Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Mallrats" BD somewhat disappointing

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-19-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The seamless branching feature isn't as seamless as it looks (there's a hiccup between scenes); not all the easter eggs are there, and screen-within-a-screen commentary from the 2000 release is not there.

That said, it has a lot of good stuff. I'm still glad I got it.
Old 04-19-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: "Mallrats" BD somewhat disappointing

I never understood the appeal of the extended cut. I remember seeing the deleted scenes on the 98' DVD and thinking they weren't anything special.
Old 04-19-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

The EE cut is horrible. Glad I kept the HD-DVD.
Old 04-19-14, 07:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Any new content?
Old 04-19-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

It kind of bothered me that I couldn't get to the menu without starting the film first and going to the pop up menu. Also I watched the extended cut for the first time and thought it was okay but didn't flow quite as well as the theatrical.
Old 04-19-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It kind of bothered me that I couldn't get to the menu without starting the film first and going to the pop up menu.
I think that's Universal's new thing now. It could just be for catalog titles, but a lot of the stuff I've watched from them over the past few months has been that way.
Old 04-19-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When there are two different cuts of a movie on a DVD or Blu-ray, I prefer that they put each cut in its entirety on its own layer. Seamless branching may result in a higher bitrate, but that seamless branching tends to be not so seamless. It annoys and distracts every time.
Old 04-19-14, 08:58 PM

This is the missing easter egg from the 2000 DVD:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W1APXxlEIpw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grrrr.....
Old 04-19-14, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Any new content?
Not that I know of. I never owned the 2005 Mallrats EE version on DVD, so I don't know.
Old 04-20-14, 06:08 AM

The seamless branching feature isn't as seamless as it looks (there's a hiccup between scenes)
Is it worse than it was on the 10th anniversary DVD? I think on there they explained it was because it was edited on film or something like that, so there were missing frames.

Sorry, just saw you said you didn't have the EE.

Last edited by Jcheckel; 04-20-14 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-20-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like the only extra missing from the Blu-ray is the production photographs (from the Anniversary DVD).

According to dvdcompare, the easter eggs are on the blu-ray, as is the full 1 hour of deleted scenes (from the original DVD, and was not on the Anniversary DVD)
Old 04-20-14, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
According to dvdcompare, the easter eggs are on the blu-ray, as is the full 1 hour of deleted scenes (from the original DVD, and was not on the Anniversary DVD)
The easter eggs from 2005 version maybe there, but not from the 2000 version.
Old 04-20-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The seamless branching feature isn't as seamless as it looks (there's a hiccup between scenes); not all the easter eggs are there, and screen-within-a-screen commentary from the 2000 release is not there.

The hiccup between scenes, if I recall correctly, isn't due to the seamless branching. It was like that on the DVD; it's due to how they edited the cut together.

I was surprised to see that they included the giant block of deleted scenes from the original DVD, since that wasn't ported over to the 10th Anniversary DVD. Overall, I was happy with the extras on the set. I was more disappointed about the noticeable amount of filtering used on the PQ (although it's not nearly as bad as, say, Weird Science).

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Looks like the only extra missing from the Blu-ray is the production photographs (from the Anniversary DVD).

As Pat said, it's missing the Easter Eggs from the original DVD. It's also missing the PIP Video Commentary footage from the first DVD as well (which I'm not surprised about, since that wasn't ported over when the 10th Anniversary DVD was released).

*shrug*

Admittedly, I would ideally like everything from previous releases to be ported over to the newest one, but I see why some of it was ultimately lost. I still plan on keeping my original DVD (since I got Michael Rooker to autograph it), so at least I can still watch it with the PIP commentary if I so choose.
Old 04-20-14, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
The hiccup between scenes, if I recall correctly, isn't due to the seamless branching. It was like that on the DVD; it's due to how they edited the cut together
Pretty sure you're correct; that's the assumption I was under as well.
Old 04-21-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I think that's Universal's new thing now. It could just be for catalog titles, but a lot of the stuff I've watched from them over the past few months has been that way.
It's definitely their new method for catalog stuff...not sure if they're doing this with recent theatrical movies or not.
Old 04-21-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Also, the disc contains Mallrats.
Old 04-21-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seamless branching feature isn't as seamless as it looks (there's a hiccup between scenes); .
that is also on the dvd extended cut release too. it was there because sometimes a frame or 2 would be missing when seemlessly putting cuts back in
Old 04-21-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The EE cut is horrible. Glad I kept the HD-DVD.
the theatrical cut is on the blu ray too
Old 04-24-14, 05:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I think there are more easter eggs missing. According to DVD Compare, these easter eggs were on the 10th Anniversary DVD:

Spoiler:
Side A
- While on the Main Menu, move to Scenes (if you’re not there already) and press up to cause a flame to appear above the Mallrats header. Select it to see a 0:46 clip about what Kevin Smith has learned over the course of his years as a director since shooting Mallrats.
- From the Main Menu, go into Scenes. On the first page, move to Chapter 6. Press down to make the word BAM!! appear. Press Enter to see a 1:56 ad for Jay and Silent Bob’s Secret Stash, featuring Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, and Jason Lee.
- From the Main Menu, go into the Languages. Now move to Francais 2.0 and press right 2 times to make a second exclamation point appear to the left of Brodie. Press Enter to see a hilarious 2:10 interview clip with Jason Mewes interviewing Jason Lee.
- From the Main Menu, go into the Bonus Features. Move to Outtakes and press left to reveal Silent Bob’s launcher device. Press Enter to see a hidden clip of Director Kevin Smith and View Askew Historian Vincent Pereira. They will give you a hard time because you’re looking for Easter Eggs on this DVD. Do note that this hidden footage was on the first release of the Collector’s Edition of Mallrats.
Side B
- While on the Main Menu, move to Bonus Features and press left 2 times. You should reveal some Force waves emitting from Silent Bob. Press Enter to see a 0:40 deleted scene based on how you see Jay and Silent Bob on the Main Menu.
- From the Main Menu, go into the Scenes. Now go to the third page. Move to Chapter 14 and press up to reveal the word SNIKT!! Press Enter to see a 2:40 segment called “Pearls Of Wisdom . . . With Stan Lee.” You will see Stan Lee talking about his part in Mallrats.
- From the Main Menu, go into the Bonus Features. Move up the only bonus feature here, Mallrats: The Reunion. Now press up 2 times to reveal a blue X to the right of the option. Press Enter to see a 1:11 series of outtakes showing Jason Lee (as Brodie) holding up a pair of panties asking if his mother ever wore a pair like them.
- From the Main Menu, go into the Languages. Move down to Menu. Press left twice to reveal the phrase Snoochie Boochies!! Press Enter to see a 1:00 series of outtakes showing Jay as he’s doing some cheering from behind a curtain.

The Blu-ray only has these:

Archival Easter Eggs:
-"Kevin's Make-up" featurette (0:45)
-"Pearls of Wisdom with Stan Lee" featurette (2:39)
-"Do It" featurette (1:00)
-"Jason Mewes Dance" featurette (0:39)
-"Jason Lee" featurette (1:10)
-"Lee & Mewes" featurette (2:09, SD)

Still, good to have all the View Askewniverse films on BD.
Old 04-24-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I just bought Mallrats for the 5th time:

VHS - DVD - Anniversary DVD - HD DVD - Blu-ray

I think that's the record for me...no, wait. Star Wars. VHS - Widescreen VHS - DVD - DVD with original versions - Blu-ray.

Cheesy slipcover though.
Old 06-26-20, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/mall...ith-september/

Mallrats, Kevin Smith's beloved second film, is getting an epic release on Blu-ray this September by Arrow. The release will include three different versions of the film: theatrical, extended, and a tv cut of the film. Arrow has restored all in association with Smith himself. The real treats here are the exhaustive list of special features. The release features commentaries, interviews with pretty much anyone involved in the making of the film, deleted scenes, featurettes, outtakes, q&a, and lots more. Basically, if you enjoy Mallrats, this is going to be the version to own. Check out the new cover for the release below, and the full list of features as well. This will release on September 29th.

Special Features and Technical Specs: LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new restoration by Arrow Films of both the Theatrical and Extended cuts of the film, approved by director Kevin Smith and cinematographer David Klein.
  • Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity
  • Collector's booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp
  • Fold-out poster featuring replica blueprints for 'Operation Drive-by' and 'Operation Dark Knight'

DISC ONE – THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS
  • Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary with director Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, archivist Vincent Pereira, and actors Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Jason Mewes
  • Brand new introduction to the film by Kevin Smith
  • My Mallrat Memories – and all-new interview with Kevin Smith
  • A newly filmed tribute to producer Jim Jacks by Kevin Smith
  • Brand new interview with actor Jason Mewes
  • Brand new interview with Cinematographer David Klein
  • Hollywood of the North: A newly produced animated making-of documentary featuring Minnesota crew members who worked on the film
  • Deleted Scenes – Kevin Smith and Vincent Pereira discuss deleted scenes and sequences originally cut from the film
  • Outtakes and behind the scenes footage
  • Cast interviews from the original set
  • Erection of an Epic: The making of Mallrats – archival retrospective with cast and crew looking at the making and release of the film.
  • Q&A with Kevin Smith – archival Q&A filmed for the 10th anniversary
  • Build Me Up Buttercup music video
  • Stills galleries
  • Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO – TV CUT
  • Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity
  • Original stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new introduction to the TV cut by director Kevin Smith
  • Stills gallery of the comic books featured in the film's opening sequence
  • Easter eggs

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/mall...ith-september/
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (07-01-20)
Old 06-26-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Nice. I've been wanting to grab Mallrats on blu for awhile now but never pulled the trigger. It's clearly been awhile since I watched it, so I was itching to buy it. I guess I wait a little longer.

Amazon Amazon
pre-order is $40 which is absurd.
Old 06-28-20, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Amazon pre-order is $40 which is absurd.
I think that’s full list price. It’ll be discounted later. Also, B&N usually has a 50% off Arrow sale in Nov. or Dec.
Old 06-29-20, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

My favorite Kevin Smith film. Day one purchase for me. Arrow and Kevin are a great pairing. They both love going the full 9 yards to add everything humanly possible to a physical media release. One could only hope this is a success and Chasing Amy comes next, followed by Dogma.
Old 06-29-20, 06:54 AM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll definitely be picking it up, but unfortunately it looks like it's missing a couple old features. There's the "View Askew's Look at Mallrats" feature from the original DVD and the "Mallrats: The Runion: Tenth Anniversary Q&A" from the Anniversary DVD, both of which were on the Universal Blu-ray. There's also the video commentary, which isn't surprising since it hasn't been seen since the original DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.