Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD, or: How do I learn to let go?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 05:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I've got about 100 HD DVDs. I'm going to catalog them this week.
There's maybe 3 or 4 I plan to keep as mementos.
I'm seriously considering dumping the rest.

What's the best way to go about getting rid of them now, in 2014, over six years after the format was declared dead? Ebay? DVD exchange forum? Garbage? Make a table out of them?

I'm mostly looking for input from the people who actually owned some of these discs before. All 5 of you. I don't really want to do the Ebay route, as I'd rather not deal with the inevitable "Dude, these discs don't work in my Blu-ray player. What the hell?!" emails.
Old 02-24-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: HD DVD, or: How do I learn to let go?

Goodwill?
Old 02-24-14, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skeet...

Just kidding, sort of... I was fortunate to get out early and gave my stuff to a friend who had an HD DVD player and was happy to get some movies he didn't have.

Check E-bay, that's about the only option.

I can't think of any other secondary market re-seller that will take them. (If they do you'll literally be getting pennies on the dollar, at best, more likely 1/4 pennies on the dollar.)

fitprod
Old 02-24-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You might get a few bucks if you throw them all in a lot on eBay, but otherwise they are sadly worthless. I only have 2 left myself, Midnight Run and Breach, because Universal has yet to release them on Blu.
Old 02-24-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have mine although I have double dipped on a few to get the Blu-rays. Half.com still has HD DVD's but unless the title hasn't been released on BR yet, it's worth
Old 02-24-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I still have a player but dumped all the discs a while back. Figured I'd keep the player just as a back up DVD player at the time but don't think I'll ever really use it.
Old 02-24-14, 09:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Goodwill?
Would they even take them?

Originally Posted by fitprod
Skeet...
I thought about it...

Just kidding, sort of... I was fortunate to get out early and gave my stuff to a friend who had an HD DVD player and was happy to get some movies he didn't have.

Check E-bay, that's about the only option.

I can't think of any other secondary market re-seller that will take them. (If they do you'll literally be getting pennies on the dollar, at best, more likely 1/4 pennies on the dollar.)
I don't expect to get more than $1/title, if that. I also don't know anyone locally who would just take them.

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
You might get a few bucks if you throw them all in a lot on eBay, but otherwise they are sadly worthless. I only have 2 left myself, Midnight Run and Breach, because Universal has yet to release them on Blu.
I just told my wife that someone else online (you) still has Breach, and she said she almost fell asleep as I told the story (she thought it was terribly boring, so any time I mention it, she jokes about falling asleep during the conversation. I loved it.)

[QUOTE=JimRochester;12024261]I still have mine although I have double dipped on a few to get the Blu-rays. Half.com still has HD DVD's but unless the title hasn't been released on BR yet, it's worth
Old 02-24-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Goodwill takes anything. I have seen HD DVDs with their DVDs sometimes.
Old 02-24-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Might want to check any Warner discs to make sure they still play (and other discs made by their manufacturer, such as many Eagle Rock and Magnolia titles.)
Old 02-24-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd take them to Goodwill. If anything they're a tax write off.
Old 02-24-14, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll give you $80 and you can ship the media mail to me.
Old 02-24-14, 11:40 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

You should check Amazon Trade-In. About a year or two ago I sent in a bunch of HD-DVDs and got around $1-$3 each. The prices have probably dropped since then. But there might be a few discs still worth a buck or two.
Old 02-25-14, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gizmo's offer sounds pretty decent actually. I had a few rare imported titles that I was able to get some worthwhile prices for on Ebay, but still much less than what I paid for them initially. Most titles aren't worth the trouble individually, and Amazon's trade-in prices for HD-DVD's have dropped off considerably. I'd recommend selling them in bulk to who ever will have them to save yourself time and hassle. I've gotten out of the HD-DVD format completely at this point - another innocent victim of the format war.
Old 02-25-14, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm keeping all of my HD-DVD import titles. I do have quite a few regular titles that I'd part with but I may not since I don't want to re-buy the fucking thing(s) on Blu-ray. Why double-dip if I already have it? I still have a brand new HD-DVD unit sealed in a box in case my main unit stops working.

I treasure my Pan's Labyrinth French import Boxed set and La Vie En Rose on HD-DVD.
Old 02-25-14, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Why double-dip if I already have it? I still have a brand new HD-DVD unit sealed in a box in case my main unit stops working.
+1

The only titles I've double dipped on were from coupons I had from U&S that I had to use up or go to waste. It was better to double dip than to basically throw out a DVD title. Or maybe it wasn't?
Old 02-25-14, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'll give you $80 and you can ship the media mail to me.
You should seriously take this offer.
Old 02-25-14, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

A friend of mine still has the 360 add on and movies. I remember the Sunday morning it was announced that WB was pulling out of HD-DVD. I had my whole collection sold that night, and caught some shit here for it. But the prices were still good, and I bought a PS3 and a bunch of Blu's the next day.

And take Gizmo's offer.
Old 02-25-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
You should check Amazon Trade-In. About a year or two ago I sent in a bunch of HD-DVDs and got around $1-$3 each. The prices have probably dropped since then. But there might be a few discs still worth a buck or two.
Amazon only lists about 20 HD DVDs, and most of those are 25 cents for trade-in if they're brand new (meaning still in shrink wrap). If they're open, but in good shape, you'll get about 2 cents each for them.

They do want $3 for THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN, so if the OP has that one, he can get a few $.

Better selling them all together to an interested party.
Old 02-25-14, 08:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only saved 12 because they've never been upgraded or the BD is from the same source. My HDA1 is in my HT and is used for my upscaling.
Old 02-25-14, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Seriously, my offer is shockingly good.

I have maybe about 200 or so HD DVDs (I've upgraded some to Blu-ray, others I kept because the HD DVD looked better ((The Thing)) ), but these things are essentially worthless now. Its been six years since the format folded and many of the HD DVDs are already on Blu-ray, and typically bargain priced already (i.e. Constantine is like $5 on Blu or $15 in a 4 pack).

Trying selling on eBay and you get people who think it'll work in their "Upscaling DVD Player" (even when you tell them flat out it won't). It's a gamble. $80 to me is worth the gamble to fill out my collection and sell off/trade the extras. I'm essentially giving you $1 a pop, which is far more than you would get from Amazon. Seriously. I have no idea why I am even offering that much but I really like opening boxes and being surprised.

I also have an XA2 so they will be going to a good player (the 360 Add-on is so fucking loud. I am used to Blu-ray players not being so quite I essentially tossed the player back into the closet).
Old 02-25-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just another chiming in it's basically not worth your time to try and sell them separately. Take what you can get and be done with it.

I have maybe a handful of discs left that weren't worth selling when I replaced them with a Blu-ray. I was able to move my HD-XA2 for $200 clear late last year, but my HD-A1 and and HD-A20 are probably near worthless at this point like the discs. If anyone's interested in them, PM me an offer. They were barely used and I was the only owner.
Old 02-25-14, 09:17 AM
Suspended

I can't even sell my extra XA2.

I won't part with my XA1 (ever) or my XA2, but I literally have stacks of A3s, A2s etc. in my garage.
Old 02-25-14, 09:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the input. I think there's a few avenues worth exploring, at least. I wasn't expecting any offers from members here but it's good to see that there's interest.

Gizmo, your offer is really good, and I would seriously jump on it... BUT, I'm in Canada, so shipping to you would probably end up costing one or both of us too much extra to make it worthwhile. Cross-border + 100 discs/cases = heavy + big + not cheap, no matter how you look at it.

I'm probably going to set aside the ones I'm keeping (like Breach!) and toss the lot on kijiji (Canada's craigslist). If someone bites, great. If not, I'll just make sure they take up as little room as possible on my shelving unit.
Old 02-25-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I can't even sell my extra XA2.

I won't part with my XA1 (ever) or my XA2, but I literally have stacks of A3s, A2s etc. in my garage.
Mine moved on Amazon Marketplace. I think I left it up there for a few months around $219 and cleared just under $200 IIRC. Might be worth a listing if you want to move it.
Old 02-25-14, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to look into what films matter to keep on that format. Sometimes they hit BD and they didn't work out as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.