Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Monsters University 3D Blu-ray - 10/29/2013

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Monsters University 3D Blu-ray - 10/29/2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Monsters University 3D Blu-ray - 10/29/2013

Originally Posted by joltman
What was the Target exclusive feature?
A DVD of a 15 minute short called College Days.
Old 11-03-13, 11:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
which is a 'making of'' featurette
Old 11-04-13, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure hope Disney does a replacement. There's obviously a problem since so many people with so many different players are having issues.
Old 11-05-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I really don't know why Disney/Pixar went with Dolby TrueHD instead of keeping with DTS, from what I've been hearing its been nothing short of problematic.
The issue isn't the sound format. It's that Disney authored the feature to be broken up into a thousand separate m2ts containers branched together for no reason at all. (Some people have speculated that it's to make ripping the disc harder.)

They've had similar problems on discs with DTS-HD. My copy of Cars 2 dropped three or four horrendous DTS Bombs where all of my speakers exploded into super-loud popping static.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
$$$
Neither Dolby nor DTS charges any licensing fees to use their codecs. So, no, that has nothing to do with it.
Old 11-05-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 368 Likes on 277 Posts

Neither Dolby nor DTS charges any licensing fees to use their codecs. So, no, that has nothing to do with it.
But do they ever pay kickbacks to studios who use their formats?
Old 11-06-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
But do they ever pay kickbacks to studios who use their formats?
No.

I wrote this on another forum recently, but it's easier to just repost it here rather than say the same thing in different words all over again:

---

Neither Dolby nor DTS charges any licensing fees to use their codecs. While the studio must pay for the encoding software to author the discs with, this is a very small one-time expense that likely anyone on this forum could easily afford if we wanted.

I've spoken to both Dolby and DTS about this, and both companies have given me consistent answers. The reason home video studios choose one audio format over another has nothing to do with price, quality (both are lossless) or backwards compatibility (both formats are backwards compatible in their own ways). The choice comes down to which software is easier to use and performs the encoding faster.

Until the past couple of years, DTS software was more user-friendly for the studios and encoded a lot faster. (Even Dolby has admitted this.) As a result, most of the major studios switched to DTS-HD Master Audio as their audio codec of choice. Dolby eventually improved their software to be at least comparable to DTS, but by that point the studios had grown comfortable with DTS and saw little reason to switch back.

Recently, Dolby has added new features to its software that DTS doesn't have, such as 96k upsampling, in an attempt to regain ground on Blu-ray. Thus far, that hasn't proved as compelling a sales point as they'd hoped.
Old 11-08-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Here's a comprehensive description of what "College Days" is:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=546
Old 11-08-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Here's a comprehensive description of what "College Days" is:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=546
Yeah I'm taking my back, since I have the GERMAN Steelbook coming. I was hoping it was a bonus short.
Old 11-14-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
No.

I wrote this on another forum recently, but it's easier to just repost it here rather than say the same thing in different words all over again:

---

Neither Dolby nor DTS charges any licensing fees to use their codecs. While the studio must pay for the encoding software to author the discs with, this is a very small one-time expense that likely anyone on this forum could easily afford if we wanted.

I've spoken to both Dolby and DTS about this, and both companies have given me consistent answers. The reason home video studios choose one audio format over another has nothing to do with price, quality (both are lossless) or backwards compatibility (both formats are backwards compatible in their own ways). The choice comes down to which software is easier to use and performs the encoding faster.

Until the past couple of years, DTS software was more user-friendly for the studios and encoded a lot faster. (Even Dolby has admitted this.) As a result, most of the major studios switched to DTS-HD Master Audio as their audio codec of choice. Dolby eventually improved their software to be at least comparable to DTS, but by that point the studios had grown comfortable with DTS and saw little reason to switch back.

Recently, Dolby has added new features to its software that DTS doesn't have, such as 96k upsampling, in an attempt to regain ground on Blu-ray. Thus far, that hasn't proved as compelling a sales point as they'd hoped.
Josh, thanks again for speaking the truth. I worked at DTS during the roll out of DTS-HD MA and still need to clarify the above to a lot of people who think Dolby and DTS get some kind of royalty for movies.
Old 11-16-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the Spider-Man, Three Stooges and Twister's trailers and teasers, MU doesn't show where Sully taped little mirrors to Mike, (because their disco ball broke). Then Sully duck tapes Mike to the ceiling fan for their own home-made disco ball.

Spider-Man shoots his webs at a helicopter and pulled it back between the twin towers, where he made a huge web.
In Three Stooges, the beautiful nun comes out of the pool and all they can say is, "You look different. Did you cut your hair?"
In Twister, the tornado blows the silo's roof off and it come right at you.

Last edited by darkhawk; 12-14-13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts

got my "DIE MONSTER UNI" 3D+2D+Bonus Disc today from Amazon.de. Awesome!
Old 11-21-13, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Just like the Spider-Man and Twister's trailers and teasers, MU doesn't show where Sully taped little mirrors to Mike, (because their disco ball broke). Then Sully duck tapes Mike to the ceiling fan for their own home-made disco ball.

Spider-Man shoots his webs at a helicopter and pulled it back between the twin towers, where he made a huge web.
In Twister, the tornado blows the silo's roof off and it come right at you.
as I recall that shot (and entire scene) was supposed to be in the final cut, but with 9/11 that got deleted