Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there plans for a non Diamond Edition Beauty and the Beast?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-08-14, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all I'm new here and I got a Blu-Ray player a year ago. I am a big fan of Disney movies especially from the renaissance. Unfortunately I missed out on buying the Beauty and the Beast Diamond edition Blu-ray when it was still sold in stores before it went back into the vault. I've seen many places online to buy it either used or leftover stock but it is way too expensive. I don't want to have to pay 80 or a 100 dollars for a used disc. So since I've seen other Diamond Edition Blu-Rays get released in another version does anyone know if it's a possibility that this will happen with Beauty and the Beast?
Old 08-08-14, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Are there plans for a non Diamond Edition Beauty and the Beast?

None of the Diamond Edition Blu-rays have been re-released in another version. I wouldn't expect BatB to come back out for a couple years, either as a second-round Diamond Edition or in a new deluxe line (like how Diamond replaced Platinum).
Old 08-08-14, 08:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The vault is closed. You must wait for the vault to open again - probably in the next 5-10 years.
Old 08-08-14, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It's like $40-$50. A slight premium of what we all paid when it initially came out.
Old 08-08-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It's like $40-$50. A slight premium of what we all paid when it initially came out.
I (and many others) got it for 8 bucks + tax at TRU on release date. So more than a slight premium.
Old 08-08-14, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I (and many others) got it for 8 bucks + tax at TRU on release date. So more than a slight premium.
You are a small group of the central buyers of that film that got it at that price.

I'm sure the millions of other copies sold did not get it for $8, especially since it was re-released later on with a 3D Disc.

But I guess I can say how I got brand new DVDs for $1 back on 1999 and apply that to everything.
Old 08-08-14, 09:47 AM

All I'm saying is that if you want to collect Disney movies and you don't want to pay thru the nose, you have to be on the ball about release date deals (or play the Disney Movie Club game)
Old 08-08-14, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
All I'm saying is that if you want to collect Disney movies and you don't want to pay thru the nose, you have to be on the ball about release date deals (or play the Disney Movie Club game)
From the OP

Hello all I'm new here and I got a Blu-Ray player a year ago.
Old 08-08-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect most people purchased the previous BD for under $25.00. It was constantly on sale for less than $20 right before going back into the vault.

Disney's release MO really sucks for the consumer looking to buy at retailers. But it's awesome for those that look to resell their old copy right before any new release comes out. Almost always dump the old copy for $10 or so more than I pay for the new release.

Personally I always recommend people that must have at OOP Disney vault title buy one release back and just wait for the next new release. In this case that would equal the old two disc Platinum DVD release. It was quite good for it's time and like new copies can be purchased from resellers pretty cheap.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-08-14 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
From the OP
It was more in reference to the fact that a lot of us are deal hunters here, so most of us didn't overpay (I took "we all" in your first post as in reference to the members of this forum, which is why I took exception ,but in retrospect, you were probably talking about the general public). Also I was buying these kinds of releases before I had a Blu-ray player, because it came with the DVD and it was usually cheaper than just buying the DVD.

Of course, none of that helps him now with B&TB, but for future reference.
Old 08-08-14, 10:51 AM
Banned by request

However, it doesn't help with the OP's search for B&TB.

For the OP, you may want to try EBay. Based on the sold prices, you're looking at paying $25-$50, not $80-$100.
Old 08-08-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
For the OP, you may want to try EBay. Based on the sold prices, you're looking at paying $25-$50, not $80-$100.
Yeah, I'd check there as well. Always gives me a chuckle at some of the prices on Amazon's third party section...
Old 08-08-14, 11:05 AM

However, it doesn't help with the OP's search for B&TB.
I said that myself. My comments were to Gizmo more than the OP, but as I said, I probably misunderstood him, so sorry if that was the case.
Old 08-08-14, 11:18 AM
Banned by request

We'll see if the OP even comes back to this thread.
Old 08-08-14, 07:32 PM

We'll see if the OP even comes back to this thread.
Sorry I'm here I was working all day. Thanks for all of your responses so quickly. I definitely don't want to wait 5+ years to get it again. But I don't feel comfortable with Ebay since things I've gotten there before sometimes were in bad shape or not the right thing. But I see on Amazon still has some new ones left in their stock for around $60 to $80 depending on what version you get so I might try there. Do we even know if physical media will still be produced in five years from now since it could be all streaming. So maybe Beauty and the Beast may never be released on physical media again.
Old 08-08-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdt1985
Do we even know if physical media will still be produced in five years from now since it could be all streaming. So maybe Beauty and the Beast may never be released on physical media again.
It's a legitimate question that has been debated on this board many times. But Disney titles will probably be the cockroaches of physical media, surviving when everyone else has given up.
Old 08-08-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't recommend trusting Amazon is going to be great condition unless you were to buy something supposedly new, and even that can be iffy. Not that much better than ebay unless it's new, and then it isn't as much of a savings.

It's a good bet Disney will put out 1 more release of each of their movies. They wouldn't even have to wait the old default number of years for movies that went in the vault.

I've found that if you find an eBay seller that has a lot of positive feedback from selling like new BD's it's an acceptable risk. And if you overpay a little, maybe you'll be able to sell it before the next release for a similar amount.
Old 08-08-14, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Sorry I'm here I was working all day. Thanks for all of your responses so quickly. I definitely don't want to wait 5+ years to get it again. But I don't feel comfortable with Ebay since things I've gotten there before sometimes were in bad shape or not the right thing. But I see on Amazon still has some new ones left in their stock for around $60 to $80 depending on what version you get so I might try there. Do we even know if physical media will still be produced in five years from now since it could be all streaming. So maybe Beauty and the Beast may never be released on physical media again.
If you enjoy collecting blu rays, then just have fun with it. The debate on physical media demise will continue, as will physical media itself for the foreseeable future. Regarding EBay, just make sure whoever you buy it from has 100% positive feedback, or very close to it. Usually people post pictures as well. It's not a bad place to get blu rays on the cheap.
Old 08-08-14, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I wouldn't recommend trusting Amazon is going to be great condition unless you were to buy something supposedly new, and even that can be iffy. Not that much better than ebay unless it's new, and then it isn't as much of a savings.

It's a good bet Disney will put out 1 more release of each of their movies. They wouldn't even have to wait the old default number of years for movies that went in the vault.

I've found that if you find an eBay seller that has a lot of positive feedback from selling like new BD's it's an acceptable risk. And if you overpay a little, maybe you'll be able to sell it before the next release for a similar amount.
What I saw from Amazon said that it was coming directly from Amazon and not a particular seller but maybe that still isn't true. It said they had 8 left in stock last time I checked but I don't want to spend that kind of price if it's risky. Do you know if there would be any FYE stores that would still be selling used copies? I might try calling them to see and would be willing to pay a high price because I trust them.
Old 08-08-14, 08:22 PM

Amazon doesn't sell it directly anymore, anything you buy from there is a third party seller. Now it may be fulfilled by Amazon, but that just means they have it in their warehouse and they will ship it to you, but there's a third party seller who is paying them to do that and he's the one who sets the prices.
Old 08-08-14, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I saw from Amazon said that it was coming directly from Amazon and not a particular seller but maybe that still isn't true. It said they had 8 left in stock last time I checked but I don't want to spend that kind of price if it's risky. Do you know if there would be any FYE stores that would still be selling used copies? I might try calling them to see and would be willing to pay a high price because I trust them.
You will not find retailers like Amazon and FYE selling new copies because Disney forces them to be returned once the vault date hits. But the FYE near me does sell 2nd hand discs and maybe somebody could have turned one in on trade.

At Amazon it would have to be some 3rd party. They can be new, but there is not the same confidence that is actually new like if it was Amazon direct.
Old 08-08-14, 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your help I think I will try Ebay since you all think Amazon is not the best option.
Old 08-08-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also keep an eye out at gohastings. They get used copies in from time to time.

http://www.gohastings.com/product/MO...s#.U-V_hGK9KSM

Right now they have the DVD + blu ray copy for $56.58. You can use coupon code ROCKETRACCOON to knock it down to $39.61.