height="278" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish the series got the TOS CGI remaster treatment.
Agreed. As a satisfied owner of the current Complete Series DVD set, I would gladly double dip for that.
Old 12-12-14, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Includes Galactica 1980 as well
Old 12-12-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Unless I missed something, the German version of the same set (same transfers) was pretty underwhelming and not worth the purchase if you have the DVD set. Seems that BSG didn't get the same treament as the Star Trek TOS or TNG series. I've even held off buying the "movie" BD since it's really only an edit of the pilot and cropped.
I can't speak to what the German Blu-rays look like. However, Battlestar Galactica is not the same situation as Star Trek TNG, which was shot on film but edited and post-produced on video. Galactica was fully post-produced on film. It could be rescanned and remastered without the extensive restoration work needed for TNG.

It's more like Star Trek TOS. The updated visual effects for TOS were primarily a marketing gimmick, and were not strictly necessary to "restore" the show (which is why the Blu-rays have both versions).

Would updated visual effects for Galactica be nice? Maybe, but the show doesn't have a fraction of the fan base as Star Trek, so it would be a lot harder for the studio to justify the expense.
Old 12-12-14, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do people really watch ST TOS, with the cgi?
Old 12-12-14, 10:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
I prefer it yes.

IMO it's done tastefully and subtly... it's not like George Lucas got his hands on everything and put CGI walls, and aliens, and bullshit everywhere. It feels like it really belongs...
Old 12-12-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do people really watch ST TOS, with the CGI?
That's what they show in syndication now. It isn't my preference, but it's actually done fairly tastefully.

Originally Posted by TGM
I prefer it yes.

IMO it's done tastefully and subtly... it's not like George Lucas got his hands on everything and put CGI walls, and aliens, and bullshit everywhere. It feels like it really belongs...
Yeah, whoever did it was clearly doing it with respect for the original work.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I can't speak to what the German Blu-rays look like. However, Battlestar Galactica is not the same situation as Star Trek TNG, which was shot on film but edited and post-produced on video. Galactica was fully post-produced on film. It could be rescanned and remastered without the extensive restoration work needed for TNG.
Even the FX shots were done on 35mm? Cheesy as it looks now, I bet some of the stuff in that show was expensive back in the day.

It's more like Star Trek TOS. The updated visual effects for TOS were primarily a marketing gimmick, and were not strictly necessary to "restore" the show (which is why the Blu-rays have both versions).
Wasn't the FX work for TOS done with composting which would've made mastering the old effects unfeasible?

Would updated visual effects for Galactica be nice? Maybe, but the show doesn't have a fraction of the fan base as Star Trek, so it would be a lot harder for the studio to justify the expense.
I just wish Netflix would put up the new series again. I was just ogn to watch it, bastards .
Old 12-12-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
I prefer it yes.

Agreed. The only reason I don't own the full series of TOS and TNG BD's with he new effects is cost. Already have both series on DVD.

But I havee recently watched the individual TNG episode BD's and thought they were really well done. Would only watch the originals now for comparison purposes.

For me, the key was that everything I have read aobut the BSG BD is that they didn't even do a worth remaster of the original elements. New effects would be great, but really would be fine with the original as-is if it looked (and sounded) far better before spending the money to double dip. But as it stands, it's nto even worht picking up the "movie" BD givne the lack of upgraded quality. And damn if I don't love this series.
Old 12-12-14, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Given that this isn't even going to be released until May 2015, do we know for sure whether it will be the same master as the German set or could it be based on a brand new master that has been given the care it deserves. I really don't care about new FX, just a solid presentation of what it was originally.
Old 12-12-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Yeah, that's not a selling point.
Old 12-12-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I watch the enhanced version, it was done with far more care and respect for the original product than say Lucas' revisionism to Star Wars.
Old 12-12-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yeah, that's not a selling point.
Never meant it was or wasn't a selling point. I thought I was simply adding clarification of content as others were.
Old 12-12-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Just another reason it should be priced for lower than it is.
Old 12-12-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bsmith
Given that this isn't even going to be released until May 2015, do we know for sure whether it will be the same master as the German set or could it be based on a brand new master that has been given the care it deserves. I really don't care about new FX, just a solid presentation of what it was originally.
Unless I've missed somehting, the word is it's the same masters which were the same used for the DVDs as well.

Count me in with everybody else not seeing the inclusion of the 1980 series as a selling point.
Old 12-12-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been quite a while, but IIRC, the episode with Starbuck stranded with the Cylon from the 1980 series is decent and worthy of inclusion.
Old 12-15-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Even the FX shots were done on 35mm? Cheesy as it looks now, I bet some of the stuff in that show was expensive back in the day.
Yes, everything was shot on film.

Wasn't the FX work for TOS done with composting which would've made mastering the old effects unfeasible?
I believe the word you're looking for it "compositing." Composting is something very different.

Compositing just means that two or more different film elements are merged into one. For example, you shoot an image of a spaceship against a green-screen (or blue-screen, back in the day). Then you shoot an image of a starry backdrop. Then you shoot an image of a big planet. Then you composite them together so it looks like the spaceship is flying past the planet with stars in the background.

Before digital compositing became available in the 1990s, old-school film compositing involved physically laying one strip of film over the other and then rephotographing that onto a new strip of film. Each composite was a dupe one generation removed from the last. With every additional image layer you had to composite, you'd lose another generation of quality. That's why the special effects shots in old movies and TV shows are typically so grainy and washed out, often with dirt and grit embedded in the composites.

Big-budget feature films would sometimes shoot the SFX on 70mm film so that, after generational loss, the final composite would be comparable in quality to the 35mm footage around it. But low-budget TV shows like Star Trek and Galactica didn't have that luxury.
Old 12-15-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This is one of those releases I'm going to wait and wait on a lower price for. I'd like to own it, but it's not worth busting the bank over.
Old 12-16-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

If the 16:9 screen ratio episodes in the less expensive bluray version turn out to be crap with zillions of complaints, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up becoming dump bin fodder within two years or so.
Old 06-06-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

There is a recall on one of the widescreen discs... I sent the email but haven't heard back yet.

I'm happy to have the whole definitive set but the fullscreen version is definitely the way to go for me.

Here's the relevant info on the recall:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/060515_1315

“There is missing footage during the episode, THE MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS, on disc 3 of the widescreen version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on both the Remastered Collection and Definitive Collection. The issue is being fixed and consumers can get a replacement disc by emailing [email protected]. Consumers should include, “Battlestar Galactica Classic Collection: BD” in the subject line of their email and the following text in the body of the email, “I would like to receive a replacement disc for (Disc 3, Episode “The Magnificent Warriors”).”

Within 24-48 hours, consumers will get a response asking for their mailing address in the United States or Canada. Shortly thereafter, they will receive a postage-paid envelope for them to mail in their disc with the missing footage from THE MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS. 2-3 weeks later they will receive a replacement disc with the complete episode.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.