Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - April 8

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - April 8

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - April 8

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
They could change the frame rate to 50fps and it would technically be within the boundaries of HDMI 2.

HDMI 1.4 can support 3D at 50fps at a max resolution of 720p. HDMI 2, with the increased bandwidth, should support 3D at 50fps at 1080p.
But then we'd have a 3:2 pulldown type deal or, even worse, something akin to PAL speedup.

At least movies like Avatar 2 should be fine since the rumor is that Cameron wants to shoot at 60fps. HDMI 2.0 can handle that at 1080p.
Old 02-24-14, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you just get the 2-D Blu-Ray, won't it just be 24 FPS anyway? Most of this stuff, at least at this point, seems to be connected to 3-D.
Old 02-24-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

As mentioned by others, the Blu-ray format does not support the 48fps frame rate that this movie was shot in.

Theoretically, it could be possible to encode a 2D 48fps version of the movie on a 3D disc, with frames alternating from eye to eye. That would get you the higher frame rate, but you can't get 3D and 48fps at the same time, and the 48fps version was only intended for 3D in the first place. Also, you'd force viewers to wear 3D glasses to watch a movie that's not in 3D.

For commercial reasons, that's a total non-starter.
Old 03-28-14, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Any scuttlebutt on store exclusives?

Target is going to have a Lego(las) mini set:

I can't find anything from Best Buy, but last year they had an exclusive edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey that came with "A Hobbit's Tale, Part 1." Which sort of implies there will be a "Part 2."

Also couldn't find anything from Walmart; they had a digibook exclusive for An Unexpected Journey. I would figure that the folks who bought that one would like to have a matching Desolation (and There and Back Again when it comes out).

Not particularly interested in the Lego set, though I do sort of like the artwork with Will and Kate. I would be interested in getting a Best Buy exclusive that has "A Hobbit's Tale Part 2" if I can.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-28-14 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We got the Lego set for part 1 so we'll definitely be picking up this year's Lego set.
Old 03-28-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

God, the wait for that mega Middle Earth boxed set is going to be a long one. It'll probably be this December to coincide with the third movie for the DOE EE and then ANOTHER year for the TABA EE and then the boxed set after that. And lest I forget, it'll have to have the 3-D discs in it too. Damn. God made me many things, but he didn't make me patient.

LEGO-las? Ha ha, that's kind of funny. I'm surprised they're doing the big boxed set with the statues and stuff, you'd think they'd be saving that for the EE.
Old 03-31-14, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also couldn't find anything from Walmart; they had a digibook exclusive for An Unexpected Journey. I would figure that the folks who bought that one would like to have a matching Desolation (and There and Back Again when it comes out).
I'm one of those folks hoping someone has a digibook version of this to match by 'Unexpected Journey' although I would have expected to hear/see something at this point if there was going to be one.
Old 03-31-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

No mention of a digibook in next weeks ad..

Spoiler:
Old 03-31-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I rented this last night on DVD and wow that was the longest 2 hours and 41 minutes of my life. I probably only understood about 1/2 of what was going on. Granted, I hadn't seen the 1st movie since December 2012 even though I own the extended edition BD. I guess I should have watched it first to refresh my memory. There was just so many characters to try to follow.

I'm probably still going to pick this up when it officially drops on the 8th, but I think I really need to see the 1st movie again and re-watch this one.
Old 04-01-14, 01:04 AM
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wish they'd at least put these out in 30 frames per second instead of 24. I won't watch these until they put them out in something close to the original frame rate (tried to see both in theaters but just didn't have the time!)
Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Movies are meant to be 24 fps. Peter Jackson is wrong about frame speed. Movies lose their cinematic quality when viewed at higher than 24 fps--they turn into ugly soap operas.

Movies aren't meant to be real-time "reality," they are meant to be an augmented visual form.

If you want 30 fps, turn on the 'Enhanced Motion' setting on your TV.
Old 04-01-14, 01:05 AM
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

I didn't see this in the theater, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on Blu-Ray.
Old 04-01-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I rented this last night on DVD and wow that was the longest 2 hours and 41 minutes of my life. I probably only understood about 1/2 of what was going on. Granted, I hadn't seen the 1st movie since December 2012 even though I own the extended edition BD. I guess I should have watched it first to refresh my memory. There was just so many characters to try to follow.

I'm probably still going to pick this up when it officially drops on the 8th, but I think I really need to see the 1st movie again and re-watch this one.
Why would you buy it if you didn't like it?

Originally Posted by Mark Honbo
Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Movies are meant to be 24 fps.
There were people fiddling with faster framerates long before digital came into the picture, it's just finally made it possible to realize it. Given that I have about as much use for 3-D as a hole in the head and most of this currently relates to 3-D, it's not of much use to me, but that isn't to say that there isn't an artistic use for different framerates somewhere down the line. Some would even argue that 24 FPS was a limitation which has finally been overcome. I'm not one of them, personally, but hey, I'm not an artist, a filmmaker, a technician, or anything of the kind, I'm a shumck with a keyboard.

Peter Jackson is wrong about frame speed. Movies lose their cinematic quality when viewed at higher than 24 fps--they turn into ugly soap operas.Movies aren't meant to be real-time "reality," they are meant to be an augmented visual form.
I don't know if we can definitely say what exactly what cinema is or is not, I would hope that it continues to evolve lest it die. Though given the current state of cinema...

My Luddite ass is still figuring out half of the settings on my cheap-o HTDV .
Old 04-01-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

So Target's exclusive is just a toy, and Walmart doesn't look like it's getting an exclusive? Any word on Best Buy?
Old 04-01-14, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
So Target's exclusive is just a toy, and Walmart doesn't look like it's getting an exclusive? Any word on Best Buy?
That toy is probably going to be worth $15-$20 if it is never released on it's own in the states.
Old 04-01-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Honbo
Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Movies are meant to be 24 fps. Peter Jackson is wrong about frame speed. Movies lose their cinematic quality when viewed at higher than 24 fps--they turn into ugly soap operas.

Movies aren't meant to be real-time "reality," they are meant to be an augmented visual form.

Nothing of what you said is why films are shot at 24 fps. 24 fps was chosen because it was the least amount of frames per second that studios could get away with before motion became too choppy. This was done as a cost saving decision. Nothing about 24 fps had anything to do with "cinematic quality" or it being an "augmented visual form". What is ocurring is that people have become so accustomed to 24 fps that anything above that suddenly looks "wrong" to them.
Old 04-01-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Lego is no mere "toy"! It is an experience! And it shall be mine!
Old 04-01-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why would you buy it if you didn't like it?

I never said I didn't like it. I guess I wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch a 161 minute movie. I like the series and all the previous LOTR movies. However, as I said, a lot of time passed since I saw the 1st Hobbit and I honestly didn't recall much of the plot or characters. I did myself a disservice by not watching the 1st movie again.
Old 04-01-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Best Buy ad is out. No exclusives.
Old 04-01-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

LEGO-las? Ha ha, that's kind of funny.
Old 04-01-14, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They'll probably hold out on the exclusives for the upcoming extended and extended 3D editions.
Old 04-02-14, 03:21 AM

The U.S. has failed me. I grabbed the U.K. steelbook instead this time.
Old 04-02-14, 06:06 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
They'll probably hold out on the exclusives for the upcoming extended and extended 3D editions.
I doubt it, considering that for the first one, the theatrical had a few exclusives, and the extended didn't have any.
Old 04-02-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've been buying the 3D theatrical versions now and will pick up the EEs when they're in a combo set later on.
This.
Old 04-02-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
This.
x2
Old 04-02-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
No mention of a digibook in next weeks ad..

Spoiler:
Well that's disappointing. I should have known part 2 wouldn't get a digibook release the second I scanned part 1 at checkout last year.

I try to keep my OCD to a minimum but I still cringe a little when my DVDs/Blu-rays don't match up on the shelf. Especially when it's the same film series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.