Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Robocop (remastered) - 21/1/14

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Robocop (remastered) - 21/1/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I would think it'd be dumb not to have Verhoeven "approve" the new transfer - has anyone seen the new DCP of the film - how does it look?
There's a new DCP of this?
Old 11-05-13, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Robocop (remastered) - 21/1/14

First I've heard of this.
Old 11-05-13, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

as far as I know, yes, someone over at blu-ray.com saw a Los Angeles screening of it.

this event:

Old 11-05-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
If that's the case, if verhoeven signs off on a 1:85 transfer for the new blu-ray, are people still going to be pissed about the ratio?
Some people will take any excuse to be pissed off about anything. Realistically, however, both ratios are valid. Honestly, splitting the difference to full-screen 16:9 wouldn't be a bad compromise either.

(Jeffrey Wells' head may explode if that happens, which would be another bonus for the rest of us.)
Old 11-05-13, 04:00 PM
Banned

Who is Jeffrey Wells?
Old 11-06-13, 11:40 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fingers crossed that it's a decent release.
Old 11-06-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Who is Jeffrey Wells?
He's the nutbag who runs the Hollywood Elsewhere blog. On numerous occasions, he has flown off the handle and ranted about trivial aspect ratio differences in movies. He screamed bloody murder that the Criterion Blu-ray of Rosemary's Baby was transferred at 1.85:1 (under the supervision of Roman Polanski, mind you), when Wells had it in his mind that the movie should be 1.66:1 based on... nothing. Polanski himself posted on the blog that Wells was wrong, which only made him even more indignant about the whole thing.
Old 11-07-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never even heard of a 1.66 version of RB, to my knowledge, there never was one, I always thought that 1.85 has always been it's native ratio.
Old 11-07-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
He's the nutbag who runs the Hollywood Elsewhere blog. On numerous occasions, he has flown off the handle and ranted about trivial aspect ratio differences in movies. He screamed bloody murder that the Criterion Blu-ray of Rosemary's Baby was transferred at 1.85:1 (under the supervision of Roman Polanski, mind you), when Wells had it in his mind that the movie should be 1.66:1 based on... nothing. Polanski himself posted on the blog that Wells was wrong, which only made him even more indignant about the whole thing.
The guy is a hilarious tool:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2...iterion-cleav/
http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2...fied-mea-cu-1/
Old 11-07-13, 08:59 AM
Banned

I remember someone bringing that up.
Old 11-07-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember someone bringing that up.
Here's Polanski's response (found deep in the first link):

A colleague has made me aware of the discussion under way here, and while it amuses me beyond measure, I feel under the obligation to scholars and in defence of my magnificent friends at Criterion to set the matters aright. “Rosemary’s Baby” is being released by Criterion in 1.85:1 because that is the aspect ratio I directed the film to have, because that is the aspect ratio that I prefer, and because that is the aspect ratio I insisted upon. While there was protection in the filming for the possibility of inadvertent projection at 1.66:1, it was never my intention to allow such projection if I could maintain control of the circumstance of projection. This film is and will always be properly framed at 1.85:1.

And Mr. Wells, while I admire your sense of righteous fury, let me say to you that I know a little bit about fascism, and disagreeing with you is not the hallmark. However, your response to disagreement looks familiar.

Polanski
Old 11-07-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I've never even heard of a 1.66 version of RB, to my knowledge, there never was one, I always thought that 1.85 has always been it's native ratio.
The Criterion DVD from the late 90s, which Verhoeven approved, was released in 1:66. Since then, you might of seen an objection or two from fans who have complained that mgm/fox/Sony never released the film in it's "true" aspect ratio like Criterion did. IMO if MGM gets Verhoeven involved with the new transfer, it most likely will be framed at 1.85 since Total Recall was approved in the same ratio. I'm glad I never bought the original blu ray. Hopefully this will be the unrated cut too and that they clean the hell out of those added scenes so I can't tell which scene is unrated or not.
Old 11-07-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The Criterion DVD from the late 90s, which Verhoeven approved, was released in 1:66. Since then, you might of seen an objection or two from fans who have complained that mgm/fox/Sony never released the film in it's "true" aspect ratio like Criterion did. IMO if MGM gets Verhoeven involved with the new transfer, it most likely will be framed at 1.85 since Total Recall was approved in the same ratio. I'm glad I never bought the original blu ray. Hopefully this will be the unrated cut too and that they clean the hell out of those added scenes so I can't tell which scene is unrated or not.
You're responding to the wrong post. hanshotfirst113 was talking about Rosemary's Baby at that point, not RoboCop.

You are correct about RoboCop, though.
Old 11-11-13, 11:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If Verhoeven oversaw the release, and chose a 1.85:1 ratio, and it doesn't look like the original French Connection BD release, then I would be fine with it.

Also, the comments on those Jeffrey Wells articles are gold, Jerry!

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-12-13 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-12-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, Polanski really burned him.

You're responding to the wrong post. hanshotfirst1138 was talking about Rosemary's Baby at that point, not RoboCop.

You are correct about RoboCop, though.
That's what I meant, yes. I'd never heard of a 1.66 version of Rosemary's Baby, hell I've never heard of any version at all except for the 1.85 version except maybe the pan-and-scan version I saw on VHS when I was too young to see it .

Anyway, regarding Robocop, Verhoeven approved the 1.66 transfer for the non-anamorphic Criterion DVD way back when, I don't know if it was projected at 1.66 in Europe or not, and obviously, I never saw it in the theater, but all other versions I know of are 1.85, I think that was it's native ratio when it was projected in the U.S. I'm assuming that for this new Blu-Ray release they'll crop that subtly from 1.85 to 1.78, and I can't imagine Verhoeven would lose that much sleep over it, since other directors don't. I'm more interested in how the remaster itself will look, to be honest.

Originally Posted by Giles
as far as I know, yes, someone over at blu-ray.com saw a Los Angeles screening of it.

this event:
I'm disappointed that I missed that, sounds like it would've been cool. It was one the other side of the country, so I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, but still, sounds like it would've been cool . Was there anything to indicate that it was a proper DCP struck by the studio rather than just someone projecting the Blu-Ray and hoping no one would notice? I'd assume that if it was the latter, the Q&A folks wouldn't come and it probably wouldn't be a 35mm print, but one never knows.
Old 11-20-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blu-Ray.com has this listed as a "mastered in 4K" title
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/RoboCop-Blu-ray/89781/
obviously no word yet on if it will be the Unrated cut or not but this one could be worth keeping an eye on
Old 11-20-13, 11:39 PM

Can't people just add whatever they want to the blu-ray.com listings? I hope it's true but I don't think it's a very definitive source.
Old 11-21-13, 04:07 AM

Amazon pre-orders are live http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Blu-ra...28433&sr=1-101

Remastered. The future of law enforcement meets the ultimate high-definition experience - now remastered on Blu-rayT for flawless sound and spectacular image quality! When a good cop (Peter Weller) gets blown away by ruthless thugs, innovative scientists and doctors piece him back together as an unstoppable crime-fighting cyborg called Robocop. But while cleaning up the streets of violence-ravaged Detroit, Robocop is tormented by memories of his former life, and now he's out for more than justice...he wants revenge! Bonus Features: **Remastered Theatrical Feature Blu-ray **Q&A With the Filmmakers (2012) **Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop **1987 Featurette: Shooting Robocop **1987 Featurette: Making Robocop **The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Animator Phil Tippett **Deleted Scenes **Villains of Old Detroit **Special Effects: Then and Now **Robocop: Creating a Legend **Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg **Commentary with Director Paul Verhoeven, Writer Ed Neumeier and Executive Producer Jon Davison **Theatrical Trailer **TV Spot
Old 11-21-13, 08:27 AM
Banned

Nothing about the other cut? Alas.

If this is quality remastering, I'm so fucking game for this. Easily one of THE films of my childhood along with Predator. Now if only someone would properly work on that one.
Old 11-21-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing about the other cut? Alas. If this is quality remastering, I'm so fucking game for this. Easily one of THE films of my childhood along with Predator. Now if only someone would properly work on that one.
I keep saying the same, but I'll be REALLY bent out of shape if this isn't the unrated cut.
Old 11-21-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I pre-ordered for now but will be pissed if it doesn't include the unrated cut.
Old 11-22-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tyler Foster ‏@tylerfdvdtalk 4h
@FinnAtFox The upcoming RoboCop Blu-Ray is the unrated director's cut, yes? The FoxConnect listing says R, but I'm guessing that's an error.

James Finn
‏@FinnAtFox
@tylerfdvdtalk correct. Unrated cut. website will be updated.
Old 11-22-13, 08:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Is it too much to hope for to have both rated and unrated cuts?
Old 11-22-13, 09:05 AM
Banned

Well I preordered it. I would prefer both cuts. Aside from the violence extensions what was the difference in the two cuts?

I like the UC but I prefer the TC cuz of how blunt the violence was. The UC looked rough in the bits that were added. I'd hope they clean that up.
Old 11-22-13, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I like watching both cuts just for those violence extensions alone. Amazing what an additional 3 seconds and 200 bullets can change on a scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.