Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Krull coming to BD from Mill Creek - 9/30

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Krull-Blu-ray-...464330&sr=1-94
Old 07-15-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Krull coming to BD from Mill Creek - 9/30

Well, at least it's not Twilight Time!

I'm going to guess no supplements will be on this.
Old 07-15-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Hopefully it'll look and sound good. I really love this movie.
Old 07-15-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-15-14, 07:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

pre-ordered!
Old 07-15-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Mill Creek? Ugh!

I think they should be called: Run of the Mill Creek.
Old 07-16-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Right, because if it was Twilight Time, there might be a chance that it could have a good transfer. With Mill Creek, you can be guaranteed a crummy old transfer squeezed onto a single-layer disc with a bit rate that barely hovers in the single digits. Consider yourself lucky if the disc has better than stereo audio.

When a major studio plans to license out a catalog title, the way it typically works is that a premium label like Twilight Time will get first crack. If the video master the studio provides is in really poor shape, Twilight Time will pass. Next it goes to Olive Films or Image or similar middle-of-the-road labels, which have much lower standards. If the quality is so bad that no one else wants it, Mill Creek scoops up the dregs. Because Mill Creek absolutely does not care what the discs it releases look or sound like.
Old 07-16-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Right, because if it was Twilight Time, there might be a chance that it could have a good transfer.
I won't deny that you're very knowledgeable when it comes to home media, but you really come off as arrogant and condescending in a lot of your posts. Between this and the way you presented your argument in the Criterion Thief thread, I have a hard time reading most of what your write.

Thanks for your insight as to what transfers are available to niche distributor outlets. I'll be sure to remember that next time I say anything.
Old 07-16-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much every label has put out crappy transfers, so the point is also completely off the mark . Until the product is avialble for purchase, it's a simple matter of faith with every pre-order.

Think it will be different if it's a tent pole title being put out by a big buget label? Think again. There are too many expcetions out there that prove it's pretty much a crapshoot on every release.

It's funny that for awhile there I was dumping my DVD copy, or barebones BD, any time a new blu-ray reelase was official. Learned that lesson the hard way and keep every old disc until it's proven to be 100% expendable because that particular new BD gets it right.
Old 07-16-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Pretty much every label has put out crappy transfers, so the point is also completely off the mark .
Yes, pretty much every label has put out crappy transfers, including Twilight Time. However, Mill Creek puts out almost nothing but crappy transfers. Of every Blu-ray the label has issued, how many have not been total garbage?

As I said, if this Blu-ray was Twilight Time, there might be a chance that it could have a good transfer. Not a guarantee, but at least a chance. With Mill Creek, there's little chance of that. If Mill Creek has the movie, the original studio considers it a dump-title.
Old 07-16-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't deny that you're very knowledgeable when it comes to home media, but you really come off as arrogant and condescending in a lot of your posts. Between this and the way you presented your argument in the Criterion Thief thread, I have a hard time reading most of what your write.
Do you consider your previous post in this thread ("Well, at least it's not Twilight Time!") to be something other than arrogant and condescending? What was your point or intent in making that comment?

Your post was a snarky potshot made completely out of context with the conversation in this thread. Twilight Time is not releasing Krull. Twilight Time never indicated that they might release Krull. So why would you bring up Twilight Time at all? Because you felt like being sarcastic, that's why.

I'm sorry, Mr. Pot, but I'm just tired of the anti-Twilight Time vitriol in forums like this. I'm no more a fan of paying $30+ for catalog titles than you or anyone else, and I don't love every release the label has put out. But at least I can understand the company's business model and appreciate that the majority of their releases have been high quality.

If Twilight Time releases a movie that I feel is worth paying $30 to own, I will buy it. If they release a movie that I don't feel is worth $30, I won't buy it. If they release a movie with a poor transfer, I won't buy it. Simple as that. No whining and moaning about, "Oh those evil Twilight Time bastards are selling a movie I want for more than I want to pay. How dare they? HOW DARE THEY?!"

If your attachment to the movie Krull is such that you won't pay more than $10 for it, don't act surprised when the Mill Creek disc is a total p.o.s. Because that's exactly what you're going to get. That's Mill Creek's business model. They put out p.o.s. discs for people who refuse to pay more than $10 for a Blu-ray.

Last edited by Josh Z; 08-18-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
However, Mill Creek puts out almost nothing but crappy transfers.
Total BS. And as for Krull specifcially, we'll just have to wait and see. I will admit I would never pre-order a MC title, but that goes for TT, Universal, and Warner catalog titles as well.

As for the rest of the rant, I think you more than made My Other Self's point for him.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-16-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for the rest of the rant, I think you more than made My Other Self's point for him.
Yeah, I couldn't even digest most of it. Anyone that feels the need to justify their forum history in a long-winded rant because I jokingly made a comment about Twilight Time isn't worth reading.

If anything, I've mentioned (numerous) times how I don't particularly have an issue with Twilight Time's model. The pricing sucks, but that comes with the territory in 2014 (as Shout's $80 Night Breed LE showed).

Whatever makes him sleep at night. Stay classy, Josh!
Old 07-16-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anything, I've mentioned (numerous) times how I don't particularly have an issue with Twilight Time's model. The pricing sucks, but that comes with the territory in 2014 (as Shout's $80 Night Breed LE showed).
Isn't that the truth. But personally, all that will do is make me ignore Shout like I currently do TT. And before people go on about you must have missed how it was with early VHS and LD... no I didn't. Didn't buy then due to price, pure and simple. My DVD and BD collection is large based on the current affordability. No more affordability -> collection stops growing!
Old 07-16-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Some might argue quality > quantity. Just saying.
Old 07-16-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Total BS. And as for Krull specifcially, we'll just have to wait and see. I will admit I would never pre-order a MC title, but that goes for TT, Universal, and Warner catalog titles as well.
Please list off all the excellent quality Mill Creek Blu-rays you have watched.
Old 07-16-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I couldn't even digest most of it.
Shocking.

Please explain the purpose of your "At least it's not Twilight Time!" comment in this thread, then.
Old 07-16-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thrown onto Wish List. It's $10 now, all Mill Creek discs go to about ~$5 eventually. But certainly want (even if the transfer is probably only slightly better than dvd). And while Mill Creek doesn't do the best job with their transfers, many of the movies they throw out there wouldn't see blu-ray light of day else wise, so I'll take it.
Old 07-16-14, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What possible good could come from such a statement? Total thread bait. Then you get a bite and act dismayed? C'mon.
Old 07-16-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by soop
What possible good could come from such a statement? Total thread bait. Then you get a bite and act dismayed? C'mon.
Anything I've said in this forum about Twilight Time hasn't been overtly negative. My post was in jest, given how many people here do bitch and moan about how expensive their licensed titles are.

I'm not dismayed by anything. Josh Z's history of posting (as recent as the Thief thread, which I already alluded) usually includes long-winded, condescending responses to people so he can puff his chest about his knowledge of film and make others feel like they're idiots because they don't "get it" like he does. This isn't anything new.

I'll remember the winky face next time.

Last edited by My Other Self; 07-16-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I agree that Mill Creek is willing to put out any transfer they can get their hands on, including very suspect Hi-Def transfers.

Working in our favor this time is that Mill Creek licensed Krull from Sony. Sony has occasionally provided them quality HD transfers for licensed BDs. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony in fact suggested Krull to them on the basis of a decent-looking master. There is some hope.
Old 07-16-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not dismayed by anything. Josh Z's history of posting (as recent as the Thief thread, which I already alluded) usually includes long-winded, condescending responses to people so he can puff his chest about his knowledge of film and make others feel like they're idiots because they don't "get it" like he does. This isn't anything new.

I'll remember the winky face next time.
You mean the one where it was basically stated that if your opinion differed from his you must not know film history?

And don't forget the goal post moving... This time when it was pointed out that all studios are guilty of putting out crap releases.
Old 07-16-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Working in our favor this time is that Mill Creek licensed Krull from Sony. Sony has occasionally provided them quality HD transfers for licensed BDs. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony in fact suggested Krull to them on the basis of a decent-looking master. There is some hope.
Hasn't most of the Sony related releases been very good, or even great? Not sure what is up with that scenario, but with Sony it seems like the quality is there and they could have just distributed it themselves, but we get the MC label.
Old 07-16-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the most surprising thing is how much passion the movie Krull has inspired in this thread!
Old 07-16-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think the most surprising thing is how much passion the movie Krull has inspired in this thread!
Just imagine if they got their hand on Beastmaster and there was a solid release date.

Seems like Krull, Beastmaster, or Highlander was always on some channel, some where.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.